Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   What do you do with gLass joints? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119402)

squid 2009-01-20 6:13pm

What do you do with gLass joints?

GLASS, not gRass ;)

I saw some advertised and was wondering what they are for?

rg9403 2009-01-20 6:44pm

you mean the ground joints. Use em' to make slide bowls for water pipes.

squid 2009-01-20 6:46pm

slide bowls?

Cosmo 2009-01-20 7:17pm

Okay... I'm probably shattering everyone's image of me being a squeaky-clean little marble maker, but here goes...

A lot of pipes have carbs on them. You hold your finger over the carb hole, suck smoke into the pipe, move your finger off the carb, then inhale the smoke. With a slide, the stuff you are smoking goes into the top of the slide. You suck the smoke into the body of the pipe, then pull the slide out to inhale the smoke.

Granger'sGlass 2009-01-20 7:23pm

A slide is the bowl of a glass water pipe with a male ground joint on the bottom.
http://www.glasspipes.org/Img196472_...040651.JPG.asp

squid 2009-01-20 7:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo (Post 2335387)
Okay... I'm probably shattering everyone's image of me being a squeaky-clean little marble maker, but here goes...

A lot of pipes have carbs on them. You hold your finger over the carb hole, suck smoke into the pipe, move your finger off the carb, then inhale the smoke. With a slide, the stuff you are smoking goes into the top of the slide. You suck the smoke into the body of the pipe, then pull the slide out to inhale the smoke.

Yes, I often think of you as squeaky clean ;)

I get it - thanks! :)

chayes 2009-01-20 7:35pm

I'm gonna be making water globes with ground glass fittings so you don't have to remove the tube from the plant pot + it would be easier to fill em.

earlbacher 2009-01-20 7:53pm

that sounds interesting...

rg9403 2009-01-21 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chayes (Post 2335466)
I'm gonna be making water globes with ground glass fittings so you don't have to remove the tube from the plant pot + it would be easier to fill em.

Thats an awesome idea... You should try making multi-sectional globes...maybe with a cascading effect.

beadsoncypress 2009-01-21 5:09am

Ali is a scientific glass person...(Alive on LE I think) she would know!

pierces*designs 2009-01-21 6:48am

LOL, I am sitting here reading this and going "I don't remember any of this stuff!" Of course the last time I used anything I was 14. LOL My parents owned a head shop and I grew up playing on the floor of the shop with the roach clips and seeing all the pretty bongs. Guess it took away my desire to do that stuff a lot.

rg9403 2009-01-21 1:28pm

If you have a water pipe aka bong the best and only way to go is with a slide bowl. preferably with ground joints so its glass on glass.

AuntD 2009-01-21 5:39pm

I hate to sound like the dweeb I am, but I don't get where you put whatever you're smoking in the pipes in the picture that Granger's Glass provided. I'm assuming you hold the pipes horizontally, with the ground end used to inhale, and I see the hole over which I assume you put your finger. But if you just put the tobacco in the end of the pipe, I don't see how you don't either 1)inhale burning tobacco (not recommended by the Surgeon General) or drop it out of the end when you pass it around (not recommended by the Fire Marshall).

earlbacher 2009-01-21 6:00pm

the ground glass joints allow you to take them apart... so you need a male and female... they are suppose to provide a better seal than a rubber gromet, and look cooler as well i imagine

ruca 2009-01-21 8:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuntD (Post 2338278)
I hate to sound like the dweeb I am, but I don't get where you put whatever you're smoking in the pipes in the picture that Granger's Glass provided. I'm assuming you hold the pipes horizontally, with the ground end used to inhale, and I see the hole over which I assume you put your finger. But if you just put the tobacco in the end of the pipe, I don't see how you don't either 1)inhale burning tobacco (not recommended by the Surgeon General) or drop it out of the end when you pass it around (not recommended by the Fire Marshall).

the picture shows a "slide" which then goes into a water pipe. you don't smoke directly off it.

AuntD 2009-01-21 9:01pm

Ah. I get it. Thanks.

:)

menty666 2009-01-21 9:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chayes (Post 2335466)

Don't they need to be closed at the top though to create a kind of vacuum? My cat's watering dish is like that where as long as the bottom hole is covered water doesn't gush out.

