Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   What do you use for a large frit tray? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213496)

lacey 2011-12-22 7:35am

What do you use for a large frit tray?

Anyone out there know where I can purchase large frit trays? I'm wanting to make jars (actually more like tumblers) and Christmas ornaments.

I have a video where they talk about using those disposable aluminum food containers to store frit, but you can't use those to roll your hot glass in, right? I know aluminum has kind of a low melting point, but not sure how it compares to the glass that would be rolled in it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

lacey 2011-12-22 7:38am

Oh, guess I should add, I've found some on some glass blowing sites, but they're all out of stock.... :(

Mary K 2011-12-22 7:44am

Some of the best frit trays I have, I got at antique stores. When my Mom comes for a visit, she always likes to go to the antiques stores, and there are a lot of them in my little tourist trap town, so I have my eyes peeled for brass trays, etc. My favorite is an old brass ashray that has zodiac signs around it and works perfectly. And it was $4.
I also use flat shaped glass jars with lids, great for frit storage and use in one.

lacey 2011-12-22 7:48am

Ah, good to know! Never thought about old brass trays - thanks for the tip!

So the glass jars, you have enough frit in there so that your piece is small in comparison to the size of the jar and the quantity of frit, right? So you just kind of touch your hot piece onto the frit to pick it up, right?

lacey 2011-12-22 7:51am

Oh! These look like they might work good for ornaments!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHINESE-VINT...item1c2209f858

Juln 2011-12-22 7:59am

Aluminum won't burst into flames or anything (though actually it is flammable at fairly low temp, with enough oxygen).

A dollar store near my house offers a wide array of stainless steel trays and dishes. Gravy boats work well - the spot can handle a punty or be used to pour. You can also find them at restaurant suppliers.

It's important that it be not too deep.

lacey 2011-12-22 8:10am

I like the dollar store idea! Thank you!

menty666 2011-12-22 8:36am

yeah, one thing I always forget is to make sure there's a good way to easily get the frit back out and into the bottle. Round trays (like candle plates) kind suck from that angle. It doesn't stop me, but I regret it later when I'm trying to pour back into a 4 oz bottle LOL

lacey 2011-12-22 8:47am

Hahaha - yeah, awhile back I finally went and bought a plastic funnel (like one that you use to pour oil into your car) and keep it in my shop. It makes things so much easier!

deb tarry 2011-12-22 9:29am

I like the brass ashtrays from ebay, I am always on the look out at second hand stores and garage sales.

Lorraine Chandler 2011-12-22 9:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacey (Post 3828840)
Anyone out there know where I can purchase large frit trays? I'm wanting to make jars (actually more like tumblers) and Christmas ornaments.

I have a video where they talk about using those disposable aluminum food containers to store frit, but you can't use those to roll your hot glass in, right? I know aluminum has kind of a low melting point, but not sure how it compares to the glass that would be rolled in it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I went to the tips, and techniques forum, typed in frit trays in the "search this forum box" and there were lots and lots of threads with great ideas. Give it a try and see if anything there would be perfect for you.:waving:

deb tarry 2011-12-22 9:39am

Great idea I didn't know you could be that specific with the searches, thanks for letting us know.

nate-d 2011-12-22 11:23am

At the flea market I found a set of 5 small stainless steel bowls for $5.

Flame Ryder 2011-12-22 11:39am

Goodwill is a GOLD MINE of frit trays glass and metal.

Juln 2011-12-22 1:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lacey (Post 3828907)
Hahaha - yeah, awhile back I finally went and bought a plastic funnel (like one that you use to pour oil into your car) and keep it in my shop. It makes things so much easier!

Blow a funnel!

MelanieG 2011-12-22 1:42pm

I don't like frit trays. I like storing my frit in wide-mouth jars.

Then, when I want to use it, I scoop some out with a large spoon, roll the bead in the frit in the bowl of the spoon, and then just empty the spoon back into the jar. No mess at all, and no need to pour anything anywhere and stir up any dust.

Lorraine Chandler 2011-12-22 1:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb tarry (Post 3828954)
Great idea I didn't know you could be that specific with the searches, thanks for letting us know.

