Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Boro Eyewear Poll. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17425)

e. mort 2006-03-22 7:14pm

Boro Eyewear Poll.

I am getting ready to purchase a pair of prescription glasses that will hopefully do double duty for both boro and softglass. If worse comes to worse I supposed I could always wear a clip on over a pair of softworking glasses, but I hope that isn't necessary. Man, these things are flipping expensive, so buying two seperate pair is out of the question.

Anyway, I wanted to do a poll on what you all would prefer to wear for boro. Please feel free to leave comments both for and against any of the choices. (I am including didymium in the list not because I plan to get a pair, but I know of a few people who still use them for boro.)

Eric

dogmaw 2006-03-22 8:16pm

None of the above. I got a pair of 3/5 splitties from Aura lens. Love em!

kbinkster 2006-03-22 9:48pm

Didys for clear boro is o.k. (not the best, but o.k.). Didys for fuming and colored boro is not o.k.! You need protection from IR.

elle 2006-03-22 10:35pm

I needed to make a similar decision when buying eye protection for boro and soft glass, since I wear prescription lenses too. I decided it would be way more cost effective to get an Aura Table Shield, which can be used for both - flip up the boro shade for soft glass, and flip it down for boro. I figured if my prescription changed (which it does from time to time - not significantly, but enough that it necessitates a new prescription) I wouldn't need a new prescription for the glasswork lenses also. They ARE expensive, and wouldn't want to have to buy new ones every few years.

Of course, the Table Shield might not be the best decision if you are going to be blowing glass, but it seems like it would be good for most anything else, like beads, marbles and smaller sculpture. I LOVE mine, and I'm so glad I got it instead of lenses.

Something to consider...

Sarah :)

CharleneN 2006-03-22 10:41pm

This is a timely thread for me too!

Sarah I almost ordered a table sheild but was concerned it would be in my way. Was it hard to get used to...do you feel as tho you have to reach around it?

I would love to see some pics of one in use.

firefreak 2006-03-22 10:47pm

I wear didy's with flip down 3.5 . change the flip downs every 5 or 6 months.

MikeAurelius 2006-03-23 6:10am

Ummm - Kim? Didymium is NOT safe for boro!!! Yes, I know a number of people use them, but it IS NOT SAFE for your eyes!!! Same with ACE/AUR-92/PHILLIPS-202. Neither of these filters have IR filters, and IR is the chief source of damage to the eye when working borosilicate glass.

I've posted elsewhere about the Phillips Boroscopes unsuitability for working boro, so I don't see the need to go into it here.

We do have several new filters coming out very soon (as soon as I can get my sorry ass in gear and get the website updated!) --

AGW-186 is being replaced by the AGW-300 filter, a one piece, non-laminated filter (which means thinner and lighter in weight).

The AGW-200 is being discontinued completely.

The AGW-250 is a new filter, to complement the AGW-203. The AGW-203 is available only in a shade 3.5, but the new AGW-250, full coverage as well will be available in all our standard shades: 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 etc.

The AGW-286 is being modified to have spit shades only (for example 3/5). The reason for this is the new AGW-300 filter. There will no longer be any reason to have the clear IR filter on the upper portion of the lens, since the new AGW-300 filter glass has an IR filter built in to the glass.

AGW-325 is the "new" filter and will have a single filter wafer of a standard 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 etc welding filter, plus the upper "clear" section.

You can order any of these filters now, the glass is available, however, they are available only in non-prescription lenses (plano power). The prescription lenses will be available in about 2-3 months.

I should also mention that with the new filter line up, prices are falling! We've cut the price on the AGW-286 by about 25% (mainly because we don't have that expensive "clear" IR filter to deal with!).

Call Holly 800-281-2872 ext 16 for more information.

Mr. Smiley 2006-03-23 6:26am

I may like the 325 with a shade 2 on the bottom... how much are they going to be for prescriptions Mike?

Tanya 2006-03-23 6:34am

I didn't vote on what I'd prefer, but on what I just purchased. I got the AGW 203s because they're adequate for boro AND Aura Lens could use my existing clip on frames for the lenses. I used them yesterday for the first time and was very comfortable viewing the hot glass (which I wasn't with my previous flip-up shades.) Thanks Mike!

smutboy420 2006-03-23 9:04am

I'm using demon wrap 286's with lower 2/3 shade 6 and the top 1/3rd shade 3.
Enough covrage for even huge all colored boro with fume. I don't get sun burned red eyes anymore. My baby blues are real sensitive.

kbinkster 2006-03-23 9:50am

Well, crap, where did I hear that using didymium for clear was o.k.? It was probably from some scientific blowers. At any rate, I believe most art glass workers use color or fume, and didymiums won't cut it. When I work boro, I wear my split lens goggles.

e. mort 2006-03-23 10:40am

Has anybody tried the AGW 286 for working softglass? If so, are you able to see what your are working on with them?

