Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Is this the place for me? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261471)

Nighthawk 2014-03-03 3:16pm

Hi from the old one

I thought i posted last night but maybe i did not do it right? I have been doing spun glass for 30 years and they called us glass benders back then. The question I had was, is that what is being called Lamp working now? I do glass as a hobby and now ready to start doing more of it again but i don't see two much of what i do out there. Anyone remember a Glass Bender?

Nighthawk 2014-03-03 3:33pm

Is this the place for me?

Hi, i started doing glass 30 years ago for a living working for K & M in Michigan. Now its just a hobby. Back then we were called Glass Benders, doing spun and soild work. Is that what you call Lamp Working today? I thought I posted this but i dont see the post so if im doing something wrong forgive me and please let me know :grin:

Sue in Maine 2014-03-03 3:56pm

Hi Nighthawk,

Welcome aboard.

My guess is you were working with boro when you were doing your spun glass. I'm thinking (but not sure) that you're talking about the beautiful glass shapes that were made from thin boro rods such as pianos, swans and lots of figurines. I think that type of work is beautiful.

Lampworking is a term for glassworkers who melt glass in a torch and make beads, small sculptures, marbles and such. Heck, I'm probably preaching to the choir and you know more about glass than I do!

At any rate, enjoy LE and welcome aboard.

Sue

betsymn 2014-03-03 4:01pm

I remember those pieces! When I was a kid, I had a set of deer.

KayTStudio 2014-03-03 4:02pm

I thought I read your posts too!
I wonder what happened.

nevadaglass 2014-03-03 4:02pm

Glass benders - I grew up watching glass benders at Disneyland and other such places, who built 22 inch tall Cinderella castles and 2 foot scale models of schooners out of clear glass or music boxes and carousels that everybody oogled over in fascination. I can remember watching artists build amazing sculptural items on the fly.....unicorns, horses dragons, castles, carousels, pianos etc. - mostly in clear, some with transparent accents.

Today - A lot more use of color - pieces tend to be more "organic" looking. Its harder to find glass pieces that look "knitted" (spun) today. Many haven't passed on the techniques or many haven't bothered to learn them. There is much more emphasis today on things like goblets, marbles, pipes, sculptural pieces, etc.

The tools are somewhat the same - The techniques have changed .... unfortunately spun glass is becoming a lost art.

Nighthawk 2014-03-03 4:08pm

Nighthawk 2014-03-03 4:16pm

5 Attachment(s)
ill try this :)

carolinainmymind 2014-03-03 4:46pm

Wow, those are beautiful! Welcome to the forum.

PaulaP 2014-03-03 9:56pm

Nighthawk welcome. I also remember as a child watching glass spun into beautiful pieces of art. I'm not sure what this day & time it is called but I do hope you share your pics with us here.

Nighthawk 2014-03-03 10:05pm

thanks

PaulaP 2014-03-03 10:07pm

Beautiful. I am in awe everytime I see a sculpted piece of glass made with this technique. I so wish there was someone close to east TX that taught this technique. I find it fasinating. You are very talented thank you for sharing your pics with us and hope you will keep the pics coming.

KJohn 2014-03-03 10:27pm

Is that a little bunny? So cute! The last piece took my breath away. Lovely work, thanks for sharing. Welcome to LE.

Check out the weekly chat thread if you like, it's called newbies and intermediates (or some weekly variation) and it's posted in the gallery.

Nighthawk 2014-03-04 1:16am

Yep its a rabbit, you cant see it but it has a pin on back to attach it to a coat ect. My wife wanted some for the Holidays. I make all kinds of animals and birds,motor cycles, fountains, the list goes on and on :) The only ones I found that do what I do seems to be crazy4glass and timma. I would love to find someone close by that wanted to learn some things because I think it is a lost art. I am getting ready to retire soon so I will be getting back into the craft a lot more. I love the pictures posted here thats why i made my first beads for the wife :) I get the most out of doing the wedding cake tops and such.

