Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   How so you make your frit? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236174)

TortoiseAvenger 2012-12-07 12:11pm

How do you make your frit?

I've heard of a few techniques, and I'm guessing many people don't make their own, but for those that do, how do you make it? Do you use the water technique? Do you flatten the end of the rod first?

Do you use a frit maker? I've heard of using two pipes to mash the glass...

How do you "sort" the size of your finished product? Is it easy to find small sections of mesh to do this?

Lots of questions! Looking forward to your replies...

houptdavid 2012-12-07 2:04pm

http://www.mcmaster.com/#sieves/=khr4ff

Dr Bill 2012-12-07 2:17pm

frit maker

bye

Alaska 2012-12-07 2:57pm

Make your own from parts in the plumbing section at Lowes or Home Depot.

TortoiseAvenger 2012-12-07 2:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska (Post 4181789)

How much do those parts end up costing? Does lowe's cut the pipe for you?

Alaska 2012-12-07 3:27pm

Cost will depend on what size of pipe you get and if it is galvanized or not.

They will both cut pipe, but these are nipples and end caps. Thus cutting is not required as nipples come in a variety of lenghts ready to go. Overall it is two nipples (2 different sizes) and two end caps (2 different sizes).

Check some of the lampworking or pottery supply firms for sieves. A set of 4 runs about $40 or so depending.

glassymom 2012-12-07 6:01pm

I use the home depot set up. I sift mine by coarse and fine...... LOL
I only have 1 sifter which was from the dollar tree I believe, a cooking one......small holes and works good. I sort to two different sizes.

Eileen 2012-12-07 6:12pm

I don't have any sifter, but I don't make much frit. I just put it in a jar with some room, and jiggle it to make it settle into small stuff at the bottom, larger at the top, but I'm not picky.

one hot beader 2012-12-07 6:42pm

Move mouse
Click 'Add to cart'
Click 'Checkout'
Wait for mailman.

uncle louie 2012-12-07 6:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alaska (Post 4181789)

same method a hammer and 3 different size sifters from the flea market all for under $20.00

28676bhe 2012-12-08 12:20pm

I get a cup of water.
Put it under the torch head.
Heat the glass until it melts and drops down into the water.
Strain, dry, smash, screen.

Or, if I just want powder, I use a coffee grinder.

Barbara

Lorraine Chandler 2012-12-08 1:47pm

Frit is very ( can be) very dangerous to make. Be sure to wear a respirator and not just a face mask. Wipe down all surfaces and create your frit under very good ventilation.

From the ISGB:

http://www.isgb.org/info/safety/uplo...OutlineBib.pdf

FosterFire 2012-12-09 5:27pm

The water method as previously described, but I don't make huge qty either.

istandalone24/7 2012-12-09 6:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by one hot beader (Post 4182026)
Move mouse
Click 'Add to cart'
Click 'Checkout'
Wait for mailman.

this is also how i do it lol. i tried the water method, both with letting the melt drip into the water (in the process, getting all sorts of stringy scrap, and a few prince rupert drops to boot) and immersing the hot gather in water before it drips off.
for the little bit that i use, it's just not worth my time to make it. a couple ounces of frit goes a long way with me.

AVTrout 2012-12-09 11:19pm

I use the water method, although I did try making frit using my Magic Bullet a few years ago. I wasn't impressed (probably because the Magic Bullet is for mashing up food, not shards of glass!).

Kalera 2012-12-09 11:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by 28676bhe (Post 4182567)
I get a cup of water.
Put it under the torch head.
Heat the glass until it melts and drops down into the water.
Strain, dry, smash, screen.

Or, if I just want powder, I use a coffee grinder.

Barbara

This is what I do, only usually I flatten my gather into a paddle and then quench it, because I like the frit consistency I get that way.

Coffee grinder is good for knocking it into bits too.

PerfectDeb 2012-12-10 4:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by one hot beader (Post 4182026)
Move mouse
Click 'Add to cart'
Click 'Checkout'
Wait for mailman.

Same :)

Actually I've only ever bought clear and triton, every other one I have (and I have dozens) have been gifts

RSimmons 2012-12-10 7:13am

Get a small blowpipe and blow out a bubble like you are making shards. Put your thumb over the end of the pipe (important) and dip the hot bubble into a bowl of cool water. If you dip it slowly but steadily the glass will break off in small pieces in the water. No dust! You can then crush it up further under water and strain it for different sizes.

Robert

PerfectDeb 2012-12-10 3:25pm

Oh and prince rupert drops, education and bonus frit!

TortoiseAvenger 2012-12-10 9:02pm

Interesting mix of techniques. I've tried the water method... Works OK, but I'm too impatient to wait for the stuff to dry. I think I'm going to pay lowes a visit.

Anne Londez 2012-12-13 4:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by glassymom (Post 4181980)
I use the home depot set up. I sift mine by coarse and fine...... LOL
I only have 1 sifter which was from the dollar tree I believe, a cooking one......small holes and works good. I sort to two different sizes.

I've made my own set of graded sifters using yogurt pots. I poked holes in the bottom of 4 or 5 pots, large on the first one and gradually going to needle fine on the next ones. I stack them with larger hole size on top on top and an untouched pot at the bottom to catch the powder (I use tapered yogurt post so the bottom of one fits into the opening of the next one), put the frit in the top one, hold it close with my hand or plastic wrap and shake. Putting a small coin in each pot also helps getting the frit through the holes.

VivianLampwork 2012-12-13 7:27am

The water method is what I do. I've tried most all the other methods, but the water method is relaxing to me & you don't end up with dust & it's not as messy. I flatten my blob like Kalera mentioned because of the consistency. I dry it out on a paper towel after draining the water off through a little sifter/colander.

RSimmons 2012-12-15 6:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger (Post 4184706)
Interesting mix of techniques. I've tried the water method... Works OK, but I'm too impatient to wait for the stuff to dry. I think I'm going to pay lowes a visit.

Taking a little extra time to do it by a safer method isn't a bad idea. Your lungs and sinuses will thank you.

Robert

Dragonharper 2012-12-16 7:29am

Glass dust is a bad thing. One of the fantasy series I read used it as a weapon of mass destruction. Just saying.

boogiedog 2012-12-16 7:30pm

I'm a fan of using the cheap coffee grinder.

GabiLoraine 2012-12-17 11:09am

I WANT THAT FRIT SHOOTER!!! Not because I want to make industrial amounts of frit or anything like that... just because it looks AWESOME!

categ50 2012-12-25 2:26pm

I make a lot of frit for fusing, but buy my lampwork frit. I use the pipe and pounding plunger method. I first tried the galvinized pipe parts from Home Depot, but got a lot of crud from the pipe, and also metal pieces, so dirty frit. I then went to my electrical supply and purchased stainless steel parts. I've used it for 4 or 5 years now, and still don't have to clean the glass. Works for me. Those seives from McMaster will be my next buy. Expensive, but they look like they are worth the money.
Cate

Alaska 2012-12-25 3:35pm

The only issue with using stainless for the pounding plunger system is that stainless is non magnetic. Thus if there are metal fragments in the fit, using a magnet for removal will be ineffective.

With a standard pipe steel system a magnet can be placed in a thin plastic bag and run through the frit. Then turn the bag inside out to remove the particles from the magnet. Paper can also be used.

Ravenesque 2012-12-28 4:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TortoiseAvenger (Post 4184706)

I put mine into tinfoil 'bowls' that i make and set on top of the kiln, it dries fast that way :)

shawnette 2012-12-28 4:38pm

I used to make it using a coffee grinder. Now I just go to www.glasscolor.com. Wayyy easier and less time consuming.