Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Help a Norwigian with english (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84798)

lampwork.dk 2008-03-09 7:41am

Help a Norwigian with english

well have one question don't know if I put it on the right site but I'm making my webshop in english and now i like to know what are the difrent between a focal bead and a pendant ? for me it looks like it is the same

houptdavid 2008-03-09 7:49am

A focal bead is usually a large bead that draws your eye.
It can either be strung horizontally surrounded by smaller beads.
or
Hung vertically and made into a pendant.

beadmama 2008-03-09 7:53am

If I see pendant I assume it is a finished piece that is ready wear on a chain or cord. Whereas a focal bead you may have to add components to make it wearable.

I also agree with David's comments

:) Becky

lampwork.dk 2008-03-09 9:02am

Thanks that help alot so greatful

Lisa 2008-03-09 3:00pm

A pendant can also have a self-contained loop at the top, whereas a bead with a loop at the top for stringing I wouldn't call a focal.

Emiko 2008-03-09 6:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa (Post 1716847)
A pendant can also have a self-contained loop at the top, whereas a bead with a loop at the top for stringing I wouldn't call a focal.

English is not my first language, but I disagree.
I don't make the type of beads, so I lifted this photo from somewhere (Sorry, whoever the creator is, but this is for education purpose.)

The pendant is not glass piece, but let's say it is a glass piece with self-contained loop. Wouldn't you call it a focal piece?
Technically speaking, a focal bead is a single dominant piece in a necklace regardless of the complexity of the bead. So it is a bit strange to call a loose bead "focal bead." But we call relatively complex and large beads "focal beads" because we think they deserve to be a dominant piece in a necklace. But if one strings a bunch of so-called focal beads and make a necklace, none of them are focal beads any more. Am I correct?

Tanner Studios 2008-03-09 6:56pm

Here is a large focal in the middle of the set.

Here is a couple pendent.

Hope this helps
Scott

Lisa 2008-03-09 9:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emiko (Post 1717293)
Are these still focal beads?

I think we're getting down to the difference in semantics; those could be called a set of focal beads, which would imply/let the buyer know they are large enough to act as focals on their own. Yes, if you string a whole necklace of "focal" beads, then none of them act as THE focal bead.

A pendant is something that hangs, while a bead is threaded. And yes, you thread the pendant onto your string, but what differentiates it is that it hangs down. There can also be an implication of front/back to a pendant.

As houptdavid said, hanging a focal bead vertically will turn it into a pendant.

Perleloftet, what type of things are you trying to decide to call pendant versus focal bead? Or have we beaten this dead horse enough? Lisa

Lara 2008-03-09 9:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadmama (Post 1716109)
If I see pendant I assume it is a finished piece that is ready wear on a chain or cord. Whereas a focal bead you may have to add components to make it wearable.

I also agree with David's comments

:) Becky

I have to agree here. I see a pendant as a ready to wear item (either with a loop or wire) on a cord or chain.

A focal bead is the bead used to make the pendant (if not with a loop already) or a bead that is the center of attention or the largest bead in the set.

lampwork.dk 2008-03-10 12:12am

Here are som exampels

this one would I call a pendant

This a focal

and now the trikky one this i would call a pendant

the lampworkbeads large i call forcal or just bead.

Emiko 2008-03-10 1:13am

Scott,
I apologize. I pulled my post and sent a PM to Lisa to ask her to delete the quote.

Emiko

CJ 2008-03-10 7:39am

Scott, I just have one thing to say, "WOW", what ever anyone else wants to call it, I agree with you. I would call it a focal bead the way you have it strung. I love the colours of your beads and the heart is to die for.
CJ

Emiko 2008-03-10 8:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJ (Post 1717919)
what ever anyone else wants to call it, I agree with you. I would call it a focal bead the way you have it strung.

One thing I would like to clarify. Of course the largest bead in his set is a focal bead. I didn't deny that. What I'm saying is calling loose beads "focal" is a funny thing since if a jewelry piece is made of multiple "focal beads," the "focal beads" are not focal beads. From what size up and what kind of complexity can a loose bead be called "focal"?

Lisa 2008-03-10 11:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perleloftet (Post 1717617)

and now the trikky one this i would call a pendant

the lampworkbeads large i call forcal or just bead.

Yes, it is tricky! That is definitely a pendant. The flat kiln-formed fused glass "beads" where they've inserted something so the glass doesn't slump and leaves a place to run a string through are almost all pendants, as they are meant to hang and dangle. Nice work! Lisa

HelleAlice 2008-03-10 12:04pm

If you have any other norwegian-to-english questions, you can just ask me, Ann. My english is pretty decent, and of course my noewegian is even better :smile:

lampwork.dk 2008-03-10 12:40pm

Thanks Lisa

Hi Helle nice to se some more Norwigians in here *S*