Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What is the best (least expensive) clear to encase silver glass? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204441)

Jammy 2011-08-29 10:12pm

What is the best (least expensive) clear to encase silver glass?

I've never tried the Effetre Super Clear. I always used Diamond Clear, and I was sick when they stopped making it! I had over 3 pounds of it, but now it's all gone.....AND I never had cracking issues with it. I heard that Lauscha Reformulated clear is not so compatible with silver glass. Is this correct?
Because I love Lauscha clear but I mostly want to use it for encasing silver colors.
Is the effetre super clear compatible? Also, the last time I used effetre clear (before they made super clear) it had horrible scumming, and hazing. But then I was using 5-6 mm rods, so that was probably a factor.

Troll Lover 2011-08-29 11:40pm

The super clear is pretty nice, if you've got a good batch. You still need to be careful with your heat, I found it doesn't like a very hot flame.

Deborah 2011-08-29 11:59pm

Reichenbach clear is good. I like plain old Effetre, cleaned thoroughly.

Beadanna 2011-08-30 1:05am

Ron at R4GlassStudio has a sale on SC. And he has 10mm rods at the sale price. I'll add the link when I'm at the computer.

Here we are http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh....php?t=193109&

RyanTheNumberImp 2011-08-30 3:29am

Give lausha a shot. I've heard lots of complaints about compatability but I've been using it for six years in combination with almost every other glass under the sun and never had compatability problems. I suspect that lauscha needs a higher annealing temperature (by 10-20f) since I've always annealed hot but I've never done any testing.

Troll Lover 2011-08-30 4:02am

I prefer Reichenbach clear, but it is a bit more expensive than Effetre Super clear :). And if you want the best, it's Aether; just realise that it does alter the colors of your silver glass.

betsymn 2011-08-30 5:46am

I use Lauscha Reformulated and have never had an issue with silver glasses, but then most of my beads aren't entirely encased.

Jammy 2011-08-30 7:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beadanna (Post 3684443)
Ron at R4GlassStudio has a sale on SC. And he has 10mm rods at the sale price. I'll add the link when I'm at the computer.

Here we are http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh....php?t=193109&

Thanks for the link Anna, I think I'll give it a try....

Jammy 2011-08-30 7:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troll Lover (Post 3684484)
I prefer Reichenbach clear, but it is a bit more expensive than Effetre Super clear :). And if you want the best, it's Aether; just realise that it does alter the colors of your silver glass.

I want to try Aether, but it's sooo expensive! I looked on the DH website last night to see if I could get some --- but they're only selling it in 1 lb bundles. I want to buy a 1/4 lb first just to try it.
Reichenbach clear sounds good, never tried that either. :)

Jammy 2011-08-30 7:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by betsymn (Post 3684537)
I use Lauscha Reformulated and have never had an issue with silver glasses, but then most of my beads aren't entirely encased.

Thanks Betsy! Most of my beads aren't entirely encased either. I use it mostly for marvered in wraps, raised wraps, and to top off silver dots.

Jammy 2011-08-30 7:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RyanTheNumberImp (Post 3684467)
Give lausha a shot. I've heard lots of complaints about compatability but I've been using it for six years in combination with almost every other glass under the sun and never had compatability problems. I suspect that lauscha needs a higher annealing temperature (by 10-20f) since I've always annealed hot but I've never done any testing.

Thanks! I never thought about the higher annealing. I usually anneal around 950F.

Beadanna 2011-08-30 7:41am

You're welcome Melissa.
You can do the pickle the glass thing too to make it even clearer. I haven't done it but people are saying it's great to do it. Pat Frantz posted it in the Frantz newsletter. You can read the thread here.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh....php?t=183292&

Jammy 2011-08-30 10:34am

Pickling glass? Why can't someone just make some decent clear we don't have to peel away? I want my Diamond Clear back.
LOL, thanks for the link to the thread..I'll check it out. :)

Locococo 2011-08-30 11:10am

Melissa..........I've been using Lauscha since 4 years and never had problems.
I use it for all my silver glasses and my kiln is set to 970 F.

Elke

Polgarra 2011-08-30 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jammy (Post 3684843)
Pickling glass? Why can't someone just make some decent clear we don't have to peel away? I want my Diamond Clear back.
LOL, thanks for the link to the thread..I'll check it out. :)

pickling is different than peeling.
Pickling just cleans the glass. Glass is often shipped from overseas so it gets residue, dust, oils, finger prints, etc. It gets cut, moved, packaged, shipped and reshipped.