Sue in Maine 2014-03-04 5:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighthawk (Post 4545229)
Yep its a rabbit, you cant see it but it has a pin on back to attach it to a coat ect. My wife wanted some for the Holidays. I make all kinds of animals and birds,motor cycles, fountains, the list goes on and on :) The only ones I found that do what I do seems to be crazy4glass and timma. I would love to find someone close by that wanted to learn some things because I think it is a lost art. I am getting ready to retire soon so I will be getting back into the craft a lot more. I love the pictures posted here thats why i made my first beads for the wife :) I get the most out of doing the wedding cake tops and such.

Where do you live? I'm betting we have someone nearby! We're quite international and just about have the world covered with our peeps.

Sue- in Maine!

Cherri 2014-03-04 6:01am

Yes where are you located.

bob 2014-03-04 3:01pm

Love the your work.
Bob

Dott 2014-03-04 8:56pm

Back in the 70's I remember a guy set up in the shopping mall that would do sculpture like your ship image. He'd take requests and in 15 mins or so the requested piece was finished and cash would be exchanged. :) It really was amazing to watch!

houptdavid 2014-03-04 9:48pm

Welcome

LynieG 2014-03-04 10:52pm

Beautiful work! I have always been fascinated by spun glass sculptures! It's amazing to watch how the glass is manipulated to create these awesome pieces. Didn't know at the time that it was called spun glass but I do now LOL! I have always wanted to learn how to do this so if you are up for giving a class or 2 let us know. :D

lindag 2014-03-04 11:08pm

There's someone relatively close to me who does the same work, I see him occasionally at shows. He colors the glass after after the sculpture is made. The man who made the glass sculptures at Disneyland is Bill Rasmussen. I think he's a member here...maybe his daughter?

Yes, beautiful work and welcome.

Nighthawk 2014-03-05 12:57am

I live in the U.P. in Sault ste marie Michigan. I do make the unicorns, horses dragons, carousels, pianos etc. In fact that ship did only take 15 min to make lol

KayTStudio 2014-03-05 10:12am

If I lived closer I'd love to learn some of those techniques.

nevadaglass 2014-03-05 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighthawk (Post 4545942)
I live in the U.P. in Sault ste marie Michigan. I do make the unicorns, horses dragons, carousels, pianos etc. In fact that ship did only take 15 min to make lol

Been to Sault Ste Marie - seen the locks a cpl times LOL

Most of my distant relatives (aunts , uncles, cousins, etc.) all live in Gladwin and have an aunt that lives in Naubinway

uncle louie 2014-03-05 4:08pm

Welcome to the forum....

Hey welcome NightHawk,
I guess now I know the real name for this artform.
I've only been doing it for 2 years now and all self taught (some credit to you-tube\\:D/
Here's some of my work and it's all boro.I'm not good at taking photos so this is all I
have for now.

houptdavid 2014-03-05 6:52pm

Nighthawk you might want to drop into the Boro room

Listenup 2014-03-05 6:57pm

Welcome, and yes, this is the place for you.

I remember standing with my nose up against the glass watching a glass bender. I used to collect them (many, many years ago). I was thrilled to see the one of the DC Capital Building in the Smithsonian. I hope to see much more of your work.

tammydownunder 2014-03-05 7:30pm

In Aus and NZ, we call that kind of glass Lacework.

Welcome to LE

YellowRose 2014-03-05 7:54pm

Welcome!
Beautiful work.
Janet

menty666 2014-03-05 8:45pm

Welcome aboard! I ran across a spun glass artist a few years back doing a craft show, while I was mildly irked to see another glass artist in the room, it was cool to see another glass artist in the room, particularly one that did that style.

I think Lewis Wilson is still around here once in a while too. If I recall correctly he did it for a while before he moved to other techniques in boro.

Welcome :)