Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Fresh Opinions on Fugly Glass Colour? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236306)

MelanieG 2012-12-09 6:17pm

Fresh Opinions on Fugly Glass Colour?

There was a thread a couple of years back about 'Fugly' colours, and rather than resurrect that one, I'd like to get some fresh opinions on fugliness.

I'll start. I don't like the following colours. Some of them actually make me feel nauseous when I look at them.

EFF Streaky Denim
EFF Calico
VET Key Lime Parrot
REI Mystic Yellow
CIM Sand Dollar
EFF Acid Yellow
EFF Medium Cobalt
REI Soft Violet
VET Mauvelous

Eileen 2012-12-09 7:44pm

I like using the med cobalt (opaque) in BOC beads, nice & bright for the kids. I made some red/white/blue ones with it for sure.
I don't have the others so can't say, but if they are bright, I'd probably use them for BOC. I don't really use brights for much else yet, but who knows for the future.

Elizabeth Beads 2012-12-09 8:29pm

211 Sage Green Pastel (just yuck)
Closely followed by 210 Avocado (only if the avocado has gone bad is it that color)
Wasabi Yellow Ochre

I like most colors....

theglasszone 2012-12-09 8:31pm

Key Lime Parrot? Oh, I LOVE this color! If you want to ditch yours or trade, lemme know! ;)

theglasszone 2012-12-09 8:32pm

Oh, dang...and the Sage, Avocado and Wasabi colors are also some of my favorite! I have about 3 lbs of the Wasabi! :lol: These colors, in twistie combos with thin lines of black, make great "vine cane"!!! :)

ETA: Here's what the avocado/wasabi/sage/black vine cane looks like:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...le/BlkOrc6.jpg
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x.../BrownOrc4.jpg

:)

KJohn 2012-12-09 8:34pm

I want to love Calico. So. Much. I was dismayed when I found all the posts complaining of the results. I'm glad I checked it out. I look at the pictures and I still want it. Wah.

I've been looking for a better vine cane. I'll try that, thanks DeAnne.

------------------
Kristin ~

Ali Oops 2012-12-09 9:04pm

I love wasabi too! But alas it is no more :(

FosterFire 2012-12-09 9:08pm

Take acid yellow and case it with medium grass green transparent for a truly popping lime green.

Eileen 2012-12-09 9:49pm

Question: Never having had wasabi, is there anything close to it I could use if I want to make some twisties for stems/vines?

theglasszone 2012-12-09 10:08pm

I'll send you some if you'd like Eileen...I have lots! PM me your addy, OK? :)

AVTrout 2012-12-09 11:15pm

Mauvelous always turns out barfy when I use it.
I also dislike the CiM clears - they are always scummy for me, and I have almost 3 lbs. of it in various diameters. I've purchased it on 4 different occasions over the years, and it's always craptastic. I was sure the stringers would be different, so I bought a pound - A POUND! - of clear, but nope. Still yucky-scummy. I literally have it in a tube marked, "Shit Glass".
Bullseye Seaweed Green is also meh. I don't like all the inclusions in the glass.

Eileen 2012-12-09 11:23pm

Alexis I bought a few kinds of clear on my very first glass purchase, and I ended up using the CIM on bead cores because I didn't like it much. I'd forgotten about that.

Kalera 2012-12-09 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVTrout (Post 4183782)
I also dislike the CiM clears - they are always scummy for me, and I have almost 3 lbs. of it in various diameters. I've purchased it on 4 different occasions over the years, and it's always craptastic. I was sure the stringers would be different, so I bought a pound - A POUND! - of clear, but nope. Still yucky-scummy. I literally have it in a tube marked, "Shit Glass".
Bullseye Seaweed Green is also meh. I don't like all the inclusions in the glass.

Oh my goodness, I LOVE BE Seaweed! Unless we have completely different batches... are you talking about the pale transparent green with lots of avventurine sparkle?

SuzyQ 2012-12-10 4:54am

BE seaweed is one of my favorites too!

I also like Vetro Key Lime and Parrot.

I dislike most of the Effetre pastel purples. (I do like the pale orchid shade) They are just too chalky with gray brown tinges if worked with too little oxy.

istandalone24/7 2012-12-10 6:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVTrout (Post 4183782)

you've got to work cim clears WAY out in the back flame, and very cool temps at that. it takes some getting used to. once i learned how to use it properly cim clear was my favorite.

bexrox 2012-12-10 3:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth Beads (Post 4183676)
211 Sage Green Pastel (just yuck)
Closely followed by 210 Avocado (only if the avocado has gone bad is it that color)
Wasabi Yellow Ochre

Various shades of snot :badgrin:

bexrox 2012-12-10 4:08pm

I also LOVE key lime and parrot!