Pickling really can improve the clarity of glass you already own. Hope that helps :)

obsessionwoman 2011-08-30 1:22pm

What about the new clear from DH?....Zephyr....super clear and doesn't turn your silver foil gold color....supposed to come out in mid-september(only a couple of weeks) and the price was at $40 per lb.---last I heard.....check out thr thread.....Lenora

Beadanna 2011-08-30 1:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by obsessionwoman (Post 3685005)
What about the new clear from DH?....Zephyr....super clear and doesn't turn your silver foil gold color....supposed to come out in mid-september(only a couple of weeks) and the price was at $40 per lb.---last I heard.....check out thr thread.....Lenora

I think I'd pickle Ron's Super Clear at $7.75 before I'd spend $40 on a lb. I know the Zephyr is supposed to be wonderful and keeps the colours true. But that's a lot in the difference. . .

Jammy 2011-08-30 1:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Locococo (Post 3684872)
Melissa..........I've been using Lauscha since 4 years and never had problems.
I use it for all my silver glasses and my kiln is set to 970 F.

Elke

Thanks Elke. Sounds like maybe the compatibility issues are caused by just too low annealing temps. I've encased silver glass based beads with Lauscha before, and so far I haven't had any cracking. Probably because back then I was annealing them at around 980 F.

Jammy 2011-08-30 1:36pm

Yes thanks everyone for the tips!
I can't wait for Zephyr to come out. At least I want to try it.
Anna, I PM'd Ron about the Super Clear and I'm so happy! It's still on sale for $7.75/lb so I'm going to grab a pound of that and try it out.
I think I'll try the picking technique you told me about too! I'll try it for all my effetre transparent colors I've had sitting around for years. :)

Beadanna 2011-08-30 1:38pm

Ah good Melissa. I like SC - I got some lbs from Ron when he had a sale on it some time ago.
I haven't got all the stuff necessary to do the pickling but if you read the thread it does look as though it makes a lot of difference to any clear or transparent glass. Probably any opaques as well!

Elizabeth Beads 2011-08-30 4:18pm

TAG. Clarity. :love:

I also got some of Ron's Effetre Super Clear and it is very nice. He has a posting in the Vendor Sales area.

PaulaD 2011-08-30 4:45pm

Lauucha Soft clear is awesome and less than half the price of Aether.

suzanne 2011-08-30 11:33pm

Lauscha also reacts with silver glass, makes triton turn metallic green instead of blue. I prefer Reichenbach clear

PerfectDeb 2011-08-31 4:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanne (Post 3685725)
Lauscha also reacts with silver glass, makes triton turn metallic green instead of blue. I prefer Reichenbach clear

RC fumes to yellow for me if I use it with silver

betsymn 2011-08-31 5:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzanne (Post 3685725)

For me, it depends on how much I reduce it. I can get very nice blues with it.

turtleshelle 2011-08-31 7:50am

I've tried TAG Clarity, DH Aether, and Diamond Clear-all very nice clears but I am totally converted to Effetre Super Clear now. I do pickle it-but it doesn't need to be-its a very nice clear-and a very nice price!! Just ordered 6 pounds from Ron along with some of the short hand pulled colors-couldn't beat that price!!

khammil 2011-08-31 8:00pm

I've had compatibility issues with Lauscha Soft Clear and silver foil/silver glass. Sometimes it's taken months for the beads to crack. It's extra heartbreaking when they're already made into jewelry!

Reichenbach Crystal is the least expensive reliable silver glass encaser I've tried. Aether is awesome, too, and a lot softer which is very handy for some uses.

AVTrout 2011-08-31 8:22pm

I know you can get Aether "seconds" from DH, which is what I have. Somewhat cheaper. And it really is awesome, even the "seconds" version!

PerfectDeb 2011-08-31 8:23pm

ive been using CiM clear in thick rods lately and love it, because it come wrapped three rods at a time in paper the rods are scratch and dust free and all i do is the armpit wipe

Jammy 2011-09-08 3:09pm

Deb, I have some CIM in thinner rods, and it's so scummy I can't even stand looking at the rods. Oh the rods themselves look perfectly clear....no bubbles or scratches or anything. But put it in the flame and here comes the scum. So I am thinking it's the thickness of the rods that makes the difference? Am I right? If so I wouldn't mind trying CIM too.