Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Enamel Stringers (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70638)

cherie 2007-11-10 10:37pm

Do you still need to wear the mask when applying the stringer to the bead? Say for instance, you put the stringer aside for another day, do you still need to wear the mask although your not using any enamels??

Carols Glass 2007-11-10 11:12pm

I wouldn't think so.

However, lately, I'm starting to believe it wouldn't hurt to wear a mask all the time. I sure feel better when I wear a mask and I don't suffer from chest pain when I wear one like I do sometimes when I don't wear one.

I hate wearing masks, but I hate chest pain more.

alma t. mendoza 2010-10-10 10:44pm

\\:D/
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kerry S. Caron (Post 1453751)
There has been some interest in pulling enameled stringers and so I thought I would try my hand at giving my first tutorial in LE. I hope this all helps those who wanted to do this. smiles Kerry

Supplies, 1 rod ivory, needle nose pliers, and some enamels

Heat the end of the ivory rod till you get a pea size ball at the end.

Roll the end of the rod into the enamels, and heat. The more you repeat this step the darker the stringer.

Heat it in well but do not over heat as it will bubble away and this is called boiling the enamels. Which has it's place in some designs for sure.

Once heated thouroughly, take out of the flame let cool a bit then grab with the pliers and start to pull.

The slower you pull the thicker the stringer. the faster you pull the thinner the stringer.

Pull out to desired length and let cool.

Take your pliers and break off close to the rod. Repeat these steps using different colors till you have a variety of colors to work with.
Have fun. and always remember to wear appropriate safety gear when working with enamels. Kerry

Kerry S. Caron 2010-10-11 9:06am

Thanks Alma for posting the tut again.
Kerry

DesertDreamer 2010-10-14 9:18pm

A quick add-on for this great tut--if you use dark gray transparent or cobalt blue transparent and do the same process with black enamel, you'll get a great substitute for intense black at a much lower price. Kate Fowle-Meleney taught this in my very first class over 10 years ago, and I think it's still the best way to get a clean, very black, non bleeding, non purpling stringer.

Deb Hopeful Journeys 2010-10-14 9:33pm

Ooooh, Thanks for bringing this back to the front page. I love it!

Donna T. 2010-10-30 4:56pm

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertDreamer (Post 3244531)
A quick add-on for this great tut--if you use dark gray transparent or cobalt blue transparent and do the same process with black enamel, you'll get a great substitute for intense black at a much lower price. Kate Fowle-Meleney taught this in my very first class over 10 years ago, and I think it's still the best way to get a clean, very black, non bleeding, non purpling stringer.

What a great tip!! I'm going to try this one tomorrow.
Thanks for the tutorial. I've done similar using white base for this set. I can actually get some different pinks with enamels.

Kerry S. Caron 2010-10-31 7:56pm

Post some pics when you have some. Would love to see them
Kerry

ElementalsDesign 2012-02-07 10:52pm

Wow... this is so cool.

Can't wait to try it!

:love:

~Rachel

beaderjean 2012-02-09 1:02am

Cool tut Kerry! Thanks

And Ellyloo - - - love that bead!!! I must try that (darn, I wish I had some pink enamel - - ugh!)

Tillie 2012-02-11 7:21pm

What about using pixie dust if you don't have enamel of the color you want? Would it work in a similar fashion?

ElementalsDesign 2012-02-12 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellyloo (Post 1454712)
Okay, i'm going to post again....but there are lots of others who do enameled stringer stuff here's one way an enameled stringer can go-see how the colour isn't solid as when you just use a stringer with just that colour? I didn't do anything extra to the dots except to poke the centre of the flower so the petals point inward. I love the 'shading' that happens.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/at...1&d=1193514898

Elly...

That bead is SO pretty!!! :fireblob:

~Rachel

28676bhe 2012-02-12 7:40am

Wouldn't pixie dust fire out in the flame?

Barbara

Kerry S. Caron 2012-02-12 7:52am

Hey all.
Yes pixie dust would fire out. Enamels are
bits of glass so they melt right in. The enamels come
in a multitude of colors. I mix them together
to achieve new ones.
Kerry

essiemessy 2012-02-14 3:10pm

Thank you :-)

SunDoorBeads 2012-03-02 6:05pm

Kerry, firstly thank you so much for posting this!! It was just what I was looking for!! I have a couple of questions though:

You talk about kugler and reichenbach for the powders that you use but I only have Thompson's enamels for 104 glass will this method work?

Second, is there a good way to get that intense color on the bead without pulling a stringer? I am just VERY enameled challenged.

Oh and one last one if I am allowed :oops: I am assuming if there was a color I was after in the 96 line I would buy the "powder" version of that color correct?

Thank you Kerry and I will post pics of my beads once they are made!!! And a huge thank you to Elizabeth of Practicalmagicglass for sending me to this thread!!!

Kerry S. Caron 2012-03-03 8:17am

No worries Any questions are good.
Thompson enamels are what I use. I must have written something about making my own powders using R&K glasses.

You can use the enamels directly on the glass. Just roll your hot bead in it then return it to the flame to melt in.

Yes to achieve a certain Color you need to buy that one. But please never hold back from experimenting with mixing colors and base glass types and colors.

I hope this helps.
Kerry

BarbaraD 2012-08-04 3:48am

Kerry, I have just visited you site. Your beads are beautiful!

Kerry S. Caron 2012-08-05 7:52am

Thank you so much Barbara.
Glad you enjoyed my site and my beads.
Kerry

carolinesbeads 2014-07-20 2:14am

bump

Croft Eeusk 2014-07-21 12:37pm

OOOooooo!

That looks fantastic!

dj

p.s.
Thanks for bumping :)
There's so much good stuff on this board....

Petrova 2020-05-27 9:05pm

Wonderful works you guys did! I want to make those too. I got so bored during this lockdown period. Usually, I kill my time by reading articles where I can get a lot of fashion advice. But I guess this is another delightful way to spend the days too. Thx for the tutorial and the pics. I really enjoy watching them!:):)

Moira 2020-05-31 7:00am

Thanks so much for this! I've used enamels before but never this way. I love the painterly effects you get.
Another thing on the must try list! :-)