Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Trick to have release in the middle of mandrel without coating all the way to the end (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300324)

pswrd 2017-06-19 11:22am

Trick to have release in the middle of mandrel without coating all the way to the end

Is there a trick to just have bead release coating the middle of a mandrel without having to dip most of the mandrel and then wiping off the end? So far, I have not come up with a clever mess free way...

Speedslug 2017-06-19 11:38am

I have heard some say the trick is to use a wide spatula with bead release dipped in an open mouth container.

Getting a smooth, even layer would be hard for me free handed so I would likely brace one end of the mandrel on something and probably my spatula hand as well.

Others just go for the long, tall bottle and wipe the end off with their fingers.

It's not all that messy, especially if you have a second open mouth container to wipe the excess off your fingers on the edge.

I would find cleaning the excess off the spatula more troublesome than my fingers.

Good luck and let us know what works for you.

I have just learned to switch hands with the one clean end but I also have an electric mandrel spinner and so my hands don't tire of doing the same motion for twenty minutes while pretend to be an artist with molten glass.

Pat 2017-06-19 12:31pm

Just use a jar lid like mayo, cleaned. pour in the release and it's easy to do the mandrel in the center.

Tillie 2017-06-19 2:43pm

I use a large plastic lid and clip a notch out of each side directly across from each other, pour a small amount (up to the bottom of the notch) of release onto the lid and put your mandrel into the notches and roll it in the release. No messy hands and you can pour the remainder back into the bottle by cupping the plastic a little.

DarleenMB 2017-06-19 4:37pm

Huh. I'da just dipped it as far as I could then used my fingers to wipe off the excess on the opposite end. But I'm lazy that way. :)

FosterFire 2017-06-19 4:49pm

I deep dip all my mandrels with the release. I have some nerve damage in my hands and I can feel the bead release coated end better than the non-coated end. On hand problem days this means I rarely ever drop the mandrel.

Jeri 2017-06-20 7:07pm

Use a foil loaf pan. In the center of each side cut a slot almost the depth of the pan. Put release in pan to bottom edge of slots. Mandrel goes in to slots with pan in center of mandrel. Roll the mandrel in the release and refill frequently.

Bentley 2017-06-21 12:56pm

I put the mandrel horizontally across the bead release jar opening and use a tablespoon to drip in onto the middle of the mandrel while rotating the mandrel. The run off falls back into the jar. Easy.

beadforever 2017-07-11 9:25am

I have always used middle dipped mandrels since lamping 95% of the time; as I do a lot of sculpture working beads. I use a tall jar balsamic vinegar bottle on my second; first one broke. I dip my mandrel in about 3/4ths take it out and dip in glass of water and stir to remove extra bead release on the lower part of mandrel which leaves the middle still with bead release. Than I place in can of sand to dry. Once I am done dipping and stirring I save the water with the small amount bead release pour it in a jar with lid.

Next time I dip I pour the water into my glass but save the watered down bead release at the bottom of jar to add to my vinegar jar or main bottle of bead release; I do not let much if any of the watered down saved bead release get poured into my glass I will be stirring away the newly dipped mandrels..... this way I do not lose much bead release ever ( only when I drop the blasted bottle and it breaks) LOL

ewagnerfrog 2017-07-11 3:05pm

I have worked the middle of the mandrel for 15 years and I simply take a spoon, get it as full of bead release as you can...rest it on the open top of the bead release container and then roll the mandrel in the release. I can usually do about 8 or 10 mandrels before I scoop up more bead release. Sometimes I get a little bump or blob and this goes away when I lightly tap the mandrel against my hand. All very easy. Ernie Wagner

SGA 2017-07-11 5:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeri (Post 4938418)
Use a foil loaf pan. In the center of each side cut a slot almost the depth of the pan. Put release in pan to bottom edge of slots. Mandrel goes in to slots with pan in center of mandrel. Roll the mandrel in the release and refill frequently.

This.

one hot beader 2017-07-11 9:20pm

Use a second jar with just water in it.
Dip mandrel to centre
Dip in water to remove the excess on the end

Release can be reclaimed for re-use when left to settle and excess water carefully tipped off.