Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Silent Showcase Gallery Show and Tell Poll (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166638)

Carolyn M 2010-06-24 6:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fcfmountain (Post 3089215)
A forum is a free exchange of ideas. Exchange if you want to. Comment if you want to. Share an idea if you want to. Post a picture if you want to.
Do you really need to control things to achieve the purpose of 'maybe, perhaps, possibly' keeping someone from having their feelings hurt? You can't or shouldn't try to control all the world, unless you are also willing to stifle what a forum is and toss freedom out of the window in the process. If you don't like the above comment then you can fire back at me if you choose, that's "A Forum". Besides, I put my 'big boy underwear on every morning' and I'm willing to live in the real world. TIM

I agree with this. Frankly I like the regular S&T better, I like when people share, I like when people comment on my beads, and don't get all bent out of shape when they don't. It's kind of a regular occurrence to have people complaining that only the 'clique' (which has changed many times over the years BTW) gets nice comments on their beads. IMHO, the best beads get the most admiration, I don't look to see who made the bead before I post kudos. I'm very tempted sometimes to make a wahwahbabypants comment when I see the same complaint pop up again

OMG, I'm starting to channel Andy Rooney..............

LoriB 2010-06-24 7:29am

I love the idea of a Silent ST where the poster can still say something about their bead so we can enjoy the inspiration from them! I rarely post in the regular ST because I always feel such pressure to comment on every single bead so no one feels left out. I also hate all the repeat quotes and pics—so much to wade through some days. I would definitely post more often in this format and like the idea of sending PMs to people too. *ü*

beadaddicts 2010-06-24 7:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicker (Post 3089446)
I like the silent but it never seems to stay around. I find it's too hard to feel the pressure of commenting on each and every post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoriB (Post 3091313)
I love the idea of a Silent ST where the poster can still say something about their bead so we can enjoy the inspiration from them! I rarely post in the regular ST because I always feel such pressure to comment on every single bead so no one feels left out. I also hate all the repeat quotes and pics—so much to wade through some days. I would definitely post more often in this format and like the idea of sending PMs to people too. *ü*

These exactly sum up how I feel. I rarely posted in the regular S&T, not because I really cared whether or not MY beads were commented on, but because I felt very insincere when trying to find an individual comment to make on all the beads posted before me! I too got tired of seeing the same beads quoted over and over, and love the true "gallery" feel to the silent showcase.

I love the option of having both....and for those of us who like the silent ones, I think its up to us to keep starting them, but I don't really see a need to set a timeframe for it. I started today's....Thursday...around 9:30 a.m., which makes much more sense to me than starting Friday's at 2:00 this afternoon! :lol:

cadia 2010-06-24 7:54am

Love SS!!!!

2kids&atorch 2010-06-24 11:13am

Okay, so call me stupid (or talentless). I always assumed that nobody comments on my pictures in the original gallery because nobody really knows me here. And NOW come to learn, it's because they actually DON'T LIKE MY WORK!!!!
He hee hee.

Kalera 2010-06-25 11:38am

I really like the silent showcase... and I think it should start anytime after midnight for the person who's starting it, since many of us are not on the American continents at all.

Astrid Riedel 2010-06-26 11:02am

My 2 cents worth...Suggestion, I think if you want to look at beads in a gallery type setting, why not post the beads on Beadartists.org? I feel a forum is for sharing and I love the feedback other than just from my family;) I aggree with TIM.
I think all the double posting on one forum just gets too much, even other newer and older forums don't last as we all gravitate to the one forum which is most visited.
Pm's takes more time and it also means you need to answer each person individually!
At the end of the day if no one pm's you on your bead you will also be hurt not so?

Regards Astrid

Sheila D. 2010-06-26 5:20pm

Nope,no one has to PM me with kudos or raspberries.I just like the silent s&t cause it's easier!

Kalera 2010-06-26 7:34pm

I sometimes post in both, but not the same beads.

I like looking at the silent showcase because it's not loaded with comments, quoted pics, or pressure.

I am always happy to answer questions but don't expect or need anyone to PM me compliments.

To each her own.

Juls 2010-06-26 7:49pm

I like that the silent showcase feels more like an actual showcase~ streamlined art without the clutter of words.

Kevan 2010-06-26 8:23pm

Love the SS, but it doesn't matter what the poll here shows, someone is not going to have read this thread and is going to start it at some time someone has a problem with.

Kalera 2010-06-26 9:20pm

Someone's ALWAYS got a problem, with SOMETHING. They can suck it!

Astrid Riedel 2010-06-27 4:36am

You know thinking a bit more about it, I think you should not have to get an opnion on whether you should have a SS or not, do it and those that prefer it will post, those that don't won't, you will never please everybody, so if there is an interest you will soon know.

I think though that getting an agreement on the time to start will never stick as not everybody will read this thread, I also don't think if you post in both threads that you want to come back at a later stage to post again, do it when it is convenient to you.
You know it might even be possible if there is not so much clutter that you keep the SS open for a week, than you can peruse the whole show of the week?

Astrid

2kids&atorch 2010-06-28 10:24am

I agree with Astrid. And I do like the silent idea...it's nice to scroll through a thread and see a bunch of different pictures, instead of a few photos and a bunch of text and a few re-postings etc. Sometimes I like to share threads with my coworker (who is not a lampworker but has great appreciation for the artwork we do!). When we are looking for something and we have to scroll through a bunch of text and quoted posts, etc., etc., she gets dizzy and gives up! It would be nice to see a long stream of bead photos one after the other without any text in between.