Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Any Info on where (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294588)

Abacus Beads 2017-04-09 8:30am

Any Info on where

I can purchase a arm/hand rest for a Bethlehem Alpha torch? My hands tend to shake so I need something to steady them.
Liz R

AVTrout 2017-04-09 10:10am

I'm ordering a set of these: http://www.emeraldartistry.com/armrest_asp.asp

http://www.emeraldartistry.com/armrest4.jpg

They look pretty awesome and more supportive than my Creative Station arm rests.

Abacus Beads 2017-04-09 4:23pm

Thank you Alexis. I really need something to support my hands, not so much my elbows.
Liz R

artwhim 2017-04-09 9:06pm

The Creative Station wouldn't work with that torch?

Three Muses Glass 2017-04-10 5:43am

If it doesn't need to be fancy, try a couple of cans to get the right height. Full so they're weighted. And then you can put a bit of padding and tape some fabric or leather down so it's comfy. I use black pipe and nipple covered with some leather. It looks like a small dumbbell and I like that I can just move it here and there.

Trish915 2017-04-10 7:51pm

1 Attachment(s)
I got a (used) Creation Station for my Bethlehem Alpha and love it. Also, the small torch-top marver is also great to rest your mandrel against while poking or twisting at your bead, if that makes sense...

kansassky 2017-04-11 8:33am

Trish, where did you find this marver? I would like to try it on my Alpha.

Trish915 2017-04-11 4:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kansassky (Post 4922357)
Trish, where did you find this marver? I would like to try it on my Alpha.

I've had it so long, i don't recall where i got it. I was thinking Arrow Springs or Delphi, but not seeing it. I'll dig through some of my receipts and see if i can find it. I love that it has the smooth curve... great for barrel beads.

Trish915 2017-04-11 4:58pm

1 Attachment(s)
It was Sundance, but I don't see it on their site any more.

I've sent them a message to see if they might have some in stock. Fingers crossed!

AVTrout 2017-04-12 11:05am

The Creative Station would probably be a great fix for you. I have one but don't use the hand rests, I fold them down.

dla 2017-04-12 4:18pm

I've had the Creation Station for a long time and find it really doesn't help with hand shakiness. I'm actually looking for something else myself.

artsyuno 2017-04-12 7:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass (Post 4922158)
If it doesn't need to be fancy, try a couple of cans to get the right height. Full so they're weighted. And then you can put a bit of padding and tape some fabric or leather down so it's comfy. I use black pipe and nipple covered with some leather. It looks like a small dumbbell and I like that I can just move it here and there.

Knee high socks work well. Flip them inside out, cinch around ankles with rubber bands, roll up the foot part, flip right side out and place over the can. The rolled up foot will create padding on the top.

kansassky 2017-04-12 8:37pm

1 Attachment(s)
Liz, I have a friend who SWEARS by this arm rest.

I believe it is by Arrow Springs.
If you don't find it in their catalog...I would suggest you call and ask.

artwhim 2017-04-12 10:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dla (Post 4922644)
I've had the Creation Station for a long time and find it really doesn't help with hand shakiness. I'm actually looking for something else myself.

Have you tried flipping the handles around? I find that helps stabilize my hands better than the bicycle handle position.

Eileen 2017-04-13 5:25am

I have the arrow springs one. Bonus that it has the marver on it, where I keep my murrini handy for use.

dla 2017-04-13 1:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by artwhim (Post 4922710)
Have you tried flipping the handles around? I find that helps stabilize my hands better than the bicycle handle position.

Yeah, I've tried them every which way over the years. At this point in my life, not sure what will work.

artwhim 2017-04-13 10:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dla (Post 4922780)
Yeah, I've tried them every which way over the years. At this point in my life, not sure what will work.

Shoot! The Creative Station along with stick-on readers helps me. Recently I had to change my stick-ons to a higher strength and it made a difference. I find when my vision isn't as clear I hesitate too much which makes my hands shake more. Hope you find an answer that works for you.

Abacus Beads 2017-04-15 11:48am

Thanks for all the help ! I really appreciate it
Liz R

CreativeSpirit 2017-05-13 9:49am

bench top

1 Attachment(s)
I have my torch in the corner and can rest my arms on the bench top. It works great.

Peace Wendy

Speedslug 2017-05-15 1:04am

I picked up some "Yoga Blocks" from Walmart.

I eventually wound up with a total of four of the things.

They are 3 x 5 x 9 inches and I rotate them in multiple configurations to suit my mood.

I know they wont stand up to hot shards of flying glass as they are just foam blocks of some kind but I might have paid 9 dollars for them and I can replace them with a trip to wally world easily.

I guess I could wrap them in foil if I am playing with any frit on a stick but it hasn't been worth the effort yet.

With two blocks on each side I can get just about any position I want out of them and they won't hurt if I knock one on my foot!