View Single Post
Old 2008-04-02, 2:41am

Well, I think the lighting has a lot to do with the camera you have, and whether you can adjust the lighting effects if you use incandescent bulbs.

I use a Sony camera for product shots. Yes, Canon's are better... for action shots. The reason I use Sony is because of how it handles low light. Sony's can shoot in the dark, and my camcorder actually DOES shoot in the dark with an infrared function, I can shoot things I can't see. Sony's are slow, not as good with color and clarity (good enough tho), but NO camera handles low light like Sony.

I don't want to set up a lightbox, and buy more junk. So my sophisticated setup consists of an old Sony Mavica (bought it new ages ago, but you can probably get one on Ebay for $100 or less), a $6 60-watt walmart clamp light over my computer desk. A piece of white printer paper.

I put the white paper on my mousepad and prop it on my table clock in back. I throw object on the paper, turn on the 60 watt bulb 1' away, and take a pix. There's no focusing or adjusting, just turn on the macro lens, point and shoot on automatic. The macro will take sharp images as small as 1/2".

The photos do come out yellower due to the lighting, so you have to correct the levels/contrast/brightness in photoshop (or whatever graphics program, any cheapo one will be able to do this), crop the image and I'm done. Takes a minute and costs very little.

This is what they look like (white paper, a white shirt background, a purple scarf background, a white towel background).

The soap pix I shot for a client who needed a pix for her site and didn't have any. I used her soap from our last swap. Soap's nonreflective, but because it's bigger, I put it on my computer chair, got a white towel, threw it over the chair, and turned my clamp light on to the chair. Then point and shot. It's that easy, just get a Sony Mavica if you're lazy.

There is no other photo work done to the below images, other than color correction and cropping, that's what the Sony camera shoots.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Non-Glass Sites:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.