Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Question about Momka's Glass (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75228)

LeahBeads 2007-12-12 5:04pm

Question about Momka's Glass

I got a sample pack of Momka's glass and I've been playing with it, but I'm not liking the results. Everything seems to have a lot of haze and I know I'm working it clear. Does anyone have any tips or advice? I've been working the Citrus colors and the multi-colored rods.

Thanks!

Leah

ginkgoglass 2007-12-12 7:32pm

I think Chad said this in another thread on haze -- but hot, hot, keep it hot, burn off the haze as you go. Have had pretty good results with Momka's colors by making a base, adding a twist of the mixed color rods on the base and quickly encasing before melting it in. Also a neutral to oxidizing flame is good. I seem to get more opacity with a reducing flame.

Kare TX 2007-12-12 10:21pm

3 Attachment(s)
Agree, hot, and oxy flame. I love the momka colors I've used. The cherry Blossom, antique beauty and silver dance multis seem to work best for me when I use them in beads that I have to shape and re heat a lot I'm getting incredible colors. The ECG strikes better for me in the kiln itworks a lot like GA Tequila Sunset to me. I mix the two together a lot.

Here are a couple of pictures cherry Blossom, antique beauty, rings are all momka (grn trails, gypsy qu and silver dance) and bead is silver dance

LeahBeads 2007-12-13 6:43am

Thanks for the advice, though I know I worked them hot and clear, so maybe my torch is reducing a bit. I'll give it a try next time I work boro.

Leah

Cosmo 2007-12-13 6:52am

The citrus colors work sort of strange. I get best results heating them up until the go clear and then sticking them right in the kiln. So, work them normally, and just before you are ready to put them in the kiln, heat the color up so it goes mostly clear, then stick it in the kiln. I anneal them at 1075.

LeahBeads 2007-12-13 9:48am

Thanks, Cosmo. I'll give it a try!

Leah

Karen Hardy 2007-12-14 6:11pm

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahBeads (Post 1531727)
I got a sample pack of Momka's glass and I've been playing with it, but I'm not liking the results. Everything seems to have a lot of haze and I know I'm working it clear. Does anyone have any tips or advice? I've been working the Citrus colors and the multi-colored rods.

Thanks!

Leah

Know what, sugarbear? Out of all the Momka's colors you had to
pick to play with, I would say that the Citrus colors and multi-colored
rods are what I would consider to be "advanced" glass. I had a
bitch-n'-a-half of a time getting these colors to work for me.

The Citrus does ALL kinds of wicked things to me if I don't handle
it with kid gloves. The multi colored rods are highly deceptive - unlike
other glass, boro isn't always WYSIWYG. So even though the rods
have these great nifty colors when the rod is cold, once you heat it
up it really changes what the original colors were. Gypsy drove me banana's
while I struggled with it. I finally got it to behave a bit, but I still have
a few "moments" with it.

Attachment 52056

Attachment 52057

Jamn! 2007-12-15 7:21am

I am thinking it might be a torch/setup thing since I have never had a problem with the citrus colors. Try using more oxygen while you are working it. I have a GTT torch and they tend to have a more oxy rich flame.

Kare TX 2007-12-15 8:09am

Agree I haven't had a problem once I figure out heat. I'm on a 8M with tanks