Karen Hardy 2009-01-21 10:37pm

Oh no! You've totally shattered my image of you as the
forum's squeaky clean former alter boy. I'm throwing
away that piece of toast I found with your image on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo (Post 2335387)

Mr. Smiley 2009-01-22 6:32am

You can also use them for vessels... completely not related to smoking anything. You can store cooking oil in the vessels or what ever you want... can be small for perfume too. They make lots of sizes. They are used in lab/scientific industries... I guess it really depends on what you put on either end of the ground joint, because it's just a glass component... ;)

AlivELampworK 2009-01-22 10:54am

hey squidly. for scientific glass use, they're used to connect different apparatus together to make a system for use in a laboratory. if you have the option of being able to take an assembly apart, its easier to ship, clean, replace parts of, etc. it also gives the buyer/researcher different options, they can build their own system without being obligated to a certain condenser, flask, etc.

if you want to read more about it..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_glass_joints

they come in varied types, sizes.. most of the art glass companies only carry standard taper ground joints..while there are o-ring, ball and socket, etc.. available to use. chemglass is a common glass joint supplier for the scientific industry. they have glass toolers on site that make them and they also have a grinding room that finishes them, so all of their ground joints are made on site. its a badass thing to watch, btw.

they have actually automated some of the basic sizes..at chem there is a herbert arnold machine that produces 24/40 joints. that was sweet too.

if you have any other questions, just ask. ;)

lavendar420 2009-01-22 12:16pm

I did a workshop at glass stock with Barry Lafler where we made perfume bottles with these. I hadn't really done boro at all at the time & needed a *lot* of help, but managed to pull it off. The female end became the bottle, the male end was decorated & became the stopper.

chayes 2009-01-22 1:21pm

you can also oil paint the ground parts to match your piece.

wickedglass 2009-01-23 9:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by squid (Post 2335171)
GLASS, not gRass ;)

doesn't matter, I'll smoke it anyway ... don't bogart that ... ahem ... glass ;) ;) ;) , pass it along, I think it's Cosmo's turn.

murf 2009-01-24 6:41pm

does anyone have a source for ground joints smaller than 14mm?

squid 2009-01-24 6:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlivELampworK (Post 2340009)
hey squidly. for scientific glass use, they're used to connect different apparatus together to make a system for use in a laboratory. if you have the option of being able to take an assembly apart, its easier to ship, clean, replace parts of, etc. it also gives the buyer/researcher different options, they can build their own system without being obligated to a certain condenser, flask, etc.

if you want to read more about it..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_glass_joints

they come in varied types, sizes.. most of the art glass companies only carry standard taper ground joints..while there are o-ring, ball and socket, etc.. available to use. chemglass is a common glass joint supplier for the scientific industry. they have glass toolers on site that make them and they also have a grinding room that finishes them, so all of their ground joints are made on site. its a badass thing to watch, btw.

they have actually automated some of the basic sizes..at chem there is a herbert arnold machine that produces 24/40 joints. that was sweet too.

if you have any other questions, just ask. ;)

Look at you with the big brain ;)

Very cool, btw :)

Mr. Smiley 2009-01-24 6:55pm

Have you checked with ABR? Ross had boxes and boxes and boxes last time I was there... not sure how small though.

AlivELampworK 2009-01-24 8:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by murf (Post 2344399)
does anyone have a source for ground joints smaller than 14mm?

murf let me check my studio when i get there tomorrow.. i know i have some little ones, i'll let you know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by squid (Post 2344419)
Look at you with the big brain ;)

Very cool, btw :)

hey don't make funna me, squidddly!! :poke: :lol: :love:

murf 2009-01-24 8:03pm

cool, Ali let me know what you come up with thanks
not sure about what ABR would stock, I would assume slides sizes 14&19
Ill give them a call on Monday, thanks Brent
hoping to find some small ones for perfume bottles

murf 2009-01-24 8:08pm

opps your right Brent they stock 10's
thanks again

AlivELampworK 2009-01-24 9:36pm

murf check chemglass.com. they make them in house and probably have the best deal.