Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Beau Anderson - Has anyone taken his classes? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274892)

bepnewt 2015-01-29 1:45pm

Beau Anderson - Has anyone taken his classes?

Hello, all.

Has anyone taken a class with Beau Anderson from Arkansas Craft School?

He has taught at
- Pittsburgh School of Glass
- The Hands on Studio in Corning, New York
- Pratt Fine Arts Center Seattle
- Pasquale Guagan School in Paris, France
- Glass Designs in Hamburg, Germany

I'm considering taking a class with him on Pendants and Marbles in May of this year. It's the first class I've seen that's within driving distance.

If you have taken his class(es), I'd like to hear your experience - what you learned, how the class went, was it worth it, etc.

Thanks,
-BEP

artsyuno 2015-01-29 2:19pm

I've took a couple of classes from him at Pratt several years ago. He's a fun instructor who can do pretty much anything. He's been working with glass since he was a child. I took a weekend workshop where we made bead totems and then a lengthier bead class where we did a ton of different things from different bead techniques to learning how to make rose cane and implosion pendants.

bepnewt 2015-01-29 3:48pm

Thank you, Felicia. If you don't mind, what was your skill level on compressions ( implosions ) before you went in and how well can you do them, now?

Ie. Did his tutoring take your skill up many notches with compressions?

-BEP

artsyuno 2015-01-29 5:09pm

I would say my general skill level at the time was advanced beginner. It was the first time I had done a compression and I was able to do it successfully. It was in soft glass (the whole class was soft glass). I have no way of knowing whether he'd take you up a level not knowing what your skill level is and not having done boro with him, assuming that's what the class is you're looking at.

bepnewt 2015-01-29 9:15pm

Thanks again.

I also consider myself to be an advanced beginner overall and a beginner with marbles, so that's good to hear. The class I'm looking at will also be all soft glass. I've tried marbles in both soft and boro and I find boro to be easier. If I take it, I'll prefer it to be a soft glass class so it works out for me.

Your input was very helpful,
-BEP

Quote:

Originally Posted by artsyuno (Post 4708770)
I would say my general skill level at the time was advanced beginner. It was the first time I had done a compression and I was able to do it successfully. It was in soft glass (the whole class was soft glass). I have no way of knowing whether he'd take you up a level not knowing what your skill level is and not having done boro with him, assuming that's what the class is you're looking at.

greghumphrey 2015-02-05 9:14pm

Beau

I had a class with him and his mom at Bead and Button last year and they were excellent instructors. They had a plan, the needed supplies and lab setup. He knew a great deal about working glass and was flexible in using it help the students in his class according to what they needed and wanted.

bepnewt 2015-02-06 8:01am

I appreciate the input, GH.

-BEP