Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   fire sign? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188451)

Onekura 2011-02-28 9:48pm

fire sign?

just wondering how many of you lampworker are actually fire signs (astrologically). Are fire signs more likely to enjoy working with flames? I know, this shouldn't be in the boro room, but I thought the true addicts work boro.
so please click the poll - maybe we all like to know . . .

MagpieGlass 2011-02-28 11:00pm

How do you tell what elemental sign you are??

I'm an Aquarian so I always assumed I was a water baby. (and I really do love the water) But I like to get my hands in the soil with gardening and I love to torch. The only element I don't like is wind ... it makes me jumpy!!

Mr. Meker 2011-02-28 11:15pm

I don't put stock in this stuff, but I'm an air. According to the Chinese I'm a wood dog, but ask anyone else and I'm just a normal person!

shawnette 2011-03-01 5:18am

Leo, baby! (and I prefer soft glass. Off mandrel, of course. ;) )

Bunyip 2011-03-01 5:20am

#1 I'm a Saggitarius (fire)

#2 I put no stock in Astrology - but I do think that it is remotely possible that the season you are born in can affect temperament in a general way.

#3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrolo..._four_elements for which element you might be.

#4 Shawnette secretly loves boro or she would give me her glass so don't believe her - she's in denial. (nice edit there girlie)

dweezil 2011-03-01 5:59am

Fire all the way

I am an Aries. Major fire!!:wave:

wickedglass 2011-03-01 7:32am

Glass is made from sand (earth), made more liquid (water) using a torch (fire) and given shape by breath (air).

Before you say "hang on I make beads and don't blow my glass"; don't forget that air and oxygen are also used to make your flame hotter ;)

So, why is it important to ask who is a fire sign and hence make the implication that being a fire sign is more suited to glassworking? Just because fire is the most obvious and visible part of glassmaking?
It's like a finger pointing at the moon. You look at the finger, you miss all the heavenly glory!
In regards to making glass, fire would be useless without all the rest and vice versa.

Besides, by the opening statement "just wondering how many of you lampworker are actually fire signs" and "Are fire signs more likely to enjoy working with flames?" you're already polarizing the poll ;) Better just to have the poll without initial comments and present your hypothesis once the results are in ... I'm sure I'm not the only one who didn't vote :P

MagpieGlass 2011-03-01 8:22am

Chris ... thanks for the link. I'm the element that I'm least enamored with.

Wicked ... like your analysis. I figured the poll was just a bit of fun. But it's nice to see how all elements pull together to make the whole of the experiece. There's a strong lesson in that ... I believe!!

Swirls 2011-03-01 12:00pm

Interesting poll. I'm water but love to play with fire.

Linda

Three Muses Glass 2011-03-01 12:35pm

I'm Pisces and in chinese astrology Water Tiger. I don't really believe in much of it but the chinese astrology seems to me to be more accurate in compatibility predictions.

I like this very much-

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedglass (Post 3424518)
Glass is made from sand (earth), made more liquid (water) using a torch (fire) and given shape by breath (air).

Makes me feel all New Age-y, one with the 4 corners and chit. lol

earlbacher 2011-03-01 3:53pm

earth sign, Capricorn, chinese sing is dragon

emtjab 2011-03-01 4:33pm

I honestly didn't know there was an "element sign"...so I learned something today. I'm an Air, which totally fits!!! lol

Onekura 2011-03-01 5:38pm

Sorry, don't take this too seriously. We had a discussion about it and I thought it would be interesting to find out if there is anything to it or not. My wife always says " your a fire sign and thats why you have to play with fire all the time . . . ." So far it looks like there is nothing to it. This is not a scientific experiment - just for fun . .

GLASSFREEK 2011-03-01 7:05pm

I figure fire and air are required for combustion. Water and earth can put out. Therefore we are all qualified to be addicts.

Firebrand Beads 2011-03-01 8:25pm

It might be more instructive to ask "has anyone ever told you that you were a perfectionist, detail oriented, or even anal??" If so, you could have the proper temperament to be a lampworker....

Double fire, btw...

MagpieGlass 2011-03-01 9:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads (Post 3425498)
It might be more instructive to ask "has anyone ever told you that you were a perfectionist, detail oriented, or even anal??" If so, you could have the proper temperament to be a lampworker....

Double fire, btw...

Yup ... yup ... & yup. Pretty much every employee evaluation I've ever gotten regardless of the boss.

I've gotten better about the whole perfectionist thing ... at least with other people ... still tend to be really hard on myself. Especially about my artist endeavors.

deb tarry 2011-03-02 8:29am

I don't know what sign I am but I sure like to melt glass, it make me smile.

Truewealth 2011-03-03 6:11am

Hmm.....a leo..fire sign...elemental sign of fire too. I work soft glass, but have a nice stash of boro yet to be played with. I love the look of boro.

I also work with a torch via the jewelry design...so.. more fire.

BellaBean 2011-03-04 9:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads (Post 3425498)

Hmmm... I'm detail oriented but not the rest. Glass appeals to me because there is so much to constantly learn and try. I love an adventure and I'm passionate about my interests. I usually become obsessed with something until I master all aspects of it, then I abandon it for something else. I can honestly say that I think I will still be doing glass 50 years from now and it will still hold my interest.

Ps. Sagitarius here (fire sign)

alb6094 2011-03-05 12:26am

Leo here! :D

Kalera 2011-03-05 1:54am

I'm a Taurus, an earth sign. I've been in love with melting glass since I first touched a torch in 1992, and never looked back.

BTW, boro or soft, true addicts work with glass, period. ;)

Kevan 2011-03-05 3:08am

I'm a water dragon. Supposedly, this corresponds to Aries in Astrology. But I'm Aquarius, so what's up with that?

Kevan 2011-03-05 1:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by wickedglass (Post 3424518)
It's like a finger pointing at the moon. You look at the finger, you miss all the heavenly glory!

OMG....a line from Enter the Dragon.:lol:

deb tarry 2011-03-05 4:15pm

Interesting water is leading.

Kevan 2011-03-05 9:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deb tarry (Post 3429941)
Interesting water is leading.

That might have to do with more babies being born in certain months of the year.

Quote:

More newborns arrive during the late summer and early fall months of July, August, and September than any other time of the year.
http://www.babycenter.com/0_22-surpr...tes_1372273.bc

Baywinger 2011-03-06 7:12pm

Aries
and my wife who also loves to play with hot glass is a Leo

JackieG 2011-03-09 7:27am

I'm a Leo, but I've been a scuba diver a lot longer than I've done glass.... I guess that might explain everything!

Judith Billig 2011-03-12 12:41am

And another Leo here :)

G.L.McBead 2011-03-15 12:58pm

i hit the wrong one, i'm air and i hit water.
whooops,
G.

Jimmy Mays 2019-09-16 9:22am

Somehow accidentally got here and realized that it's really worth HomeMakerGuide 
 it. It's a delight not a site