View Single Post
Old 2005-07-25, 11:53am
Professional Bead Pimp

So, you REALLY don't have any ACTUAL measurements of IR energy getting through a pair of Boroscopes ?? It looks to me to be a bunch of calculations done on a lot of "guesstimates" as to what might actually be happening with a real torch.

I see a few things wrong with your assumptions. Just using common sense tells me these are not quite valid assumptions:

1. The flame is tapered, so it isn't really as big on cross-section as you say.

2. The flame temp is not linear from the torch out 8". The average temp is much lower than 3500 degrees.

3. And who the hell has a 2200 degree HOT ZONE 4 INCHES SQUARE ?? Thats 2/3's the size of a playing card !! Damn few people on this forum I'm sure. That goes for a torch with a 1" DIAMETER flame too.

I, for one, would like to see you do the calculation for a reasonable torch that the average person might own, say a Lynx or a Minor. Assume a flame size of 3/8" cross-section by 6" long, and a working object of say, a 1" diameter bead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Another Analog Brain in the New Digital World" - me
"The fact that nobody understands you doesn't make you an artist" - PopCap Zuma game, Level 12-7

Last edited by BillBrach; 2005-07-25 at 12:12pm.