AVTrout 2012-12-10 4:10pm

Kalera, yep, mine has little aventurine sparkles in it, and I don't love it, not one bit.

allicat 2012-12-10 5:02pm

Moss Agate. Yuck. A muddy black, if that is at all possible. I'm giving mine to Eileen LOL maybe it will speak to her, cause it just mumbles to me.

Alli

Polgarra 2012-12-10 5:08pm

I used up all my CIM clears quickly. But the again I covered all of it with enamel :)

Whenever I have a color I dislike I end up using it a lot to 'use it up' them discover that it isn't bad when I 'blank blank blank'. So I don't think a strong dislike for any color just yet.

Elizabeth Beads 2012-12-10 5:21pm

That vine cane is pretty De, and if you want some more Sage and Avocado, let me know. I'd happily trade for murrini or something. I don't have a lot, less than a lb. of each I think, but it is the hand-pulled stuff. I may have some machine pulled Sage too. AGH sells it for $15 lb., not sure it is the hand pulled or not, but I just want it gone.

Eileen 2012-12-10 5:27pm

I'm laughing at myself, because I'm feeling sorry for the glass on the blech list, like the ugly dog or cat makes me feel bad for them & want to take them home.
And the phone just gave me a tornado warning, wow!

Sheila D. 2012-12-10 7:43pm

1 Attachment(s)
Effetre American Beauty...yuk
Have to agree on the Streaky Denim, can't make up it's mind if it's purple or blue
I used to hate Calico...so shocky. Then I made these,some are Mou. I kinda like them!

jamie lynne 2012-12-10 8:27pm

CIM Gooseberry. It scums no matter what I do. The color in the rod is pretty, the color once it's on a bead MEH.

CIM Twilight. Scums. Pretty, but crud.

Effetre Sunset. Like a orange and pink playdoh massacre. Though, I have seen larger beads that are pretty, I suppose because it has more room to spread out.

Effetre purple. Meh. Dirty old man sock color. Like something that has been washed too many times.

AK-??? something or other from DH. "Earthy Luna" Or... just earth, like dirt kind of earth. :lol: Big no.

The new "seeded white" isn't what it used to be. The first batch I bought was pretty 7-Up bubbly clear. Beautiful all on its own. The new batch is so saturated with bubbles that it turns white. NO.

carolinainmymind 2012-12-10 8:39pm

I kinda like the streaky denim, and I love the yellow ochre. The one I consider fugly right now is the Vetro Sunshine. Such a pretty yellow... except I have the batch with the black spots. I belive I have seen it referred to as "rotten banana". And I'm still trying to decide about mauvelous. It makes a good base color, but other than that... meh.

loribeads 2012-12-10 8:45pm

The ugliest color ever made was Bullseye Superman.

Elizabeth Beads 2012-12-10 9:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheila D. (Post 4184620)
Effetre American Beauty...yuk
Have to agree on the Streaky Denim, can't make up it's mind if it's purple or blue
I used to hate Calico...so shocky. Then I made these,some are Mou. I kinda like them!

Gorgeous Sheila. I love Mou. I don't think I have any Calico or have ever used it, but now ...

ElizabethCreations 2012-12-10 9:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loribeads (Post 4184690)
The ugliest color ever made was Bullseye Superman.

Gosh! I have to agree!
I have a few rods here and they are collecting dust for years now! 8-[

MelanieG 2012-12-11 12:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bexrox (Post 4184370)
I also LOVE key lime and parrot!

I love key lime. I love parrot. I don't love the hideous abomination that is key lime parrot. It was surely just a marketing gimmick to name it that because in this hybrid disaster of a layered colour, the opaque part is nothing like key lime and the transparent part is nothing like parrot. I don't think I have more than three rods of it left, which I reserved so that I could test the colour on my blog someday.

I love seeing what colours people don't like and why, and then that some of those colours do have someone out there that loves them!

I haven't had bad luck with twilight or gooseberry scamming up. I like twilight quite a bit, and gooseberry is really interestingly reactive. I don't like the moonstones (gooseberry) on principle though because you have to anneal them hotter and I am against using glass that makes me change how I normally work.

Lol @ pink play dough massacre. I also don't like sunset because it is expensive and you can just make your own by encasing a big glob of coral thinly with light pink and pulling it out into cane.

I have deep love for sage, avocado and yellow ochre / wasabi.

BeadedChic 2012-12-11 4:55am

Mauvelous is a personal favorite cause I use it as a base for silver glass and frit...tends to be just reactive enough that I can get some nice shimmers without too much effort. I keep trying to like Biscotti, but it fumes so quick, it just gives a murky brown once out of the kiln.