Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Boro '"V" Soft glass (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86181)

tuffydog 2008-03-21 1:31pm

Boro '"V" Soft glass

I have been working Boro since I started melting glass. I see so many beautyful piece of art work in the gallery, and want to do it as well,at least try to do it. I have found that every thing I do is so pour work that I get discouraged I put it away again. Have many of you done this and just gone back to boro and been satisfied. If so I will have a huge garage sale, no since in keeping it when I can sell it and buy more beautiful Boro colors. I seem to do fairly well with the Boro and am comfortable with it. Thanks for the input.Kathie

debgay 2008-03-21 2:15pm

One of the biggest things with soft is if you work it to hot it ruins it. I find if I work boro first I burn soft to death. I try to be sure I either start out in soft if I want to do both in the same day. I love working with both because there are things they both are good for.What kind of soft are you using?

hotcoles 2008-03-21 3:07pm

Kathie, I certainly wouldn't give up yet! I have found after working with boro for a few weeks that when I go back to soft, I tend to keep turning the heat way down so that I'm working it slower (much like how it is when working with boro). Working with boro has taught me to have better heat control with the soft glass...not taking it to that soupy consistancy, where you lose control.

glassroger 2008-03-21 3:20pm

I also work with both types of glass and I agree with Heidi, you just need to turn your flame way down so that it is softer. I also have found that working with both types of glass has improved my skills and I have learned how to better control the glass. If you watch an experienced lampworker, you may notice that they tend to adjust the flame to what they are doing at the time. They may even adjust the flame many times during the project they are working on. Don't be afraid to play around with different flame settings. A hard crisp flame might work better for some things and a soft bushy flame might work better for others. I wouldn't throw out the soft glass just yet, give it time and learn to work with different types of glass. This will give you an infinite color palate and you won't be limited by the glass that you use.

menty666 2008-03-22 11:09am

I'm a menace with soft glass :) but like anything it's PPP and EEE (experimentx3!)

lavendar420 2008-04-08 4:22pm

Do what makes you happiest! I go back & forth, all diagonal style like & learn new things all over the place. After some time with boro, I'm always thrilled at how quickly soft glass melts & how many colors there are... then when I switch back to boro I love the longer working time & fun striking & reducing effects. But if soft glass makes you sad, while boro makes you happy, melt boro!