Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Aurora (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31754)

NBN GLASS 2006-08-25 3:54am

Aurora

I need a little advice on Northstar color Aurora. I used some last night for the first time, had the torch on a nice oxy hiss and before I put the beads in kiln they were gorgeous, beautiful purple, blue with "lightening bolts" of magenta. Then ran them through the kiln to hit 1050 for an hour and then ramped down. NOW these once gorgeous beads are brownish/tan and are going to the garbage. I really would have like them to stay the way they were before the kiln.

any suggestions,
Brenda

dogmaw 2006-08-25 5:10am

don't throw them out! Many people like brown beads. Brown is the "in" color this fall. I can't tell you how to make them not brown, but don't throw them out! :D

IF-Designs 2006-08-25 5:20am

You kiln may run a lil hot and an hour was just too long for those beads im venturing to guess.... If you get them to the color you want them at in the flame Dont run a striking annealing cycle with your kiln or you venture to really change the color of your beads. I would run a very concervative annealing schedule on the lower end ove 1000and on the shorter time end and see how it comes out next time...even the change of 10-20 degrees over 15 minutes can make a big difference.

NBN GLASS 2006-08-25 5:57am

THANKS a bunch Jo and Karin!! I didn't throw them out, I was just angry with the color, yes BROWN is the new BLACK this Fall!!! Also I will run a "Aurora" batch and lower and shorten my temps and time, I would really love to keep my "off the torch" colors. Sorry for the beginner question (i've now been doing this for about 5 weeks) I so appreciate everyones help and suggestions.
Stay happy
Brenda

Cosmo 2006-08-25 6:00am

I anneal Aurora and other colors like that at 1000.

NBN GLASS 2006-08-25 6:24am

No kidding Chad, 1000 would make my life easier on trying to figure out this color!!! I garage at 1000 while I'm working away, I'll leave it that way, skip my steps and just start ramping downward....sounds too easy. THANKS A BUNCH.
Crossing-fingers
Brenda

NBN GLASS 2006-08-27 5:10am

CHAD, did what you suggested and the colors were perfect!!!
THANKS
Brenda

e. mort 2006-08-27 6:11am

Pics?

NBN GLASS 2006-08-27 3:32pm

NO, not yet...only been doing this for less then 2 handfuls of weeks. Give me a few more weeks, these are not eye-worthy yet!
Brenda

Karen Hardy 2006-08-27 3:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beginner
NO, not yet...only been doing this for less then 2 handfuls of weeks. Give me a few more weeks, these are not eye-worthy yet!
Brenda

They don't have to be "eye worthy" - we still want to see them.
Especially if we're talking color issues with boro.
I personally would like to see the difference in Aurora between annealing them at the higher temp
vs annealing them at the lower temp - so if you would post pics for each one and notate what temp
you did them at, that would be most helpful.
This isn't a museum here - it's a learning board, and anything you have to show us is valuable!

C'mon...don't be shy. We'll be gentle....

e. mort 2006-08-27 7:19pm

I agree with Karen. Anything you post is useful to others who are trying to figure out how to better their work, or solve a problem. I started posting my stuff as soon as I started working boro, and I posted some stuff that was...ahem....not that wonderful to look out. However, I did learn a lot from people who were kind enough to look at my stuff, and say "you just need more oxy" or "you worked it too hot so it boiled." A picture really is worth a thousand words. Hey, if you want an example check out my posts on a color that I used to hate, but know love - NS Blue Exotic.

Keep on torching!

LAG 2006-08-28 7:04am

YUP YUP YUP.... what Karen and Eric said...
we want to learn from your mistakes particularly when you have managed to correct it!!