Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Studio (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Finally - Fan and vent installed (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156130)

glasshobbit 2010-03-05 1:17pm

Finally - Fan and vent installed

Yeah! My hubby and I (mostly him) worked this past weekend on installing fan and vent. It took a warmer weekend to want to do it as he had to poke a hole thru the wall. Thank you to everyone for all the good advice and helpful instructions here on LE and elsewhere. Disregard the mess but I will try to put up a few pics.

Armstrong 2010-03-05 1:32pm

What size / brand fan is that? Is it 10"?

thanks-
Ana

glasshobbit 2010-03-05 3:58pm

8" Active Air Inline Duct Fan 720 Cfm. I will try to post the link here www.dchydro.comhttp://www.dchydro.com/product/81/8-...e-Fan-720-CFM/

Diane (clarus) 2010-03-05 5:19pm

Interesting - usually when a fan is called an "inline duct fan" it is a booster for a more powerful system and not suitable for our purposes, but that doesn't seem to be the case for this one. It looks very much like my 8" Vortex, but is half the price! Let us know how it works.

I like your hood.

-Diane

Lorraine Chandler 2010-03-05 10:48pm

I am so glad to see ventilation systems going in studios. Let us know how noisy it is, if it passes the smoke test and after using it awhile if it passes the lungs, eyes, nose etc. tests. :-D All of the info is so helpful to others.

Thank-you for sharing.
Lorraine

Dale M. 2010-03-06 9:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diane (clarus) (Post 2921796)
Interesting - usually when a fan is called an "inline duct fan" it is a booster for a more powerful system and not suitable for our purposes, but that doesn't seem to be the case for this one. It looks very much like my 8" Vortex, but is half the price! Let us know how it works.

I like your hood.

-Diane

Excuse me but "In Line Duct Fan" terminology does not automatically mean its a "In Line Duct Booster Fan".....

A "Inline Duct Fan" merely is stating that is has provisions (mounting rings) on each end of fan unit to connect in middle of duct run....

A "Duct Booster Fan" may also have same provisions but not the same ratings ...

The fan for hydroponics use (In Line Duct Fan) has a rating of 7xx CFM... That is the key here....

A Inline Duct Booster Fan generally has TWO ratings, one when used in duct as booster fan (7xx cfm for example), and another as a free air rating (like 350cfm) for example... Free air rating is one to consider if using a BOOSTER fan for ventilation system....

The key here is reading the fan specifications provided by manufacturer/seller....

http://www.dchydro.com/product/81/8-...e-Fan-720-CFM/

I see no indication in this ad that the above mentioned fans as show that it is a "in line duct BOOSTER fan"..... There for it is to be assumed (bad word here) to be a 7xx CFM "inline duct fan"....

Hope this post does not ruffle any feathers....

Dale

Seasoned Soul 2010-03-06 9:23pm

I appreciate your words of wisdom Dale. Thanks for clearing this up. I've ordered the same fan and I hope that it works well.

Thanks to all of you for helping us newbies... you keep us knowledgeable and above all else... S A F E!!!

:love:

Diane (clarus) 2010-03-07 1:46pm

No offense taken, Dale. I know there's a big difference between the two kinds of fans, but I hadn't recalled that particular brand of fan and know that some get the two kinds confused. I smiled when I saw that it was in fact the right kind. I agree with Lorraine, it's really nice to see people taking safety seriously and putting in good ventilation systems.

-Diane

glasslass2 2010-03-08 6:02am

Thank you Dale. I was really hoping you'd pop in and rate this. I've been reading and researching ventilation systems til I'm cross eyed. This helps a lot. Think I will go order one of these. Thanks for posting pics and the link glasshobbit.

