Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Freddy's BS tutorial is baaaaack (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4230)

dogsrlove 2005-09-13 7:43pm

Freddy's BS tutorial is baaaaack- RIGHT HERE!

I was asked by Freddy to repost-

Peace Out and Enjoy! :waving:

Vanessa

weegems 2005-09-13 10:40pm

Very cool! I can't wait to try these.

UCBYCINDY 2005-09-14 6:34am

Question, is it true that these are weaker beads? I love the look, but heard people say they would never sell them!!

Cindy

orodrago 2005-09-14 3:17pm

:love: Thank you for the re-post so we could enjoy the tut -
nice work! (And I love your red-arrow graphics - cute touch!)
Thanks again!
Lavender

ChaseDesigns 2005-09-15 12:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UCBYCINDY
Question, is it true that these are weaker beads? I love the look, but heard people say they would never sell them!!

Cindy

Well since you asked. You may want to check out this thread
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2948

Freddy 2005-09-29 5:40pm

Actually...

for the ones who wondered about the durability issue, I got the chance to "crash-test" my BS bead bracelet last week. It was an accident (don't ask..:P) and as a result, my whole bracelet flung off my wrist and WHACK!!!!! right on the concrete floor. REAL HARD. I could not have it thrown it harder if I did it on purpose and with all my might. Well, happy to say most beads survived the impact, except the ONE that was already showing cracks before the accident (and that I was planning to replace anyways). Needless to say, after that, I had no choice but replace it... All of the other beads are fine, only few of the swarowski rondels and crystals I used as spacers did survive the shock though, so I restrung the whole thang and it is back on my wrist. I'm amazed at how solid those beads are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travelin'gal
Well since you asked. You may want to check out this thread
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2948

dogsrlove 2005-10-11 4:28pm

Hey Freddy,

Here's just a small group- I need to make 20 more. They are for my son's 8th grade science class. I sent a few in to show the teacher and now she wants me to do a "demo"! Thanks for the tutorial Freddy!

Vanessa

jennybee 2005-10-12 1:05pm

I made one too. Ok it may not be the most fanciest one but here it is...
Cobalt blue, BS, encased in clear. All moretti and done on a hothead. I'm not sure the exact size but its almost the size of a quarter.

Sorry if the image is too big, I'm still working on that.
Thanks

angie 2007-02-01 11:32am

WOW fab Tut!!!

will bicorbonate of soda work?

squid 2007-02-01 12:06pm

yes - it will - bicarb is bakng soda :)

angie 2007-02-01 1:42pm

I thought so, just had to be sure LOL

anyways ive tried it and yes it does work, its just fantastic and very easy to do.

krfteldy 2007-02-01 5:07pm

Thanks so much. Was wondering how this was done. Can't wait to try it.

Nancy

cherie 2007-10-29 9:05pm

Thank You for re-posting loversdog\\:D/

gubnavnania 2007-10-29 9:46pm

HAHA I thought BS is for BULLS***:oops:

Until I read the tutorial :P#-o

Nice tut :D I will give it a try :D Thank you :)

Karen Hardy 2007-10-29 10:54pm

Okay - I gotta tell you Freddie.
The first time I did your tutorial was quite a while ago when
you had first posted it.

I got all my supplies ready and started making beads.
Hubby comes downstairs, sees me sitting there at the
torch with my graphite pad in front of me and four
thin lines of white powder laid out.

I can't remember his EXACT comments...but they were something
along the lines of "oh, so now I see why lampworking is such an
expensive habit..."

jaci 2007-10-30 12:08am

OH MY!!!!!! wow that explains it all karen!!!!

Starfield 2007-10-30 8:23am

Karen that is soo funny...thanks for the laugh of the day....I needed that.

(other) Karen
Starfield Glass

TheGlassFlame 2007-10-30 9:30am

that is a riot!

Glasstastic Treasures 2007-10-30 10:57am

really great tutorial. Such a great impact for simple beads!! Thanks.

Angela Schoonen 2007-10-30 12:24pm

That looks fab. I'll have to try it as soon as I get more O2.
Thanks!

Angela Schoonen 2007-11-01 7:56am

Wow - that was disappointing. I made 10 beads last night and 8 of them are cracked when I got them out this morning.

Angela Schoonen 2007-11-01 12:40pm

Ugh. Make that 9 out of 10.
Anyone else with the cracking problem?
I'd love to figure out a way to make them without cracking, because they turned out spectacular otherwise.

slcuniques 2007-11-01 2:30pm

I wanted to add to this if no one minds... I've been doing these Baking soda beads for years but let me tell you.. make sure you have VERY GOOD ventilation.. Baking soda is hazarous if inhailed, fumes... I was told this by several lampworking a long time ago.. It's not harmful in powder form so much but fume inhailed is bad stuff.. Just be careful..

I was told that even with GOOD ventilation, I should wear a resporator...

slcuniques 2007-11-01 2:33pm

Angela, The way I do it, and I have had only a couple crack on me, is to encase it while the base with BS is glowing.. not molten, but glowing.

Angela Schoonen 2007-11-01 3:21pm

Thanks for the tip, Sandy.
Since my ventilation is not great, and since I'm pregnant, I'll probably postpone trying it again until I've got better ventilation.

Troll Lover 2007-11-06 3:16am

Great tut! Did you use a transparant colour in some beads before you put the baking soda on? Any difference in encasing then?

Beadbug 2007-11-06 9:11am

I have made a bunch of these since the tut was last posted and only a few broke. The ones that did break where ones that had been rolled in the soda more than once. They may have just had to many large bubbles. The ones with the smaller bubbles don't often break. This is just my experience with them. I made a bunch of the baking soda beads for my Pandora bracelet and haven't lost any of themand that bracelet takes a lot of tunks!

Bindi 2009-10-30 11:43pm

Hi,
Just tried this tutorial with bullseye glass and I am now in love with the result, it is stunning and if nothing happens to the bead I know what my friends are getting for christmas this year.

Beadnut52 2009-10-31 9:31am

Hi, Do these beads have to go in the kiln? I don't have one yet and can only put them in the blanket. I was thinking of making a few tiny beads to see if it would work. Has anyone else tried without the kiln?

Bindi 2010-07-19 6:05am

I haven't kilned mine yet and so far after two months of wear they are still going as good as new, though I don't wear them in the shower just to be safe.