Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boro Room (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Favorite colors? (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149789)

ajwhite 2010-01-01 5:56pm

Favorite colors?

Hey everyone!

I've been working a lot with boro lately. However, I have a very limited palette of glass. What colors do you use often - that you consider indispensable? I know what I use most often in soft glass - but boro is an entirely different animal. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Audra

Karen Hardy 2010-01-01 6:28pm

A good white.
A good black.
Simax Clear.

menty666 2010-01-01 6:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen Hardy (Post 2814728)
A good white.
A good black.
Simax Clear.

cobalt blue
elvis red
elvis yellow
paris green 6

Then a handful of strikers to raise your frustration level :)

hotflashwanda 2010-01-01 6:57pm

Amber Purple
Silver Strike 3
Mystery Aventurine
Blue Passion

Anita
www.nitabeads.com

framerak 2010-01-01 7:34pm

Amber Purple
A good white
Simax or Kimble clear
Blue Moon

Those are my "must haves" but I also like Silver Creek, TAG Heavy Blue Leprechuan, Momka Violet Hue, Momka Exotic Citrus and Momka Cherry Blossom.

ajwhite 2010-01-01 7:42pm

Thanks everyone - I have already found turbo colbalt, jet black, dap and unobtanium to be used often. I also use Dragon's eye a lot. With the elvis red - it is always really dark for me - is it better over other colors? My red implosions are almost maroon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by menty666 (Post 2814732)
cobalt blue
elvis red
elvis yellow
paris green 6

Then a handful of strikers to raise your frustration level :)

playingwithfirebeads 2010-01-01 8:11pm

I use Momka's Silver Tears, Caribbean Coral and Exotic Citrus-Grapefruit a lot.

Bonny

menty666 2010-01-01 10:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajwhite (Post 2814836)
Thanks everyone - I have already found turbo colbalt, jet black, dap and unobtanium to be used often. I also use Dragon's eye a lot. With the elvis red - it is always really dark for me - is it better over other colors? My red implosions are almost maroon.

You can layer it over white to lighten it up a bit, but there's also an Elvis Red light. I've never used it though.

Oh, and you can dilute Elvis with clear too.

kirrakat123 2010-01-02 6:07pm

Hi, I love the boro colors. I only use boro now days. All the colors mentioned are great, but I have added a few other great colors that where not mentioned to try-
Momka Blue Lightning (great blue when stiked)
GA Triple Passion (good standby & all round use)
GA Warm Yellow over any red/purple colours makes lovely soft pinks
TAG Purple Sable (my newest favorite, especially with lots of clear dots)
NS Butterscotch frit is a must have, great on any color, but lovely on black & striked (goes a beatiful blue green specked pattern)
Thanks, Cynthia in Australia (where it is a very wet, humid, hot Summer)

LAG 2010-01-03 9:21am

Momka Blue Lightning, Silver Beach, Violet Hue, Light Purple Haze
NS Blue Caramel..

ajwhite 2010-01-03 9:29am

I keep seeing blue lightening - is it like black lightening in any way? I had a rod of black lightening that had some really cool effects and Frantz was out when I tried to reorder it.

Shawn T 2010-01-03 11:33am

This implosion was made from Blue Lightening, backed in Silver Creek frit.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b5...ur/bjeansE.jpg

ajwhite 2010-01-03 1:42pm

Very cool! Blue lightening is definitely one to try!

Leanne 2010-01-04 8:18pm

I love amber purple, unobtainium, mystery aventurine, tan silver creek, hyacinth (backing pendants), agua azul(backing pendants), NS extra light yellow (mixed with reds for cool fuchsia colours) butterscotch, peacock chameleon....

nagibeads 2010-01-06 12:45pm

so many great colors!

Momka's-Stormy Weather, Violet Hue, Antique Beauty, Blue Treasure, Gerber Pink, Carribean Coral, Crystal Blue, Aurora Trails, Silver Dance, Lemon Yellow, Silver Aqua, Silver Beach....lol...basically all!

Northstar-Unobtanium, Loki's Lipstick(!), DAP, AP, Blue Caramel, Extra light yellow, Cosmic orange, Cherry, Lava, Canary, Millenium Moss, Mystery Aventurine, Jet Black, Silver Seaweed

Glass Alchemy- Persimmon Strike, Teal Carnival, Triple Passion, Paris green, Silver Strike 3, Black Pearl, Aqua Azul, Amazon Bronze

TAG-Elvis light Ruby, Apricot, Orange Elvis, Mandarin

Borostix- Bright White(!), Blush, Eggplant, Indigo, Lime Green

Colormax-white, ivory, lavender, light cobalt

Gillianbeads 2010-01-07 4:59pm

OK...I'm overwhelmed...

Have worked soft glass for 4 years, and decided to try boro (midrange plus & 2 oxycons)...

Well, I ordered a NS full sample pack and a Momka 5" sample pack, 3mm, 6mm, 12mm Simax...and it arrived in a fabulously big box today.

I've unpacked it and now I'm thinking...where do I begin?

I've made a few beads and an implosion pendant with some limited sample rods that I had...but this is like hitting the jackpot!

I'm going to have to spend the weekend making notes and trying things out...tough chore, but I'll be smiling!

...wish me luck...anyone want to come and play??

Over the Moon 2010-01-08 3:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gillianbeads (Post 2824219)
I'm going to have to spend the weekend making notes and trying things out...tough chore, but I'll be smiling!

It's been five glorious years that I've been playing with Boro glass each and every happy day, and I'm STILL "making notes and trying things out" it's a life-long thing ~ that is, when I remember to take notes of course...when I'm not just lost in the pure rapture and gay abandon of it all. :happy:

Have fun!

ajwhite 2010-01-08 9:09am

Here's a question - I bought some exotic red to use in implosions because I read in a thread here that it made a great purple. Well, for me it is just red/rust unless I'm doing something wrong or it needs to be striked. Anyone have a great purple? I've yet to find a consistent one.

BorosilliBeader 2010-01-09 5:49pm

Exotics need to be worked in an over oxy flame. When finished with the peice introduce it to a slightly reducing flame and presto. If purples are your desire, then go with NS Aurora. Aurora is an exotic that will give you almost every color in the rainbow. I like to compare is to a watery oil-stain in a parking lot. Hope this helps.

BorosilliBeader 2010-01-09 5:54pm

2 Attachment(s)
My #1 fav color is NS/Precision EXP Green#5. This piece is EXP Green#5 and Momka Purple Thunder..