Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Customer Service Kiosk (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Where's my Cricket, GTT? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133064)

LampworkbyLori 2009-06-25 10:02am

Where's my Cricket, GTT?

A long time ago I ordered a Cricket on line.

A week later I called to confirm and they had no idea, so I gave my info and she said they would call in 2 weeks with my charge info.

Two weeks later I tried calling them. Left messages for a call back. No response. That's been about 2 weeks ago.

So, in case you're monitoring, GTT, I don't want that torch anymore.

Lori

kbinkster 2009-06-25 6:50pm

*Original post removed by author*

I'm sorry, but I am no longer providing free customer service for GTT, nor am I doing any more favors for them or defending them or their reputation.

Wally will not acknowledge that I have been of any help. Oddly, he says that I should be providing customer service for free and without any compensation or thanks because I am Willy's wife. Of course, neither of the two girlfriends he has had that worked for GTT have ever worked for free. Oh, he made a rule about no GFs or wives working at GTT in order to keep me out of the company. His rules did not apply to anyone he bedded down.

Please direct your questions to:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

570-835-9777

Puddy Tat Glass 2009-06-25 7:38pm

It took me a while to get my Lynx and Mirage but the wait was worth it. And the after-sale customer service has been excellent. They may just be swamped. I agree though, a confirmation email would be good business practice.

demcc2 2009-06-26 4:37am

Do we have an estimated turn-around time? I understand that they are crazy busy and Glass Jam was in the middle of everything but it's coming up to amonth from the original "estimated" 1-2 weeks...(yes, that is what I was originally told!) I would have been happier than a pig in......mud if someone just told me flat out, 'It will be about 2-3 months...."

Besides, I'm on vacation and I think I only gave my work contact info

Duane

kbinkster 2009-06-26 10:24am

I'm sorry, but I am no longer providing free customer service for GTT, nor am I doing any more favors for them or defending them or their reputation.

Wally will not acknowledge that I have been of any help. Oddly, he says that I should be providing customer service for free and without any compensation or thanks because I am Willy's wife. Of course, neither of the two girlfriends he has had that worked for GTT have ever worked for free. Oh, he made a rule about no GFs or wives working at GTT in order to keep me out of the company. His rules did not apply to anyone he bedded down.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

570-835-9777

demcc2 2009-06-26 10:32am

Kim, thanks for the explanation! Although I have no control in how they do things there, It would make more perfect sense if the standard colors are quicker than the custom colors. Thats the ONLY reason why I had ordered a standard color, thinking it would be handled quicker than the custom colors. And I sincerely hope the sale price of 139 will be honored and not the 167! I've heard of starnger things happening before, so yes, I'm concerned.

Duane

kbinkster 2009-06-26 10:55am

570-835-9777

lunamoonshadow 2009-06-26 11:55am

Reading these threads makes me want to order another cricket....even though I've already GOT one in purple....just in case...I'd even wait a year...I :love: mine so much....maybe I need a teal one? I think after I get a car, and a kiln, & all my bills paid off, I *might* "need" an extra cricket just in case something bad ever happens to mine :lol:...ya know...just 'cause....(or, in case I ever get an extra oxycon & a friend comes over ROFLMAO)

Howaco 2009-06-26 7:21pm

Am I the only one that thinks a Cricket would make a sweet hood ornament? :lol:

debkauz 2009-06-26 7:30pm

Mine took a little longer than I expected too and it was WELL worth the wait! I love that little torch!

krisdaka 2009-06-26 8:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JameyLynn (Post 2553165)

lol.... Jamey Lynn

demcc2 2009-06-27 4:01am

The torch or the insect...........actually, or either?

Duane

Quote:

Originally Posted by JameyLynn (Post 2553165)

Cosmo 2009-06-28 2:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbinkster (Post 2552474)
O.K., Willy talked to Wally again and Wally said that he was mistaken, they do send out confirmation emails. So, if you have emailed an order, but have not received a confirmation, check your spam folder and if there's nothing there, please call.

There have been some delays in this latest run of Crickets. The main Cricket builder is Josh. In May, he took off for about a week when his wife had a baby. That's a happy reason for a delay and would have only held things up a week. But now, there is another problem that is beyond GTT's control.

GTT sends out the main cone/valve body to be anodized. Usually, the turn-around time is quick. This time, however, there is a problem with the anodizers and that is holding things up. Custom color torches are ready and going out now (because GTT does that in-house). But, the standard purple anodized torches are being held up. Wally said that based on what the anodizers told them, the standard purple torches should go out in July.

One of my best friends owns one of the biggest anodizing/plating companies on the east coast. Usually does same day turnaround. They run all their standard colors every day. Longest it's ever taken was 2 days. Want me to put you in touch with him?

LoriBird 2009-06-28 2:48pm

I waited what seemed like forever for my Bobcat....then my Cheetah.....frustrating yes...because I'm soooo impatient.......but worth the wait??? oh hell yeah!

demcc2 2009-06-28 3:54pm

Thank-you, Chad

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo (Post 2554981)
One of my best friends owns one of the biggest anodizing/plating companies on the east coast. Usually does same day turnaround. They run all their standard colors every day. Longest it's ever taken was 2 days. Want me to put you in touch with him?

kbinkster 2009-06-28 4:56pm

570-835-9777

Cosmo 2009-06-28 7:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbinkster (Post 2555093)
Like I said, the turn-around time from the one they have now is usually very fast - usually a week to two weeks, the fastest was 2 days in their shop. I don't know what their hold-up is with this run. If you would like to PM me your friend's info, I'll pass it along.:)

I'll call him in the morning and see if he can do them. I know his baskets have certain size holes so there is only a certain minimum size he can do. But, I'm about 99% sure he's done stuff smaller than knobs for me in the past...

caspertorch 2009-06-28 7:34pm

I'm sad - I waited almost 4 months and gave up... dang. I guess that shows I am just SO not a patient person... lol

kbinkster 2009-06-28 7:34pm

Baskets?

