Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   sunset blvd ring system? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194240)

designerbeads 2011-05-02 7:44am

sunset blvd ring system?

I saw some of these stainless steel ring bases at a show. They are from germany and have a screw that you can attach a bead to.

http://www.ginas-schmuckwelt.de/shop/page/5?shop_param=

http://www.paterperlo.de/produkt8.htm

Has anyone tried these and where is a good place to find the parts?

Laurie

suzanne 2011-05-02 7:48am

I've got the silver version, www.silberschmuck.de ( they are from ringding)

They are really cool to make your own glass bead tops, just make a cab on top of a 5 mm mandrel, anneal and glue the little screw thingie in, and you can switch tops every time.

Not sure where you can get them in the states but you could try www.kreageja.nl, she's dutch but I;m pretty sure she'll ship to the US

designerbeads 2011-05-03 6:24am

ok, thanks. Not sure I want to divert that way right now...but they look like they have possibilities...

Laurie

jjwiskus 2011-05-03 6:28am

Did you try McDuck-I got a ring form her. I just made a bead and put it on top with a screw on ball
jeri

Gail Joseph 2011-05-03 6:54am

Renee from jetagestudio.com or reneewigginsdesign.com is selling the whole system and tools in the states!--Gail

Troll Lover 2011-05-03 7:12am

And if you don't like to glue that screw in, there are also mandrels that will allow you to make your bead directly on top of the screw. Less chances of losing that little thing imho :).

Gail Joseph 2011-05-03 7:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Troll Lover (Post 3514245)
And if you don't like to glue that screw in, there are also mandrels that will allow you to make your bead directly on top of the screw. Less chances of losing that little thing imho :).

Yeah, Renee is selling the mandrel & nut system as well as the rings (no financial connection, just friends :love: )

Troll Lover 2011-05-03 7:24am

Oh didn't know that, but that's good news, hope she does well with them :)!

JetAge Studio 2011-05-03 8:23am

Wow, what timing...I just put out a new tutorial on my website yesterday about how to use the mandrel tools: http://www.jetagestudio.com/tutorials.html

I'd LOVE some feedback on the tut!

Yes, I am in the process of stocking the tools, and they do couple with the Sunset Blvd and silberwerk RingDing rings. I just have a few sets available now, so if someone is interested, please PM me, I can give you pricing. I'll be placing another order from the tool maker so if I don't have them now, I will soon. You can also pre order your tools, and should be available within 4 weeks.

I've been using these tools for several months and am totally addicted to them! If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

JetAge Studio 2011-05-03 8:28am

Here's some examples of the ring collections I've been making with the tools:

SuzyQ 2011-05-03 8:53am

Oh man, I love these Renee!! Are you going to sell the rings as well? I could easily become addicted to these too.

Gail Joseph 2011-05-03 9:26am

She sells the rings in different sizes and widths! (I only have a few, and am already obsessed!)

Miriam 2011-05-03 10:19am

Thread size is 2,5mm for both the Sunset Blvd and the Ringding system. If you can find2,5 mm bolds then you can use 2,5 mm bicycle spokes as mandrel. A lot cheaper. ;-)

suzanne 2011-05-03 11:12am

Renee your rings are awesome!!!

( Miriam what a dutch thing to say...)

PaulaD 2011-05-03 1:22pm

Those are awesome rings!!

JetAge Studio 2011-05-04 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frit Diva (Post 3514460)
Renee, do you know the thread size on the screws?
Jo

Jo, Miriam is correct, they are metric threads. It is funny she mentioned the bicycle spokes....certain ones "do" fit, albeit not perfectly...at least with my second hand Eddie Merckx bike spokes :lol:! Still, they'd need the disk to make the cab, and the spokes aren't sturdy enough to use in this application.

I will be placing my order for more tools this week, if anyone wants an email when they're in, just PM me! :)

Here's an image of another couple of rings I did that have stacked components

And this top I used Donna Milliron's new silver glass, and it's coupled with a "tray" base.