DarkFlowerBead 2010-03-11 3:43am

Wow, I appreciate the link. Thank You! The price seems good too. I'm hoping <fingers crossed> that I can actually start on my vent system this April. So, is the general consensus that this fan IS the right one for lampworking? I love the hood! I will be purchasing and this is the most important safety feature as I may go long hours and don't want my air quality toxic! Thank you

glasshobbit 2010-03-11 7:23am

I'm glad this seems to have helped some. Now that I have used the fan with the torch etc. it works very well. Somewhat noisier under the hood than outside it but still quieter than when I was using a hot head torch. I think I am going to lower the hood down a bit since I don't have a box around the set up I think that will help the plume get directed up instead of perhaps being pushed around a bit. After i get makeup air ducted in instead of open window behind me that will also help with the air circulation. Yep, I'm happy with it. Happy Torching everyone.

glasslass2 2010-03-11 4:49pm

Glasshobbit. I haven't as of yet purchased this yet just because I still had a nagging question. I feel foolish asking, but since I'm doing this on my own I need to know. I thought in line duct fans installed inside the ductwork. But I see you have the duct work going into the fan. Or is that just the casing that surrounds the fan? Sorry, new to all this and really wanting to understand. Thanks for helping! Oh and the guys at Home Depot were really impressed with your "hood". Is it a grain container for livestock? Pretty clever!

naom-s 2010-03-11 4:55pm

Hi,
Can you explain please "the smoke test ?"
Thanks,
Naomi

NMLinda 2010-03-12 6:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by naom-s (Post 2930921)
Hi,
Can you explain please "the smoke test ?"
Thanks,
Naomi

To do a smoke test, have your torch and vent system going and light a smoky source next to your torch/flame. You should see the smoke get pulled into the exit of your hood in under 1-2 seconds. The idea is that if it takes much longer than that, you're at risk of breathing spent exhaust fumes and other lampworking by-products produced in and by the flame. It's an important test to make sure you're ventilation system is working as it should.

Linda

glasshobbit 2010-03-12 7:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by glasslass2 (Post 2930904)
Glasshobbit. I haven't as of yet purchased this yet just because I still had a nagging question. I feel foolish asking, but since I'm doing this on my own I need to know. I thought in line duct fans installed inside the ductwork. But I see you have the duct work going into the fan. Or is that just the casing that surrounds the fan? Sorry, new to all this and really wanting to understand. Thanks for helping! Oh and the guys at Home Depot were really impressed with your "hood". Is it a grain container for livestock? Pretty clever!

In line duct fan in this case means that the fan is in line with the duct work. Not inside line. The duct work attaches to the casing on both sides of the fan thus the fan is "in line". Does that make sense?

The hood idea came from some other posts of studios I've seen. This one is a tin type bucket I picked up at Fleet Farm type store. It is 22" diameter and I believe 11" high? Very light weight. Punched hole in the center and attached duct work to it. Not real heavy duty.

naom-s 2010-03-12 10:01am

Thank you Linda,
naomi

glasslass2 2010-03-12 5:24pm

Ahh, got it! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

SunDoorBeads 2010-03-24 6:17pm

Sounds cool I have been wanting to change my system slightly since I did the smoke test and it took 5 seconds to suck the smoke up- my thought was that I did infact install a booster fan instead of an actual inline fan- I will have the DH check- I torch in a garage with the door up all windows open and a couple of contractor floor fan going- this is in addition to the ventillation system so am I okay till I can get this one installed? Dale your advice and knowledge is some of the best out there- Thank you for posting or I would not have known!!!

DarkFlowerBead 2010-04-06 1:08pm

Ok I purchased this fan and I'm having it installed next week (YIPIEEEEE). Thank you so much for the info. Any tips on how high i should mount it. In other words, what is the optimum space from table top to vent hood? I'm very greatful for your help on this :)

sixbabygirls 2010-04-08 8:44am

new space

a couple of pics of my new vent set up using the info from http://www.andreaguarino.com/ventilation/
i am not sure if it would pass the smoke test but it sure pulls the flame away now and there is no odor from furnace glass anymore when using frit

Sheila D. 2010-04-13 11:19am

Is this system noisy?

sixbabygirls 2010-04-13 2:35pm

noisy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheila D. (Post 2981448)
Is this system noisy?

if you are referring to me yes it is like the bathroom fan ... you can get a muffler to make it quieter but i have 6 kids the noisy is minimal to me hahah:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin::badgrin: