Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Need help with Boro mandrel beads (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289831)

boxfan willy 2016-09-18 5:50am

Need help with Boro mandrel beads

Greetings all.

I am a longtime boro worker and have a project that requires mandrel beads.

It has been a longtime since making mandrel beads and I am having some trouble getting them off the mandrel cleanly.

Using 1/16" mandrel, but could go up to 3/32", no larger. I am scratching the mandrel for release adherence and using FosterFire Smooth and Tuff.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Wil

fourpawsglass 2016-09-18 6:10am

I always soak mine in water which loosens the bead release. I then use a damp paper towel wrapped over the bead to get some traction and use a pair of pliers on the mandrel and just gently twist the mandrel back and forth. If the mandrel is spinning in the pliers, you can put the mandrel in a vice and twist the bead back and forth.

Sue in Maine 2016-09-18 6:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourpawsglass (Post 4878054)
I always soak mine in water which loosens the bead release. I then use a damp paper towel wrapped over the bead to get some traction and use a pair of pliers on the mandrel and just gently twist the mandrel back and forth. If the mandrel is spinning in the pliers, you can put the mandrel in a vice and twist the bead back and forth.

Same here except I add a few drops of dish detergent and I use warm water... Soak for a bit, grab the mandrel with pliers and ... oh! I use one of those grippy open the jar round thingies to get a good grip on the bead.

Sue

Cosmo 2016-09-19 5:35am

I would definitely go up to at least 3/32 mandrels. You'll be melting through 1/16 mandrels in no time. I also double dip my mandrels, but that will give you a larger hole than you probably want.

Three Muses Glass 2016-09-19 10:15am

I've always had good luck with Fusion for boro beads. I think there might be graphite in it or something, the beads slip right off with minimal effort.

jeepinwelch 2016-09-19 11:24am

If soaking doesn't work I use a cheap rivet gun (Harbor Freight $5 one works) to gently force it off. Less chance of bending the crap out of your mandrels that way too. Some people will use a rubber grommet between the bead and gun to avoid chipping the glass. I don't and have never had an issue but there is always the possibility.

Cosmo 2016-09-19 11:51am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass (Post 4878287)
I've always had good luck with Fusion for boro beads. I think there might be graphite in it or something, the beads slip right off with minimal effort.

I use Sludge Plus. Same idea I believe. Has graphite in it.

Mary K 2016-09-22 10:03pm

Another vote for Sludge. Only one that works for me.

GravityGlassStudio 2016-10-04 10:53am

I also use sludge. It is hands down the best bead release I have ever used. I always use a pair of vice grips to hold my mandrel and a damp towel to grip the bead. On the rare occurrence that a bead doesn't want to come off I will run it under very cold water for a few minutes.

Speedslug 2016-10-04 2:17pm

I second the idea of double dipping.

I also will sometimes even the surface of the dried bead release with either a wet finger or occasionally some of the emery paper I use to give my mandrels some tooth to keep the release from spinning loose in the middle of working it in the flame.