Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Runaway Kiln?? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95191)

e. mort 2008-06-16 6:16pm

Runaway Kiln??

I just went out to check on my Scutt GM10F kiln and it was reading ERR4 with a current temperature of 1795 degrees. I hit the stop button, but it wouldn't turn off so I had to unplug it. I tried plugging it back in, and it started heating up again...even though the display shows that it is "idle." Anybody every have this happen, and know how to fix it? Do I need to get a new kiln?

Bummer too since it was full of nice pendants.....

Eric

jjglass 2008-06-16 6:48pm

What type of controller Eric? I had my Bartlett do something really weird once. I unplugged it and let it sit for a bit. I went back to normal (once I stopped messing with it to get it to work) and left it alone for a while.

hopefully it comes back to life for you! Sorry about the pendants :(

skookum 2008-06-16 6:48pm

Hi Eric,

I showed your post to DH (electrician and instrument mechanic) and he said to replace the final power relay as it sounds as if the contacts are welded shut. The final power relay is inside the kiln controller.

Is this a fix that you would be able to do (soldering electronics)? If so, this is a fix that you can do.

Hope this helps,

hotflashwanda 2008-06-16 8:48pm

Sounds like your controller's relay switch has worn out--they can stop working in an "ON" or "Off" mode, mine has failed in both over the past ten years. I've found them easy to replace. Just get in there, remove the fried relay switch and order the part (I get mine from Digikey.com). You won't need a new kiln, just a cheap plastic part. I have a whole bag full on hand, just in case! :-)
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com

e. mort 2008-06-17 4:30am

Thanks Everyone. I will open it up today and take a look.

Ro 2008-06-17 6:59am

i recently had a similar but opposite problem, kiln wasnt holding temp but cooling. i called paragon and with the help of my boyfriend and a volt meter and their tech support on the phone, we concluded it was a bad relay. 20 bucks for a new one. i just got it and have to install it. hopefully all is well after that.

so maybe give the company a call, ive always had good results with tech support.
good luck
ro

Mr. Smiley 2008-06-17 7:36am

Yeah... sounds like your relay is stuck on... if it's not welded itself, you may be able to smack it with the handle of a screw driver and get it to release... it will need replacing, even if you get it to release... Sorry dude... kiln issues suck. :love:

e. mort 2008-06-17 10:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley (Post 1913515)
Yeah... sounds like your relay is stuck on... if it's not welded itself, you may be able to smack it with the handle of a screw driver and get it to release... it will need replacing, even if you get it to release... Sorry dude... kiln issues suck. :love:

Tried the smack with screw driver handle and it did the trick. However, I am going to take it down and have both relays replaced today. It is only about $50 extra to have somebody else do it while I wait.....and I am a bit of wuss about working with electricity. I started out in the electronics engineering program in college, and lets just say that I got a surprise from the power supply I was building one day......

e. mort 2008-06-17 10:34am

Now it I could just smack each of the destroyed pendants with the handle of the screwdriver and fix them so easily...... :(

Jamn! 2008-06-17 6:50pm

Hmm my first thought was a hammer but its probably not a good idea... I guess a screwdriver is smaller! llol
Sorry about your pendants!

chayes 2008-06-18 4:15am

Are they mini paperweights now?

e. mort 2008-06-18 4:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chayes (Post 1915136)
Are they mini paperweights now?

yeah, ugly mini paperweights..

chayes 2008-06-18 7:06am

I've made a few of those unplanned paperweights. The kiln got up past 2000 before i got to it. The bricks were glowing. Glass was bubbling. I've only had it happen 3 times to me in 8 years now i got relays in back stock for my aim. Now i'm prepared when the kiln starts making that buzzing sound.