I am thinking that the new AGW 300 with a welders flip up may be the best compromise for working both types of glass when you can't afford two pairs of glasses. Opinions???

Thanks,

Eric

KLittle 2006-03-23 12:46pm

I have the old AGW-286 Octal Flip Down shade 4's. What I love about them is being able to flip up the shade to see what I am doing when I am not in the flame. (Like turning to put my glass in the kiln) What I don't like about them is that they are so heavy that I feel like I should have a metal plate put in the bridge of my nose to support those suckers! I literally have indents on the sides of my nose for hours after I am done torching. The pro's outweigh the con's and good eye protection is a necessity .... but I still wish they were lighter!

Maybe that is why they were discontinued?

Kari

Edited to add that it is my understanding that I don't have to replace the 'flip down shade' on these like you do with the welders clip-ons. Is this correct? For the price I paid I assumed they would be effective for as long as I use the glasses.

Lisi 2006-03-24 11:19am

I made just a handful of boro beads while wearing my AUR92s, but got smart real quick. I know I'm not supposed to be doing that.....8-[

I'm curious to know - are the proper boro protection lenses real dark?? I have a pair of shade 5 welder's glasses that are so darn dark that I can barely see through them. Is that the way it has to be to work boro?? I'll do whatever it takes to be safe, but it's a little discouraging. :(

orodrago 2006-03-24 3:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle
Aura Table Shield, which can be used for both - flip up the boro shade for soft glass, and flip it down for boro.
Sarah :)

Hey Sarah - was this a pre-fab product? Would you mind sharing where you purchased it?
Thanks!
Lavender

elle 2006-03-24 7:03pm

Charlene, I was a little worried about that too before I bought it, but I got it anyway. I figured if I hated it, I could return it. I think it depends on how you have it positioned - it is very adjustable. (I wish I could find a picture of it on Aura's website, there used to be one...) I have it on the left side of my work area, (I'm right handed) and I rarely need to reach under it for anything... mainly because I don't keep anything important on that area of my table. I got used to it right away.

Lavender, I got it at Auralens (www.auralens.com). Mike Aurelius is the auralens guy, he posted earlier in this thread. I bought mine in 2003, it was called the Boro Shield then, and if it is still the same, you can use it for both soft and boro glass - flip the shade up for soft glass and flip it down when you're working with boro. I can't get a good shot of mine, so you might want to ask Mike A to send you a pic.

Sarah

Kalera 2006-03-24 10:49pm

AUUGGH! I always find out about things like new lines and price reductions RIGHT after I place an order! Which I just did tonight. :( Oh well, I think I will still be happy with the 3/5 split... I just hope I wasn't too early to receive the new lower pricing!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Ummm - Kim? Didymium is NOT safe for boro!!! Yes, I know a number of people use them, but it IS NOT SAFE for your eyes!!! Same with ACE/AUR-92/PHILLIPS-202. Neither of these filters have IR filters, and IR is the chief source of damage to the eye when working borosilicate glass.

I've posted elsewhere about the Phillips Boroscopes unsuitability for working boro, so I don't see the need to go into it here.

We do have several new filters coming out very soon (as soon as I can get my sorry ass in gear and get the website updated!) --

AGW-186 is being replaced by the AGW-300 filter, a one piece, non-laminated filter (which means thinner and lighter in weight).

The AGW-200 is being discontinued completely.

The AGW-250 is a new filter, to complement the AGW-203. The AGW-203 is available only in a shade 3.5, but the new AGW-250, full coverage as well will be available in all our standard shades: 4, 5, 6, 8, 10 etc.

The AGW-286 is being modified to have spit shades only (for example 3/5). The reason for this is the new AGW-300 filter. There will no longer be any reason to have the clear IR filter on the upper portion of the lens, since the new AGW-300 filter glass has an IR filter built in to the glass.

AGW-325 is the "new" filter and will have a single filter wafer of a standard 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 etc welding filter, plus the upper "clear" section.

You can order any of these filters now, the glass is available, however, they are available only in non-prescription lenses (plano power). The prescription lenses will be available in about 2-3 months.

I should also mention that with the new filter line up, prices are falling! We've cut the price on the AGW-286 by about 25% (mainly because we don't have that expensive "clear" IR filter to deal with!).

