Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Newb needs help (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273365)

hawkglass 2014-12-15 7:36pm

Newb needs help

Hey guys I'm looking to get a glass setup working boro but I recently lost my job :/ so what I'm asking is if there's anybody near me in midwest michigan that I can melt glass with or if there's anybody sellin a torch hoses regs or flashbacks for a good price .....
I'm also looking for
a med claw grabber
a small handheld marble mold
3/4" graphite rod
And a vin pin

I spent a bit of time on a beth bravo but I'm no longer able to use it

Thanks guys I hope to hear from some of you soon

hawkglass 2014-12-15 8:57pm

Anybody?

hawkglass 2014-12-16 9:57am

Bump

shawnette 2014-12-16 10:10am

If you're looking to buy, post in the Garage Sale. If you're looking for someone close by, post in My Backyard

istandalone24/7 2014-12-16 10:15am

and please don't pull the same shite over here that you did on talkglass ;)

hawkglass 2014-12-16 10:49am

Istandalone I have no intrest in posting like crazy here because all I have experiance with is boro and most people on here work soft glass .....I stick to what I'm interested in

snoopdog6502 2014-12-16 2:59pm

This site is a lot more easy going. The work accomplish by artist here with a $40 hot head on mapp gas is amazing. makes me want to learn soft glass too.

Get a hothead Hawk. I got one and a whip for a big tank. I have SS mandrels just need some bead release.

Got to round up some gear little by little.

Sue in Maine 2014-12-16 3:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 (Post 4690911)
This site is a lot more easy going. The work accomplish by artist here with a $40 hot head on mapp gas is amazing. makes me want to learn soft glass too.

Get a hothead Hawk. I got one and a whip for a big tank. I have SS mandrels just need some bead release.

Got to round up some gear little by little.

If he's working with boro, a hh won't do.

Hawk: You don't really need the claw grabbers. Just drop your marble into your marble mold and turn the marble around, attaching a cold seal punty. It's a lot easier to handle than the grabbers. Just my thoughts... but others agree! lol

I'm in Maine so can't help with torchtime in my little studio but I hope you find someone nearby.

Good luck with your job search.

Sue

hawkglass 2014-12-16 3:31pm

The claw grabbers will mainly be for hollow work in boro lol I'm actully working on making a se till I can get a cheap pair after I get a torch

snoopdog6502 2014-12-16 5:09pm

A purchased much of my start up at Devardi , my hoses, regulators and flash suppressors and check valves was $138. The claw grabber was less then $10,Marble mold with handle was like 14-16 bucks.

Devardi does have some good cheap items. You cant beat this deal, it got me melting.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Devardi-Glas...item338fa24076

hawkglass 2014-12-16 5:53pm

Well you can but that doesn't mean u should ...I found some hoae for 20$ 25' and some flashbacks for 25$ and if I get the devardi regs I should be set ....I just like finding the best possible deal I can before jumpin in and buyin stuff ....most of the tools I'm probly gunna get from devardi if I can't find used ones and I'm really considering a major that's on ebay for 225 comes with regs and hoses

menty666 2014-12-16 9:09pm

Just a word of warning for others who might find this thread later...

While it's not necessary to buy the top of the line everything, keep in mind that your hoses are integral to the safe operation of your setup. I'm not going to go into temporary vs. permanent setups, fire codes, piping vs. hoses, etc. But maybe consider that if you spend a few extra dollars on better hoses now, it can save you thousands later in medical bills and legal claims when your bargain hoses burst and set your studio on fire. Or possibly leak pooling propane on the ground only to catch a spark when you flip on the light. It's not just you that's at risk, it's your home, your loved ones, your neighbors, etc.

You're literally playing with fire here, take the time to do it safely and responsibly.

hawkglass 2014-12-16 9:12pm

They are still t-grade hoses I juat found some by me on sale because of overstock

menty666 2014-12-16 10:46pm

cool!

sunray 2014-12-17 4:18pm

We have one vin pin in stock pm me if your interested

hawkglass 2014-12-17 6:25pm

How much is the one ypu have in stock? And what size is it?

istandalone24/7 2014-12-19 5:26am

PM her for pricing. this is the same crap you pulled on TMP....not reading what is right in front of you.

snoopdog6502 2014-12-19 11:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 (Post 4692010)
PM her for pricing. this is the same crap you pulled on TMP....not reading what is right in front of you.

Same level of rudeness you bring here as displayed at TMP.

Its none of your business so butt out!

hawkglass 2014-12-19 11:48am

Thanks snoop

De Anza Art Glass Club 2014-12-19 2:56pm

The Ignore List is your very best friend with some users.

UserCP > Edit Ignore List

Quote:

Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 (Post 4692010)

istandalone24/7 2015-01-01 8:35am

yea but it's more fun to point out blatant selective blindness. it goes to show the "me me me" of today's youth.

Sunray said PM her for pricing as she doesn't want to list her prices here. for good reason. lots of vendors do the same.

so what does Hawk do? says "how much and what size". after she specifically said to pm her. i'm a member in good standing of LE, so this is my business. it's our business.

if yall saw the amt of bs on talkglass he started you'd just know.

snoopdog6502 2015-01-01 11:17am

Still picking on the kid? Shame on you! you go out of your way to stir up trouble.

The people at TMP were downright rude and nasty and ganged up on the kid. he did little more than chat and get abused.

Hammer 2015-01-01 1:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 (Post 4697290)
Still picking on the kid? Shame on you! you go out of your way to stir up trouble.

The people at TMP were downright rude and nasty and ganged up on the kid. he did little more than chat and get abused.

Wrong. They were rude at first but he was warned. He ignored the warning and got what he deserved.

menty666 2015-01-01 6:05pm

Most folks over there are actually quite friendly, but you have to check yourself or you wind up with what happened. Hawk was giving advice ahead of himself and folks knew it and called him out on it.

Starting that thread that he started inviting the wrath was just asking for trouble.

But...bygones, under the bridge, etc.

istandalone24/7 2015-01-05 7:17am

the last two posts nailed it. snoopdog6502, if you agree with what he was doing over on TMP (giving advice to which he had no knowledge) you are part of the problem, not part of a solution.

i do not go out of my way to stir up trouble, i just call it as i see it.

De Anza Art Glass Club 2015-01-05 8:46am

My view is different. They were not rude at first. The rudeness escalated on both sides after he expressed his attitude as, "I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing because I know I'm right and this has happened to me before so I don't care what anyone else thinks."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer (Post 4697346)
Wrong. They were rude at first but he was warned. He ignored the warning and got what he deserved.

snoopdog6502 2015-01-05 11:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 (Post 4698871)
the last two posts nailed it. snoopdog6502, if you agree with what he was doing over on TMP (giving advice to which he had no knowledge) you are part of the problem, not part of a solution.

i do not go out of my way to stir up trouble, i just call it as i see it.

you guys were all pissy and still pissy over some chatty kid.

Sure are real thin skinny moody old ladies over there, on the rag about anything.

De Anza Art Glass Club 2015-01-05 12:49pm

Absolutely not. He was not chatty. That's the problem. Short answers with absolutely no explanation on how he arrived at his opinions or how they applied to the situation.

When challenged, his reply was, to paraphrase, "I did my research. Deal with it."

He only became chatty when it came to defending himself. If he had spend one tenth of that time on his original posts, he could have gotten a discussion of glass tools, equipment, and suppliers going, but he offered none of that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snoopdog6502 (Post 4698971)
you guys were all pissy and still pissy over some chatty kid.

hawkglass 2015-01-06 4:47am

Its in the past and the problems been resolved, this last few weeks ive been working in a different state so that i can get what i need and start blowing glass again the main problem was my lack of experiance

snoopdog6502 2015-01-06 7:07am

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkglass (Post 4699278)
Its in the past and the problems been resolved, this last few weeks ive been working in a different state so that i can get what i need and start blowing glass again the main problem was my lack of experiance

Good, Hope you get going, my new kiln is on its way! I got the enameling collar should be here this week.
so its 8 x 8 x 13-1/2