Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Mica Powder (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279142)

ccaronn 2015-06-12 10:58am

Mica Powder

Anyone use them? How do they look in lampwork beads?
Thanks,
Christine

nevadaglass 2015-06-12 2:38pm

I have used them in fusing and they definitely give pieces a metallic look. I did some stencil work with them and then fused it in - specifically - stenciled gold mica powder scorpions onto black glass with a layer of clear on top for 30 belt buckles for a custom order in LA about 5 years ago (time flies) . They looked great - haven't used in a bead but I would expect encased in clear the effects ( metallic) would be similar. The metallic look after firing is similar to how it looks in the bag with that "pearly looking" sheen. Only issue is/was , if you apply too thick (at least in fusing) under a layer of clear it wants to bubble due to off gassing just as if you blob enamel powders on too thick under clear and fire too fast . That may not be an issue in a bead since you can work it more.

ccaronn 2015-06-12 6:08pm

Thank you so much!

Listenup 2015-06-27 10:27am

Check these out
http://listen-up.org/kitty/beads/pearl/charts.htm

ccaronn 2015-06-27 3:06pm

Great, thanks, Listenup!

Speedslug 2015-06-27 8:50pm

Nice work up Kay.

Thanks for putting that together and making it available.

bepnewt 2015-06-29 2:21pm

I bought Mica powder for beads a year or so ago and never really used it. I'm doing some fusing now - earrings and pendants - and would like to try to use the Mica powder.

How are you getting the powder onto the glass, Nevada Glass? The stuff is messy as can be to me.

-BEP

EchoTantuli 2015-07-01 12:16am

Oil will tame the beast with Mica powder... there is squeegee oil you can buy, but clove oil will work too. Mix it with the mica powder to make a paint. Just make sure the oil is mostly dried out... well with fusing it will probably dry out in the kiln...when working on the torch it can catch fire sometimes if it isn't dry enough, but doesn't hurt anything. There are also water based mediums too that you can use but I found they often bubble which is a PIA.

bepnewt 2015-07-01 6:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoTantuli (Post 4767654)
Oil will tame the beast with Mica powder...

Thanks for the info. Do I have to make sure that the powder isn't exposed so it doesn't burn out in the 1500* heat or can it handle being exposed?

-BEP

nevadaglass 2015-07-01 7:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bepnewt (Post 4767135)
I bought Mica powder for beads a year or so ago and never really used it. I'm doing some fusing now - earrings and pendants - and would like to try to use the Mica powder.

How are you getting the powder onto the glass, Nevada Glass? The stuff is messy as can be to me.

-BEP

mix with water or fuse magic medium and treat it like paint....but like echo said - too thick and its going to bubble which can be problematic - use it like a wash or water color and you can get some cool effects

Listenup 2015-07-01 12:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bepnewt (Post 4767686)
Thanks for the info. Do I have to make sure that the powder isn't exposed so it doesn't burn out in the 1500* heat or can it handle being exposed?

-BEP

All of the beads in my chart were annealed @ 968°F and exposed to the direct flame of a HotHead torch (abt 1500°F). The powder is the outside layer on all my beads. Some survived, some didn't. The only way to be 100% certain it will survive your planned application is to design & run a test first.

bepnewt 2015-07-01 12:56pm

Thank you. Your chart will be most helpful.

-BEP

Quote:

Originally Posted by Listenup (Post 4767770)
All of the beads in my chart were annealed @ 968°F and exposed to the direct flame of a HotHead torch (abt 1500°F). The powder is the outside layer on all my beads. Some survived, some didn't. The only way to be 100% certain it will survive your planned application is to design & run a test first.

EchoTantuli 2015-07-01 2:41pm

If it is left on the out side only a certain amount will stick and the excess will wash away so it isn't quite as blingy and looks like the beads in the chart do. If you encase it between two pieces of glass you can get almost a gold leaf effect like the peacock eye center.

EchoTantuli 2015-07-01 2:52pm

Here is a better picture example, you can really see the golden shine of encasing it between two pieces of glass... I hate resizing pictures so here's a link.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1191987...home_active_10

bepnewt 2015-07-01 2:54pm

Are you "painting" the powder on the inner glass as mentioned above then encasing over it?

-BEP

Quote:

Originally Posted by EchoTantuli (Post 4767808)
Here is a better picture example, you can really see the golden shine of encasing it between two pieces of glass... I hate resizing pictures so here's a link.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1191987...home_active_10

EchoTantuli 2015-07-01 3:00pm

Yes. I paint strips of sheet glass then apply them over a base bead... it would be the same principle in fusing. I prefer oils, but I know some like the water base mediums better, so that is just maybe a personal preference... oils never bubble though... but may catch fire if not fully dried when used in the flame but does not effect the design really.

Listenup 2015-07-01 3:14pm

Cool. I've not ever thought of this as a way of working with powders. Very nice.

2xMI 2015-07-01 3:48pm

I agree, they're beautifully done.

Mimi

Listenup 2015-07-02 12:25am

Where do you get glass thin enough for this, or do you just use shards?

bexrox 2015-07-02 10:06am

Sheet glass for fusing, cut into strips.

Neat idea, and lovely beads!

Listenup 2015-07-02 10:37am

Thanks Becky.

Speedslug 2015-07-02 5:26pm

Hocowa has sheet 104 glass in clear and colors. I think Frantz does as well.
I got some so I could transfer images from laser printed paper to clear glass and then wrap that around a bead (like dicro, with the image on the inside.)

bubblenbead 2015-07-03 2:46pm

Clever!