Crafty1 2011-05-04 11:29am

Oh no! I MUST HAVE THIS! Tell me more!

suzanne 2011-05-04 11:39am

Renee, just drop dead gorgeous! Will you be selling the tops separatly as well?

suzanne 2011-05-04 11:40am

You are already selling them! Awesome! *saving up my pennies*

Here's one of mine :)

JetAge Studio 2011-05-05 10:32am

Suzanne! Your ring top is just beautiful!! I really like how you did your center. Want to see more of your work!! :)

suzanne 2011-05-05 11:34am

Thank you, what a kind thing to say :)

Flonche 2011-05-05 3:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetAge Studio (Post 3514339)
I just have a few sets available now, so if someone is interested, please PM me, I can give you pricing.

YES me me me please!

I have seen Gail's ring and I'm in love. This is great news for all of us glue haters.

Miriam 2011-05-09 9:46pm

If the bolds are a bit to big for your spokes, dip a second time in beadrelease. Let the beadrelease dry and screw on the bold gently.

There is no need for a disk if you have a bit of heat control. I don't like the back side if you use the disk. The backside is rough and the edge can be sharp. Without a disk the backside is as smooth as the top and no need for grinding or polishing.

Kirima 2011-05-09 11:25pm

I use a bead release called "Dirty Looie" for my ring tops, i.e. on the Paterperlo discs. It has to be pretty thin and the mandrels should be freshly dipped. I try to not heat the bead release at all. This way, the residues will come off without any grinding or polishing. (Thank you Angela for this tip!)

Renee, great tutorial! And I just love your colorful and bright murrine ringtops!

SuzyQ 2011-05-10 3:09am

That's a good point about not heating the bead release on the disc. I use to make a lot of cufflink cabs on Inspiration Toolworks cab mandrels. I learned they were so much easier to use later if I didn't heat the mandrel first. Although I did have to maintain the right position or it would just fall right off mid creation, lol. I think the nut should take care of that problem.

JetAge Studio 2011-05-10 11:40am

Martina! You need to show YOUR tops!! :) You're my inspiration my dear!!! :love:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirima (Post 3525287)
I use a bead release called "Dirty Looie" for my ring tops, i.e. on the Paterperlo discs. It has to be pretty thin and the mandrels should be freshly dipped. I try to not heat the bead release at all. This way, the residues will come off without any grinding or polishing. (Thank you Angela for this tip!)

Renee, great tutorial! And I just love your colorful and bright murrine ringtops!

dicrodi 2011-05-10 12:39pm

Wow , I'm really excited about these, will check back, when everything is in place so I can see a price on the tools and also the ring base part. Dicrodi

Kirima 2011-05-10 1:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetAge Studio (Post 3525843)
Martina! You need to show YOUR tops!! :) You're my inspiration my dear!!! :love:

Sweetie, thank you, I just love to be your inspiration! ;-) But how could I show my tops? Normally, they are gone before I even have the chance to take photos! LOL! They sell like milk! ;-) So unfortunately, I don't have any new tops to show, but I found a few pictures of tops I made last year.

This is my most favorite and the 2nd one I've ever made, I just had to keep it for myself and do wear it very often. (DH Clio)

The next ones have been sold last year:

This one had been a special order:

And this one had been inspired by Andrea Guarino:

BTW: I often wear and sell tops made of only one color. Plain white or black or red or whatever. The "mystic colors" by Reichenbach for example do look just lovely and bright, they seem to glow and the "shampoo" look of those glasses is very attractive.

jaci 2011-05-10 1:53pm

OMG! This thread has blown me away with WOW WOW WOW!!!! :) Keep em coming! They are BEAUTIFUL!!!

Flonche 2011-05-20 6:20pm

Well I got Renee's kit and made a few tops, not good enough to show here but I just wanted to say that it's a crazy good system and I highly recommend it.
It does help if you have experimented a cab mandrel, but with this tool it's hard to fail.

Now if I only had the moolah for a silver ring... What I found online was around 60 euros and that's out of question. The steel ring is actually beautifully made, so that will do for now.

Thanks Renee!