Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ask me anything! (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186181)

turtleshelle 2011-02-18 9:42am

That is so totally cool!!

MrsD 2011-02-18 6:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kalera (Post 3410303)
My guess on the frit is that it's not getting burnt (some frits will soot up very easily in an even slightly reducing flame, but I don't think this is your problem) but that it's reacting. Many frits contain lead, copper, or silver, all of which will react by creating a muddy or dark line where it touches any glass containing sulphur, such as yellow, amber, or ivory. Try the same frit on a white or light blue base and see if you have the same problem; if you do, it's likely that your flame is on the reducing side and you need to turn down your propane or add more oxygen.

As far as I can tell, most jewelry designers prefer a smaller hole in the smaller beads they buy. Many, however, prefer a larger hole in focal beads, so they can string them on thicker/multi-stranded material.

Thank you - I will try it & see!

hotglass 2011-02-18 10:22pm

Aloha Kalera!

Would you mind sharing your source for the 5/64 mandrels? Mahalo!

- Alpha

cherylkroe 2011-02-19 9:41am

Kalera,
I am in Portland from KY for the weekend. If I was to visit BE, and don't own any 90 coe, what would be the color you would buy first? Would it be frit or rod?

Kalera 2011-02-19 11:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotglass (Post 3411218)
Aloha Kalera!

Would you mind sharing your source for the 5/64 mandrels? Mahalo!

- Alpha

I get them from Sundance: http://www.sundanceartglass.com/serv...dmaking/Detail

Kalera 2011-02-19 11:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylkroe (Post 3411486)
Kalera,
I am in Portland from KY for the weekend. If I was to visit BE, and don't own any 90 coe, what would be the color you would buy first? Would it be frit or rod?

I use French Vanilla as a base for almost all my BE beads, so I'd get that, white, 1101 clear, silver foil, and an assortment of medium-saturation transparent colors in both rod and frit. Since the frit can ONLY be used on a 90 COE base, you will want the white, clear, and French Vanilla in rods.

That's what I'd get for my style of beads; there are tons of other options, depending on what you like to make.

hotglass 2011-02-19 4:11pm

Kalera,

Mahalo! You inspire me to keep trying and to find my "voice"- Alpha

cherylkroe 2011-02-19 5:03pm

Thanks so much, we went and for now I got french vanilla and clear. I do have some 96 frit already so I will play with that. Thanks so much for being so generous with your information.

Pia Kaven 2011-02-19 5:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherylkroe (Post 3411925)
Thanks so much, we went and for now I got french vanilla and clear. I do have some 96 frit already so I will play with that. Thanks so much for being so generous with your information.

FYI Bullseye is COE 90, so 96 frit does not work with it!

jhana 2011-02-19 6:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by piakaven (Post 3411928)
FYI Bullseye is COE 90, so 96 frit does not work with it!

Wouldn't it work at the 5% level like it does with 104?;)

Lorraine Chandler 2011-02-19 6:29pm

It figures!! I am looking for Dawn Canyon, wanted to buy it this payday and SOMEONE scarfed it up!

Okay, who did it? Who bought it before I could? Huh? Huh?...:poke:
](*,)](*,)

Elizabeth Beads 2011-02-19 6:38pm

You can use 96 frit with Bullseye. I go by the OCR rule of up to 20%.

Pia Kaven 2011-02-19 7:01pm

I for some reason thought that BE is really finiky about other COE's, I guess it is worth the try... But yes, that 5-20% rule makes sense... I am just too skeered to try.

Kalera 2011-02-20 3:26pm

BE is definitely more finicky than 104, but many of the furnace glasses are actually COE 93-95, and I have used quite a few very successfully with BE. I do have to keep track of which I use, though! Not all of them like BE, and some don't like it AT ALL.

2tumblingdragonz 2011-02-20 3:42pm

What is a furnace glass? Is it fusing and slumping glass? Is BE considered furnace glass?