I've dabbled in anodizing.

fireside glass 2009-06-28 10:11pm

Does anyone know of ANY stores that have ANY GTT's in stock, I would be willing to buy in a one of a number of diffent sizes if it is in stock and not a 'to be build after order'... I will not order a torch directly from GTT because of thier business practices (i cannot wait months for a torch and be lied to on the phone, and it seems they always have 'issues' that aren't their fault, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me...) If you online store has anything from cricket to mirage size PM me and maybe we can make a deal (please in stock and not made to order only...)....

Kevin Sterbakov
Fireside Glass

Cosmo 2009-06-29 7:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbinkster (Post 2555283)
Baskets?

I've dabbled in anodizing.

Yeah. The parts go into a basket that is lowered into the anodizing tank so they can do multiple parts at one time.

kbinkster 2009-06-29 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo (Post 2555682)
Yeah. The parts go into a basket that is lowered into the anodizing tank so they can do multiple parts at one time.

It was my understanding that the big operations use racks for anodizing multiple items because spot welding individual items to hanging wires wouldn't be practical.

The parts being anodized cannot touch each other. All points of contact will not be anodized. Rack contacts and spot welded spots are usually somewhere discrete that won't be seen - like screw holes and under caps and stuff like that.

ArtcoInc 2009-06-29 10:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbinkster (Post 2555963)
It was my understanding that the big operations use racks for anodizing multiple items because spot welding individual items to hanging wires wouldn't be practical.

The parts being anodized cannot touch each other. All points of contact will not be anodized. Rack contacts and spot welded spots are usually somewhere discrete that won't be seen - like screw holes and under caps and stuff like that.

Since anodizing is an electro-plating process, the parts being plated must make electrical contact with whatever holds them in the plating tank. Larger parts are usually hung from a rack. Like you said, the platter will try to rack on a non-visible feature, such as a threaded hole. I have not seen where the parts are actually spot-welded to the hanging wires.

Very small parts, however, are often put into a basket. Like you said, where ever the part contacts the rack or basket, there will be a small point where there won't be any anodizing. This is inevitable. I suspect that the baskets are shaken occasionally, moving the parts around in the baskets, making the initial points of contact available for plating.

Malcolm

Cosmo 2009-06-29 11:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtcoInc (Post 2555988)
Since anodizing is an electro-plating process, the parts being plated must make electrical contact with whatever holds them in the plating tank. Larger parts are usually hung from a rack. Like you said, the platter will try to rack on a non-visible feature, such as a threaded hole. I have not seen where the parts are actually spot-welded to the hanging wires.

Very small parts, however, are often put into a basket. Like you said, where ever the part contacts the rack or basket, there will be a small point where there won't be any anodizing. This is inevitable. I suspect that the baskets are shaken occasionally, moving the parts around in the baskets, making the initial points of contact available for plating.

Malcolm

I'm assuming that's the case. I have never done it, and only briefly looked at his facility. I'm just going on what he told me. I know he has done small pieces for me in the past for 1:10 scale radio control cars.

kbinkster 2009-06-29 11:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtcoInc (Post 2555988)

Malcolm

Baskets are suitable for small and irregularly shaped things. The valve body/cone of a torch has a large exposed smooth area. I could see the possibility for multiple lines of contact, not just points of contact, from the cones touching each other and big areas of lots of little contact points where a cone came into contact with a basket.

When there are no places on a part with a hole to hook into, and where it is important that the finish be even with as few irregularities as possible, then a hanging wire can be spot welded to a very small point on the part and the part suspended into the tank.

Cosmo 2009-06-29 11:41am

I'm not actually sure how he does it. But, he does it. They do all kinds of stuff for the government with incredibly strict tolerances so I'm assuming they know what they are doing.

I called him this morning to ask if he could do the knobs and torch bodies. He's out of town until later this week.

kbinkster 2009-06-29 12:32pm

570-835-9777

kbinkster 2009-06-29 12:36pm

570-835-9777

kbinkster 2009-06-29 12:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo (Post 2556073)
I'm not actually sure how he does it. But, he does it. They do all kinds of stuff for the government with incredibly strict tolerances so I'm assuming they know what they are doing.

I called him this morning to ask if he could do the knobs and torch bodies. He's out of town until later this week.

A lot of anodizers have government contracts and do government jobs and those jobs often take precedence over civilian jobs.

Listenup 2009-06-29 1:28pm

When I used to work for O.C.Tanners (in a prior life), they would solder a handling post to an area of the object that would not be seen, and then that post was wired to dangle the object in the plating tank. When the post was no longer needed in the manufacturing process, the post was removed. the post doesn't need to be really big, just big enough to wrap the copper wire around it. Of course, this was for gold plating, but I assume the process was the same.