Call Holly 800-281-2872 ext 16 for more information.

orodrago 2006-03-25 4:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by elle
Lavender, I got it at Auralens (www.auralens.com). Mike Aurelius is the auralens guy, he posted earlier in this thread. I bought mine in 2003, it was called the Boro Shield then, and if it is still the same, you can use it for both soft and boro glass - flip the shade up for soft glass and flip it down when you're working with boro. I can't get a good shot of mine, so you might want to ask Mike A to send you a pic.
Sarah

Sarah - Many Thanks - I think this sort of set up is essential for me, and wasnt sure how to source bits to make my own - if I dont have to make my own - thatd be mighty fine with me! [-o< Cheers!
Lavender

valerie_folly 2006-03-28 6:33pm

So ARE Phillips Boroscapes the same as the 202's? Are they OK for boro. They seemed really dark after using Didy's but now I'm used to them.

Tanya 2006-03-29 4:39am

Valerie - I don't know anyting about them. You'd think with a name like boroscopes (as opposed to something like "sodalimescopes") they should be safe. However, according to Mike's post above, they aren't. You should check out his site www.auralens.com. In addition to a large selection of eye protection, there's a lot of information on the different types of protection and what they protect against (UV, IR and sodium flare.) I just got a pair of clip on AGW 203s.

Curly Irish Girl 2006-04-02 10:40am

I've got AUR92 that are clip on for my regular glasses....and I got a pair of welders clip ons from Mike....the only problem is it's so dark, it's difficult to see what I'm doing....and while it works, I wouldn't recommend a clip on over a clip on - no ability to flip them up. Guess I need to sell some glass and get some lenses that are safe for eyes when using soft glass or boro...hopefully less dark. Mike - is there such a critter????

KT-OldSchoolGlass 2006-04-03 6:52am

Kim, I have heard the same things you have from the scientific guys about Didymium and ACE for working boro.

Phillips202/AUR92 (both are ACE glass) are not adequate for the amount of IR emitted when working any kind of borosilicate glass. These are a soft glass only filter.

Phillips Boroscopes do offer slightly better IR protection but not enough (IMHO) for working boro. This is the reason that Generations Glass discontinued this line of eyeware. The new Phillips ACE/Boroscopes Split would be in the same catagory as the regular Boroscopes. The top is standard ACE and the bottom is Standard Boroscopes. That being said, we will not offer these for borosilicate work.

Generations Glass will soon be carrying Aura Lens AGW-203 and AGW-286 glasses. We feel that these are the best glasses you can get for working borosilicate clear and color glass, and for fuming.

PyroAaron 2006-04-06 7:47pm

I have the AWG 286 split lens. I love them. I got them in the sports goggles so I could put cool flame decals down the side :razz:!

bclogan 2007-11-13 9:36am

Right now I'm using the flip-down welders' clip-ons over my didys. But I hope to have "real glasses" sometime after the first of the year. So I'm interested in what people like and trying to figure out what's best for me also.

ellejule 2007-11-15 11:19pm

May I throw a question in here? I just bought the philips flip up 5.0 safety glasses, they were sold to me as boro lenses, are they?

NightCat 2007-11-16 12:08pm

I use the AGW-203's for nearly everything. They are a little dark for 104 beadmaking but I have sensitive eyes so they are actually very nice. I also have a shade 3 face shield that I use when I am working big, bright and hot on the Mirrage. I don't like all that IR on my face anyway so I would rather have the shield on than darker glasses and not shield.

I also have a pair of AUR-92's that I use when I am teaching beadmaking. They are too light for "me" to use hour after hour in my own studio. I know there is not harmful rays hitting my eyes it is just a bit bright for me.

So Mike, is there any chance of a 92 lens with a light (maybe I should say slight) shading? Like a 1 or 1.5?? I could really use a pair of those.

~Ross

NightCat 2007-11-16 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellejule (Post 1486103)
May I throw a question in here? I just bought the philips flip up 5.0 safety glasses, they were sold to me as boro lenses, are they?

I think the idea is that you put those over your regular beadmaking glasses. THe 5.0 will reduce the amount of overall light energy to a safe level (atleast that is my understanding) but it will not cut through the sodium flare.

I am no expert!
~R

ellejule 2007-11-16 3:59pm

Okay, good to know, rats, I wouldn't have bought them if I had known that! So The best option for my money would be......?
I am short on funds as I am in the middle of upgrading my torch, buying a ventilation system etc. Thanks:)

Paul Ewing 2007-11-16 4:55pm

If you already have a pair of AU-92 or Didymium glasses, then you can get a $20 pair of clip on welder shades. You can also get welding goggles to wear over your glasses like these http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/alls...g-goggles.html The rectanglular ones fit over your other glasses easily.

ellejule 2007-11-16 7:07pm

Thanks for that link, and they aren't expensive at all!! Perfect:)