Lampwork Etc.

Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tips, Techniques, and Questions (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   I think I invented a tool That doesn't exist.. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200820)

jonibird 2011-07-17 11:22am

I think I invented a tool That doesn't exist..

It puts a very decent hole in hot glass, wham, one easy step! I modified something I found at the dollar store! It really works! I've looked around and do not see any tool like it! What do I do with this? I mean, would it be wrong to try to make a buck? I have alot of doctor bills.....
(Posted in the bathroom, thought I'd ask here too)

*Naos* 2011-07-17 11:54am

Hey I'd be interested! I always have a problem with the tweezers to make holes and tungsten picks don't work for me either.

beadmama 2011-07-17 12:17pm

I would be interested too... I'm not Crazy about the Peter tweezers I bought.

Lizzydee 2011-07-17 12:19pm

me three

SharonP 2011-07-17 12:25pm

The Peters tweezers aren't for making holes in glass, just for marking equal points on both sides of a bead (like targeting where fish eyes should be).

I'd like to see your tool too, I have a heck of a time making holes, especially in button shanks.

*sharon*

Troll Lover 2011-07-17 12:32pm

I'd be interested and imho there is nothing wrong with trying to make a living out of something you came up with :).

jonibird 2011-07-17 12:39pm

Thank you! I was so dang frustrated with this! I had learned to make off mandrel hearts but couldn't get a hole in them and the loop deal freaked me out, I tried the tweezer deal, well made my own, nope.. ah I still remember how frustrated I was, then when I figured it out, ahhhhhhhhhh I was so excited, with no one to tell that really got it! I'll try to post some pictures, that I have trouble with, the sizing! I'd like to see someone take my tool and make it professional, it really works!

beadmama 2011-07-17 12:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonP (Post 3627574)
The Peters tweezers aren't for making holes in glass, just for marking equal points on both sides of a bead (like targeting where fish eyes should be).

I'd like to see your tool too, I have a heck of a time making holes, especially in button shanks.

*sharon*

Thanks Sharon. I did not realize that.#-o

Becky

jonibird 2011-07-17 1:10pm

Going to try to upload a few pictures, the sizing thing kills me.

Angie09 2011-07-17 1:14pm

I'm a graphic designer and would be happy to size them for you ... it would literally take a couple of minutes. If you want, you can send them to me at:

angie@gdetails.com

I'll size them and send them right back.

jonibird 2011-07-17 2:28pm

Thank you Angie, I have been trying, talking about frustration! I just sent you an email, it wouldn't let me type anything! lol I hate computer crap! I should try a better pic, but this is the one I snapped. Thanks again!

Eileen 2011-07-17 2:28pm

You can also get a free program, called Irfanview, that resizes quite easily.
Just resize the image, and then for the web make the quality no more than about 80% to keep your kb size down. (I've tried them at higher and even with the same dimensions it just is too big.)

Angie09 2011-07-17 2:34pm

Here's the pic from Joni showing the holes in the glass hearts .... need to know how to easily do this!!!

Polgarra 2011-07-17 2:42pm

My biggest issue with hearts is making the hole. If it was reasonable I would buy one.

jonibird 2011-07-17 2:45pm

Thanks so much Angie! That's very kind of you, I appreciate it! I just need to sit down and figure the dang picture thing out! I will, I miss so much not being able to participate because I can't figure it out! I hate computer crap!

jonibird 2011-07-17 2:47pm

Thank you Eileen I will give it a shot!!!!

emtjab 2011-07-17 3:43pm

I would be interested in buying one. Or maybe even you can make a tutorial on how to make your own and use it???

Julie

jonibird 2011-07-17 4:51pm

The tutorial idea is interesting!

Karen Hardy 2011-07-17 5:05pm

I think you might make more money by
offering a 5 or 10 $ tutorial on how to
modify the tool, AND offer the tool itself
to those who don't want to do it themselves.

lysa 2011-07-17 5:38pm

[quote=SharonP;3627574]The Peters tweezers aren't for making holes in glass, just for marking equal points on both sides of a bead (like targeting where fish eyes should be).QUOTE]

I have used the Peter's Tweezers to make holes successfully for years. I also have used other tools, but Peter's makes great holes for me

queenofswords 2011-07-17 6:59pm

I bought a tool on lampwork that was inexpensive and works well. If I can figure out who I bought it from I will post it. It looks like reformed needle nose pliers.

SunDoorBeads 2011-07-17 7:14pm

This sounds very interesting and most definitely worth checking out! I can't wait to see what you decide to do. The holes look great so I am definitely intrigued!

whimzicalities 2011-07-17 7:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by queenofswords (Post 3628044)
I bought a tool on lampwork that was inexpensive and works well. If I can figure out who I bought it from I will post it. It looks like reformed needle nose pliers.

The pliers you're talking about sound like the ones that Jodie of Ruskin Designs. Hers are awesome for making holes!

Spookypumba 2011-07-17 8:02pm

OMG I need to be able to make nice consistent holes...I will buy one!!! The tutorial idea is great too I just don't have the time....send me an invoice for the tool and I will be happy to pay it!!!!:wave:

jonibird 2011-07-17 8:44pm

Spooky how's it going in Iowa? I moved from Mason City here to Az, I sure get home sick once in awhile! I'll be sure to let people know when I figure it out!!!

Spookypumba 2011-07-17 9:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonibird (Post 3628198)
Spooky how's it going in Iowa? I moved from Mason City here to Az, I sure get home sick once in awhile! I'll be sure to let people know when I figure it out!!!

OMG so HOT right now!!!! I will have to look around to find the perfect thing but i will be happy to send ya some Iowa memories!!

queenofswords 2011-07-17 11:40pm

Maria: That is exactly what they are and I love them for making my bails. here's the link for anyone wanting to check them out. http://www.etsy.com/shop/RuskinDesigns

Beadanna 2011-07-18 5:37am

I hope you do well with this Joni. Medical bills suck.
Selling a tut on how to modify something from the dollar store sounds great.
I hope we have the same thing this side of the Atlantic. . . :biggrin:

ETA oh and Joni - I don't know about Irfanview, I'm sure it would work. The free program I downloaded is called Gimp and I use that to change the size of my pics so they go easily into the image uploader here.
Pm me if you'd like my route from camera to thread.

jonibird 2011-07-18 6:17am

Thank you Anna!

Shrimp 2011-07-19 5:52am

Bail Biters are available through various sources. If your idea is different from the ones out there, then I would say that you invented it! I like the idea of including a tutorial....or instructions for that matter.

Bail Biter