Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Transparent Red (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173330)

lysa 2010-09-04 6:20am

Transparent Red

Who makes a good transparent red that is not striking?

Lisi 2010-09-04 6:37am

They are all striking colors as far as I know, but if I'm wrong, I sure would like to know!

The boro rubies are a dependable kiln striker, but it's best to batch anneal those so you get all of the same shades of red. The color can get too dark if annealed for too long.

Gillianbeads 2010-09-04 6:47am

Lauscha's transparent reds are TDF! I love them....

BeadBlossoms 2010-09-04 6:51am

CIM's Sangre is a beautiful red, and I find it easy to work with -

chrisdd 2010-09-04 6:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeadBlossoms (Post 3190090)
CIM's Sangre is a beautiful red, and I find it easy to work with -

I second that. It is just gorgeous.

lysa 2010-09-04 7:25am

Thanks!

glassactcc 2010-09-04 7:31am

Isn't Sangre kind of semi-transparent. It has a totally different look then the trans reds do. I was just wondering if it was my batch that looks like that.

mewkittie 2010-09-04 8:28am

I'm voting for any Lauscha transparent reds. They are striking but they are so easy to strike and they are gorgeous!! They aren't really transparent as they can't be seen through all the way but they aren't totally opaque. If I can strike them anyone can. I'm challenged at striking and reducing.....

Lea Zinke 2010-09-04 8:47am

Mewkittie, that's translucent (halfway between opaque and transparent)...:-) And the Lauscha translucent red is just delish, like cherry lifesavers yummy!

Lisi 2010-09-04 8:39pm

On the transparent reds - if you are making just one bead it's fairly easy enough to strike, but if you have to make a matching set of beads, it's very difficult to get them all the same shade of red. Some will be lighter (orangey) some will be too dark, and some will have swirls of opaque in them. I despise all the reds for making sets, but maybe it's just user error on my part, and maybe not.

In other words, in my line of work I can make the same bead over and over again and make them identical, and this is what people know me for. But making a set of just simple rounds with transparent red?? Heck no! :lol:

loribeads 2010-09-04 9:10pm

I LOVE the transparent/translucent Lauscha reds. I recently tried CIM Sangre and it's very pretty, too.
These are Sangre:

PerfectDeb 2010-09-04 11:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisi (Post 3190920)
On the transparent reds - if you are making just one bead it's fairly easy enough to strike, but if you have to make a matching set of beads, it's very difficult to get them all the same shade of red. Some will be lighter (orangey) some will be too dark, and some will have swirls of opaque in them. I despise all the reds for making sets, but maybe it's just user error on my part, and maybe not.

In other words, in my line of work I can make the same bead over and over again and make them identical, and this is what people know me for. But making a set of just simple rounds with transparent red?? Heck no! :lol:

so what you're saying is that you suck at making reds strike consistantly and need to cheat ;)

you know i'm just stirring you, huh? :hide:

PaulaD 2010-09-05 12:18am

I have a new Lauscha transparent red that stays transparent and doesn't go opalescent. It's not on the website yet though. (Sorry I have been busy with something else!)
Paula

elleriedesigns 2010-09-06 4:56am

I struggle to find the "perfect" red. Sangre often comes out darker than I want.But while we're at it, the brand new Kalypso DH looks yummy!! And I just promised my husband I'd use the glass/beads, etc. that I have for awhile and not "need" more.
What I really want to know is HOW Lisi gets such consistently sized/shaped beads!!

naom-s 2010-09-06 1:01pm

Love the CZ Ornela red!.
Naomi
ETSY:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/NAOMISH?sec...ws_desc&page=1

loribeads 2010-09-06 9:09pm

Naomi, I want to live in your Etsy shop. It's fabulous!

wimsey 2010-09-06 10:25pm

I love the Lauscha, too. I have some Sangre, but haven't tried it yet. After seeing that pic, Lori, I think I have to get busy.
Beth

naom-s 2010-09-07 5:24am

Thank you Lori.
You're always welcome!!!
Naomi

Beadanna 2010-09-07 5:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by loribeads (Post 3192986)
Naomi, I want to live in your Etsy shop. It's fabulous!

And aren't the little creatures' expressions just the CuTeSt!
You are a genius Naomi.