Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Controlled Devitrification Experiment (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223503)

J. Savina 2012-05-03 8:03am

Controlled Devitrification Experiment

1 Attachment(s)
Well, you've heard of petrified wood, right? Here are some "devitrified" flowers.

I was very disappointed with this new glass that I purchased. I thought it would be just a really nice dark pink, but turned out to be very similar to EDP. (Effetre Purple) Making murrini flowers the way I do was so frustrating because the scummy bubbles were always there even when I encased them. So I decided not to encase them and just let them sit on top of the bead. This is what happened when I cooled the bead and then re-introduced it to the upper part of the flame. I got a pretty white devitrified halo that is the shape of the flower murrini. The beads in this picture are annealed. The halo stayed pretty prominent on the surface even after annealing. It looks like it's been etched. If you run your finger across the flower, it even feels like it has been etched. I'm kinda liking this effect. But I'm going to do some more experimenting.

Does anyone else have an example of controlled devitrification?

J.

clan tabby 2012-05-03 8:34am

Petrified wood - pink? I've never seen a pink petrified wood; mine has always been orangish/russet tones, & it has never devitrified. I know each batch of this glass was different, but I've never seen a pink batch. Curious. The glass you have certainly is a beautiful color, & the cool halo effect is wild! What a happy accident! Love those beads.

volkanokaren 2012-05-03 8:36am

That looks really cool.What a wonderful effect and shaped perfectly.

Karen
Volkano Exotik

ripzz

J. Savina 2012-05-03 9:05am

Thank you! I didn't mention the glass I used. It's Effetre hand pulled #253 which is called Rosa Variegato. You can also get this same effect with Effetre #257 Rosa SC (?), and Evil Purple too.

J.

clan tabby 2012-05-03 10:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Savina (Post 3986395)
Thank you! I didn't mention the glass I used. It's Effetre hand pulled #253 which is called Rosa Variegato. You can also get this same effect with Effetre #257 Rosa SC (?), and Evil Purple too.

J.

Oh, ok. I immediately thought of Vetrofond Petrified Wood. Hmmm, never heard of Rosa Variegato. Pretty stuff.

J. Savina 2012-05-03 10:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by clan tabby (Post 3986479)
Oh, ok. I immediately thought of Vetrofond Petrified Wood. Hmmm, never heard of Rosa Variegato. Pretty stuff.

Okay, now your original comment makes sense to me. You thought I was referring to the Vetrofond glass named "petrified wood". I wasn't. It was just a play on words. My bad :oops:

Rosa "Variagata" (I spelled it wrong before) is a color I got from Art Glass House, Inc. And yes, it is a beautiful pink.

J.

alb6094 2012-05-03 10:39am

Those are beautiful Jeanette, I love that effect. I did some controlled devit work ages ago but I can't find the files now. I should try it again.

Ravenesque 2012-05-03 5:37pm

beautiful effect!

Eileen 2012-05-03 5:54pm

I have that glass, and now I want to try to make it do that if I make dots or stringer decorations. Very interesting effect!

truegem 2012-05-07 5:05am

I like them and I would also like to see some from others.