Namaste
Rowyn

Kalera 2011-02-20 4:12pm

"Furnace glass" is the (usually) deeply saturated glass most of the "96 COE" frit is made from. It's often called that as a sort of shorthand, because it was originally developed for larger-scale glassblowers who use furnaces rather than torches. Any glass can be used in glassblowing, but roughly 92-96 COE is most popular. Kugler, Reichenbach, Zimmerman, and Gaffer are all "furnace glass".

mdimatteo 2011-02-20 8:48pm

This thread just keeps on giving....a treasure trove of info. Thanks Kalera

granny 2011-02-22 12:47pm

Kalera, you are a true inspiration!
Thank you so much for sharing!!
Although I don't have any Bullseye, I am going to try similar colors in 104

granny

Kalera 2011-02-24 11:24am

Someone PM'd me about how I work R-108, and I thought I'd answer here in case anyone else was wondering; I don't reduce it, I just work it in a hot neutral flame. For the most part, anything I reduce will have a shiny metallic finish.

beetslive 2011-03-02 11:48am

Frit beads

This thread inspired me to pick up my frits again! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kalera 2011-03-02 12:47pm

Those are GORGEOUS! Thanks for posting them!

cswilson53 2011-03-04 6:25pm

Beautiful beads - it inspires me to do something with all the frit I have!!

JanithS 2011-03-04 9:47pm

Hi Kalera,

Thank you for this thread. I can see that you answer every question which must be very time consuming.

I do have two questions that I'm hoping you can solve the mystery for me.

1) I'm seeing alot of frit beads that have square or geometrical patterns to the frit. Most of the beads that I make have more of a dot appearance, instead of getting a geometric pattern. I tried putting some clear frit over top first frit and it did give it a little geometric pattern, but not to the extent that I want. I would love to know how the heck you do it.

2) How on earth do you get your frit to go right to the bead hole. This is the reason why I do more gravity swirled or raked beads because I can't stand the base color showing through the ends. It kind of reminds me of the old white walled tires - in reverse

Thanks again for sharing your recipes with us and I hope we all do you proud...

p.s., I ordered your romance frit from That Frit Girl,and I can't wait until it comes here.

Kalera 2011-03-04 10:15pm

Thank you!

Janith, the more geometrical look I believe you are speaking of is due to frit spreading out over the base when it's heated, and kind of "pushing" against the neighboring bit of frit. That's partly the type of frit (I love frit that spreads a lot!), partly the base glass, and partly the amount of heat applied to the bead after it's rolled in frit.

To get really good coverage on my bead, what I do is put the frit in a measuring teaspoon, in a little shallow stainless steel dish to catch the overflow. I heat the bead to glowing, then lift the teaspoon up under the flame and roll the bead in it. Some frit overflows into the little dish. I replenish the fit in the teaspoon every third bead or so to ensure I have a heaping spoon, for best coverage. I got a bunch of measuring spoons at the dollar store and I find they are perfect for this!

PaulaD 2011-03-07 8:56pm

Kalera Thanks for sharing!
I would love to see a Geode Tutorial!!
Paula

Kalera 2011-03-08 12:58am

I will do one! Thanks Paula! I always wanted to make geodes, as I have been fascinated with crystal-centered stones since childhood.

PaulaD 2011-03-08 4:50pm

The ones I have seen from you are awesome!!

mdimatteo 2011-03-08 6:06pm

Kalera,
You mentioned using different viscosity of glasses to achieve a sparkle. Does each color of glass have a different viscosity? How do you find the viscosity of glass?
Thank you for all the help you've given in this thread.

Mary Di

Kalera 2011-03-09 9:31am

I'm not really sure how you find the viscosity of a given glass. Viscosity is a factor in compatibility; sometimes glass that is the same COE can be incompatible because the viscosities are too different. Most of the time it's fine though, and yes, even within a line colors may have slightly different viscosities.

That, brief though it may be, pretty much sums up the depth of my knowledge on it. :) Maybe a real expert will chime in?

Pia Kaven 2011-03-09 2:29pm

I think it is just a matter of trying things out, like clear glass is often stiffer than white or ivory... that kind of things. I dont think there is really any data available for the different colors or glasses, it is just a matter of experience, that will grow each time you try a new glass. Good way to keep a track of things yourself is to make notes when you torch... something I should do much more. :roll: