Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What is EDP? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294834)

Al Miaco 2017-04-21 5:25pm

What is EDP?

I just bought Corina's color reactions booklet. Seems a good buy for 5 bucks.

But there are a lot of references to a color that is called EDP.

Could not find reference to EDP on this site. Nor could I find anything about it on Franz when doing a search there either.

Thought it might mean extra deep purple, but that search did not help either.

Newbie question for sure but what is EDP?

cheers

echeveria 2017-04-21 5:28pm

Effetre Purple #254. Also known as Evil Devitrifying Purple. It can go chalky and whitish when overheated. I love it.

Al Miaco 2017-04-22 2:42am

Ahh, yes thanks. I seem to remember Corina talking about that in her book "Passing the Flame".

Ravenesque 2017-04-30 12:23am

hijacking, is it still out? I never really buy it ever, had a want for some and I don't see any, I thought I just saw a post that it was back in stock ? Searching didn't find any post lately, did I dream it lol

echeveria 2017-04-30 12:33am

It is Effetre pastel Purple 591254, and I don't see it on the Frantz site. Some like the older stock better.

KJohn 2017-04-30 11:39am

Looks like they are out. I do get similar effects from 253 known as striped pink. Also Sedona...might be a few others. Sedona is awesome.

http://frantzartglass.com/effetre-ro...rod-591253.asp

Ravenesque 2017-04-30 9:59pm

I love sedona, striped pink...what I have seems to be more bubble gum pink, maybe I need to revisit it.

I've used edp before, i just couldn't find it. And as said, I swear someone just asked and Mike said it was in or coming in, but I can't find that convo.

Al Miaco 2017-05-01 8:03pm

All very interesting. So much to know.

Out of 90 beads featured in Corina's color reactions booklet, 17 used EDP. Seems it would be a popular color but appears that it is not (readily) available.

echeveria 2017-05-01 8:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Miaco (Post 4925710)
All very interesting. So much to know.

Out of 90 beads featured in Corina's color reactions booklet, 17 used EDP. Seems it would be a popular color but appears that it is not (readily) available.

It typically is

RSimmons 2017-06-07 7:45am

Older stock of EDP is still floating around. One important thing to remember is that old EDP is a leaded glass, about 27%. This may be a problem for some people so it's a good thing to keep in mind.

Robert

FosterFire 2017-06-10 5:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravenesque (Post 4925487)
I love sedona, striped pink...what I have seems to be more bubble gum pink, maybe I need to revisit it.

I've used edp before, i just couldn't find it. And as said, I swear someone just asked and Mike said it was in or coming in, but I can't find that convo.

Frantz usually has some fun and reactive stuff on sale. (Posting this on June 10th of 17) I still have EDP. It can be tricky if you're not used to working with it. I either work it hot or cold but if you reheat, especially repeatedly you get the dreaded "yuck" look. You can get it nice and hot and the yuck will go away. They reformulated EDP to try to fix the yuck problem and then they ended up making it not as fun.

You might find a better solution with the Gaffer Girls version of Z99..I forget the exact name but it has "purple" in the name. Now that is some fun stuff!

kansassky 2017-06-10 7:59am

Caveat. Gaffer is 96coe. EDP is 104COE..

Eileen 2017-06-10 8:08am

Reichenbach has a couple purples in 104 that are fun too. Purple Rose and something with Lilac in the name maybe?

Ravenesque 2017-06-12 2:28pm

I've tried the Reichenbach's, those are great, but I want that pink. Those are mostly blue purples, or at least the ones I've tried ? I've tried some of the pinks too but it must be the lead I'm looking for, that bright pinky purple. I'm open to color suggestions always.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FosterFire (Post 4936532)
Frantz usually has some fun and reactive stuff on sale. (Posting this on June 10th of 17) I still have EDP. It can be tricky if you're not used to working with it. I either work it hot or cold but if you reheat, especially repeatedly you get the dreaded "yuck" look. You can get it nice and hot and the yuck will go away. They reformulated EDP to try to fix the yuck problem and then they ended up making it not as fun.

You might find a better solution with the Gaffer Girls version of Z99..I forget the exact name but it has "purple" in the name. Now that is some fun stuff!

Agreed. I've used EDP for years, one of the first colors I bought was that.
Gaffer no longer makes lampwork cane though :sad: Though Reichenbach has a version as well, Purple Rose.