You're welcome, LE is HUGE! and it sure helps to be able to narrow the searches down a little.:)

lacey 2011-12-22 1:53pm

Thank you guys for all the great ideas! Now I have an idea of what to be on the look-out for. I can see how the gravy boats would work perfectly.

Thanks for the tip on searching the forums. I did that and did get a lot of good information.

loco 2011-12-22 1:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oenone (Post 3829256)
I don't like frit trays. I like storing my frit in wide-mouth jars.

Then, when I want to use it, I scoop some out with a large spoon, roll the bead in the frit in the bowl of the spoon, and then just empty the spoon back into the jar. No mess at all, and no need to pour anything anywhere and stir up any dust.

One needs to take into consideration the size of the piece that your putting frit on... I use this style that 6 in wide by 10 inches long. I place it in a baking pan to catch the over spill and pour it back into my jars. I only use one pound size jars.

ABR has them in stock in 2 sizes Just search frit tray.
http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...oducts_id=1814

I would NEVER use aluminum, but that is because of the way I work and at times have my flame right on the tray. That said I do have a powder box made of aluminum (it was a custom made gift) and I've melted the crap out of it!

lacey 2011-12-22 1:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juln (Post 3829251)
Blow a funnel!

Sometimes it's nice not to have to worry about breaking anything other than the piece that I'm working on - LOL

loco 2011-12-22 2:00pm

Please make sure your frit has cooled down before using your funnel. I've melted many frit jars...

lacey 2011-12-22 2:11pm

Thanks for the picture loco - that's actually what I had in mind. Good idea setting it in a baking pan to catch any over spill. And good point about making sure it's cooled down. I can totally see myself doing that.

mightymike 2011-12-22 2:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juln (Post 3829251)
Blow a funnel!

why did I not think of that ?

THANKS

Juln 2011-12-22 2:27pm

Careful pouring frit back into a jar... due to the hazards of colored glass dust, I'd only do that under strong ventilation, wearing a respirator, outdoors, or a combination thereof.

patienthand 2011-12-22 3:47pm

pie tin works great, but I LOVE my half tube one that I bought. Wheb I am doing production ornaments etc( in the past) I used a pie tin and a spatula to remound the frit as needed.

kokeshikitten 2011-12-22 3:49pm

I wonder if a shallow tart pan would work? I have been having the same question. Some tart pans are deeper than others but they do seem to come in a variety of sizes. http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...l5l0&mvs=0#p=0

menty666 2011-12-22 4:45pm

My gripe about the gravy boat is that if you have something larger and have a handle on one end and a hollow blow tube on the other, you can't get into the gravy boat. The half tube style Loco shows is one of the best ways to go for that situation.

Bunyip 2011-12-22 5:43pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by loco (Post 3829274)
One needs to take into consideration the size of the piece that your putting frit on... I use this style that 6 in wide by 10 inches long.

If you know anyone with a sheet metal shop you can make those really inexpensively. A $150.00 sheet of stainless (4x10) will yield 24 or more large trays as described depending on your stretch out (I assumed a very conservative 24" stretch out). The tough part is the curve if you don't have a roller but you can do it in a break too...

loco 2011-12-23 10:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juln (Post 3829316)
Careful pouring frit back into a jar... due to the hazards of colored glass dust, I'd only do that under strong ventilation, wearing a respirator, outdoors, or a combination thereof.

That, among other things, is why I have a powder box. Safety is the only thing equal to fun in my world...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunyip (Post 3829558)
If you know anyone with a sheet metal shop you can make those really inexpensively. A $150.00 sheet of stainless (4x10) will yield 24 or more large trays as described depending on your stretch out (I assumed a very conservative 24" stretch out). The tough part is the curve if you don't have a roller but you can do it in a break too...

Gawd I don't need that many of them LOL!! I've got three or four of them around here and have given more of them away to friends. I pick them up at shows / events for less than the price stated.

cheng076 2011-12-23 12:23pm

Costco sells quarter size aluminum baking pans for about $4.00, about 9" X 12" or so. I assume you're talking a pan to roll up the frit rather than store it?