Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Baleen technique... (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109953)

J&M 2008-10-31 11:18am

Baleen technique...

Am I correct in assuming that the baleen technique is a secret and can only be learned by taking a class or trying to figure it out on you own? Just wondering.

Thanks, Jack

Mr. Smiley 2008-10-31 11:34am

It's Micheal Barley's technique and I think learning it from him would be the most respectful way... unless of course he says otherwise. ;)

J&M 2008-10-31 11:39am

Thanks Brent, that's what I thought... just wanted to make sure.

Tutti-frutti 2008-10-31 12:15pm

In August at the Frantz bash ,Michael demo'id. I also had a class with him, but for the life of me I cant remember how it was done.
I am sure yoy could ask Michael, he is very nice and helpful.
Katja

AKDesigns 2008-10-31 12:36pm

Ya know what? I was thinking of emailing Michael and asking him if he has given any thought to doing a tutorial for purchase on that technique. I would so buy that!

AKDesigns 2008-10-31 12:38pm

Especially since every time I've tried to get into his class it's full. The man is popular!

squid 2008-10-31 12:46pm

I would buy that tutorial

Lisa 2008-10-31 1:03pm

See post #38

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...=baleen&page=2

barbaracollins 2008-10-31 1:15pm

Me too, and I already took his class.

squid 2008-10-31 1:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa (Post 2167652)

That is pretty much how I figured to do it and be close.

lenora 2008-10-31 2:05pm

I would buy his tutorial!

J&M 2008-10-31 2:11pm

All this input is great! Thanks a lot!

Jack

AKDesigns 2008-10-31 2:32pm

Well I just emailed him so let's all cross our fingers...

MaryBeth 2008-10-31 3:40pm

The reply in that thread is close but not totally the way Michael does it. I must say his class was one of the best classes I have ever taken. Well worth every penny!

squid 2008-10-31 3:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryBeth (Post 2167947)
The reply in that thread is close but not totally the way Michael does it. I must say his class was one of the best classes I have ever taken. Well worth every penny!

hey! No teasing! :)

beadgal 2008-10-31 7:13pm

My sister and I just took a class with Michael, and I have to say he shared every technique with every bead. He is a patient and thorough teacher. We were all working so hard at doing it right, none of us were talking!!!
I would recommend his class to anyone.

rosebud101 2008-10-31 7:16pm

I took the same class with beadgal, and it was great! Michael is a fabulous teacher, and I think we all learned a lot!

elizarowe 2008-11-01 7:05am

Baleen Technique

Would I ever buy that tutorial!! I just love love love beads made with it so please Michael Barley, do a paid tutorial for us. In South Africa we are really very disadvantaged in not being able to take classes from the masters. I have purchased a few online tutorials and they are all fantastic! The online tutorials are especially fantastic for us because there is not expensive shipping cost and you have your tut at the click of a button so no three week waiting period for the post to arrive.

AKDesigns 2008-11-01 10:00am

I got a response back. I really want to take a class from him, he seems like such a great, nice guy in emails. Anyway, he said it was a possibility for the future but he makes no promises.

PaulaD 2008-11-01 2:33pm

Too Bad. I'd buy it too!!

Paula

J&M 2008-11-01 2:45pm

Strange, I emailed him and never got a response.

Jack

AKDesigns 2008-11-01 2:58pm

Maybe it got lost in his spam folder or maybe he just hasn't gotten to it yet. I imagine he gets a lot of emails. I know that sometimes I get an email from a customer with a question and I'll read it and want to think about how to answer.....then I forget to ever answer it for a couple of days until I'm cleaning up the email box.

J&M 2008-11-01 3:12pm

You're probably right. We'll see.

Jack

AKDesigns 2008-11-01 3:54pm

Oh...and don't forget to check your spam box too!

J&M 2008-11-02 10:33pm

I got my email back from Michael. What a very nice gentleman.

Jack

AKDesigns 2008-11-02 10:43pm

He is, isn't he? I had emailed him once before to yell at him. He actually stated in an eBay auction that his beads were not "art". I felt the need to give him a what for. That bead was indeed ART. He was very nice and funny with his reply.

Miriam 2008-11-02 11:40pm

I have tried to contact Michael a few times, but not luck jet. Maybe my mail gets in the spamfilter to.

PixieFireBeads 2008-11-03 8:07am

I don't tell anyone how to do anything anymore. You'll get flamed even if the person who taught you the class gave you the go ahead to do whatever you wanted with the technique and gave specific permission to share - and yes, there are teachers out there who do that. Hell, you'll get flamed for giving too specific information on a real basic technique. So what's the next best thing? The artist himself.

Michael Barley is featured in the Bead & Button interview here: http://www.beadandbutton.com/BNB/Obj...bpdf070492.pdf

Read and you will be rewarded with a clue. And if you ever get the opportunity, take a class with him, he is one of the two best, most encouraging and generous lampwork teachers I've had the pleasure to study under.

pam 2008-11-03 8:54am

Annie, I'm sorry, but in my opinion your interpretation of what has been discussed in numerous threads recently is not what I understood. I don't recall that anyone has said if you have explicit permisstion from an instructor that you can share the techniques they taught you that you shouldn't do that.

I think common courtesy would be if you haven't received that permission and if you haven't made the specific technique your own, and if the instructor is still teaching that technique as part of their classes that you refrain from sharing with others what people are learning in the class.

And just as an adjunct to this, that specific technique - perhaps not performed in the same exact manner (because I have no idea how Michael does his baleen technique) - has been around for many years. It's a fairly common technique and can be used to get different effects depending on how you use it. Michael does a really fantastic job of using it in his beads.

PixieFireBeads 2008-11-03 9:00am

Pam, all the contention on other parts of the board started out of a technique thread where photos were at issue. However, someone else in that same thread specifically went on about how they didn't like anyone giving any specific information on even the most basic technique. My comments in that specific technique thread also had to do with the issue of what we should share and what we shouldn't. And by the way, last year, after taking a class from Tink I got an ugly pm telling me I should not have shared how she does handles when she specifically stated we could share anything. But then again, people who weren't in the class know everything that was said.

I didn't misinterpret anything, I made my comments based on my experience.