Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Free Tutorials (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Regular encased triangle bead tutorial (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91178)

beadgoodies 2008-05-08 3:18pm

Regular encased triangle bead tutorial

Here's how I make a regular encased triangle bead (as opposed to the layered type).

I used black, white and clear. I hope the pictures are self-explanatory. There’s no secret trick to making them.

Some examples of color combos I've done in the past:

Candy

kmd 2008-05-08 8:24pm

Yummy colours Candy. I am working away trying to make something that good.
Does the clear go all the way to the mandrel? Do you have a pic showing the holes? Mine seem to be bleeding out round the holes. Do you use a thick rod of clear?

Help!

KMD

Margrieten 2008-05-08 11:28pm

What a great beads and colors! Thank you for showing!
I always ask myself the encase question. How many layers do you put on them?
And just in in the middle and then let it flow away to the sides?

cherie 2008-05-09 7:26am

This is awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to do this!

cherie 2008-05-09 7:29am

Newbie here, but Ive read that you need enough clear for the dots/stripes to spread to the mandrel holes..I try to make a disk of clear as high as the bead is round to make sure it gets to the sides of the bead holes..I just tried making a few of these and I tend to get in a hurry and overheat..It helped for me to slow down and heat slowly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by margriet@stainedglass.nl (Post 1842217)

ginko 2008-05-09 8:33am

lovely! That's how I make them, too. The clear never completely covers the ends, but if that matters, you can use a marver and encourage the clear.

beadgoodies 2008-05-09 8:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmd (Post 1842008)
Yummy colours Candy. I am working away trying to make something that good.
Does the clear go all the way to the mandrel? Do you have a pic showing the holes? Mine seem to be bleeding out round the holes. Do you use a thick rod of clear?

Help!

KMD

The bleeding around the holes could be from several factors. Some colors bleed out more readily than others -- opaque green, dark ivory, opaque purple, etc. If you're using any of these colors in your base bead, I would suggest working in non-spreading colors until you get really good at making these. It's also possible that your base bead is too hot to encase. You want the base bead to be cool before you encase it. Not so cold that it cracks, but cool enough so that it doesn't meld with the encasement glass too soon. Another possibility is that you aren't using enough encasement glass to effectively cover the base bead. Just keep practicing. You'll get the hang of it eventually.

Candy

beadgoodies 2008-05-09 8:57am

Quote:

Originally Posted by margriet@stainedglass.nl (Post 1842217)

I use one thick snake of encasement glass right down the center. As the encasement glass melts it will pull the rounded dots underneath it into triangles. This type of encasing is why this method of making triangle beads works.

If you aren't comfortable encasing this way, you can make triangle beads without encasing: http://www.glassbaker.com/triangles.html I never got good at this technique, but it works for some people.

Candy

Margrieten 2008-05-09 11:42pm

Thanks Candy, You're great!

anne225 2008-05-10 7:05am

Well here comes a dumb question..:-\"..It looks like you use one of the dot colors also as the base color...is that so?

#-o
Anne

beadgoodies 2008-05-10 9:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by anne225 (Post 1844424)
Well here comes a dumb question..:-\"..It looks like you use one of the dot colors also as the base color...is that so?

#-o
Anne

Yes, the base is black. The top dots are black and white. If you don't add the black dots, there's nothing to preserve the shape of the white dots. It's a "place holder" dot.

Candy

StOrM 2008-05-10 9:40am

you probably dont HAVE to use the base color as dots
Example : White bead with transparent dots. like the last picture candy has in the first post.

nana 2008-05-27 10:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by beadgoodies (Post 1841324)
Here's how I make a regular encased triangle bead (as opposed to the layered type).

I used black, white and clear. I hope the pictures are self-explanatory. There’s no secret trick to making them.

Some examples of color combos I've done in the past:

Candy

Candy,
thanks for this ( and other) great tutorials. =D>
quick question do you always use one of the dots coulor as the base?
when i do these trisngle beads they don't end up as round and plump as yours
is it to do with the encasement or is it an optical illusion and your are also a donut shape??:?::?::?:

*ShirlAnn* 2013-01-31 6:42pm

Candy,
Thank you for such a good tutorial that I can really USE! I'm new, and I see that this is a bead that I can actually make, which is really great. Love it!

istandalone24/7 2013-02-01 10:21am

thank you!
i've been trying to figure those out.

Katerinoula 2018-12-18 5:45am

A definite 'aha!!' moment!
Thank you for sharing this!

halkrider@msn.com 2020-04-13 11:03am

I am a newbie, but I have to try these. Thanks