Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Oxygen generator promblem...could be simple... (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256204)

coollit 2013-12-03 8:30am

Oxygen generator promblem...could be simple...

Hi, all....could anyone perhaps direct me to resources on oxygen generator problems? I have a M10, 10psi, 5lpm generator (not sure the diff. btw that and concentrator) that I bought from Unlimited Oxygen (I know, I know, but my dealings with them were not terrible) and has been running without a hitch for maybe a year and a half...maybe even more, not sure.

But now I have a badly sputtering flame. Big loud noise and lots of sputtering is the best way I can describe it. Sometimes I can lower the gas and get it to behave but it invariably loses the nice shape flame and goes all sputtery again.

Can anyone guide me through this? Is there a filter that needs changing? Is it a serious problem?

Hoping this might be a simple one....much thanks in advance....

Lisa

losthelm 2013-12-03 8:59am

Look for a copy of the manual, most concentrators have a filter on the intake that's fairly easy to remove and clean.
If its the millennium M 10 the inlet filter is on the left side of the machine, the filter simply gets washed with a mild detergent rinsed, squeezed, and air dry before reinstalling.
The brand/model number should help you find the manual through Google.
It may not fix your issue but its a place to start.
Some other common issues are the machine being to close to the wall/floor causing issues with the motor.

coollit 2013-12-03 9:15am

thank you!

I will check out the filter situation immediately.

Lisa

fusionillusionartglass 2013-12-03 9:32am

I just had a similar problem and it was a kinked hose behind the filter.

coollit 2013-12-03 9:39am

Wish I could click "like" on this board! thanks.

cheng076 2013-12-03 12:14pm

coollit,

The only difference between them is size. It seems that if the unit is movable it is called a concentrator and if permanently/semi-permanently installed it is called a generator. More accuurately they are concentrators since they take the air and remove the nitrogen thus concentrating the oxygen. There are oxy generators but they work on a different chemical process.

PJ

bobkeyes 2013-12-03 1:23pm

Lisa, There are also filters INSIDE the unit. Mine has a door on the back. When opened it gives access to other filters. These cannot be washed, as the other can. They must be replaced. There's a new fellow, I think Dave is his name, that has these filters quite cheap. I think in the range of 10 bucks a set.
Try the first one, by washing it out. Make sure it is dry before re-installing it. If that doesn't work replace the others.

carolrouth 2018-02-14 1:30am

Definitely! The HEPA filter needs to be changed, and it is super easy to do. Flip open the door that holds the gray filter and pop out the old HEPA filter. You don’t need to unscrew anything or open the case. I bought a whole new set of filters on Amazon for $16. The flame was absolutely uncontrollable, noisy, yellow, totally useless. With new filters, it’s back to being its perfect charming self. I had to run the concentrator with the new filter for about an hour before the greenlight would stay on. The first filter change was done at about 6700 hours, and I now have 12,200 hours on the concentrator.

Speedslug 2018-02-14 8:54am

Something to keep in mind about these machines is that they are designed to be over hauled every 3 or 4 years.

Because of this they can have tubing inside that can age and crack without even touching it. The tubing can be easily replaced with stuff from the local hardware store.

There is also a bio filter just before the out put that can clog so replace that as well when you are changing out the filters.

Beadbroad10 2018-02-14 3:53pm

Have you checked the internal filter?? Could be that

carolrouth 2018-02-15 2:52am

Shoot. I didn’t replace the biofilter. I took the screws out of the case, but it didn’t open easily (at all) so I decided to just change out the hepa filter. So far the torch is working like new. Keeping my fingers crossed, as I tossed out the new bio filter.
How many hours have you got on your concentrators?

Beadazoid 2018-02-17 2:00pm

I got a lot of help from Justin at OxygenPlus Medical Systems. He is Justin L on here. I just bought a filter change pack VERY inexpensive.