View Single Post
Old 2007-12-30, 11:02am
Floral Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrebeadz* View Post
this is an awsome thread but I really would hope that if you are spending that much time making a bead like this you DON'T put it in a crock pot to anneal (or rather not anneal it). It would be a shame to have it crack at some later point. PLEASE use a kiln! Your heart won't be broken then..........and neither will your bead.
I agree with Donna! Even batch annealing can be tricky once you start adding so many layers - the bead just gets too big to cool evenly in vermiculite... it stays hot on the inside, so it cracks. I didn't have my own kiln for two years and a series of broken florals were finally what drove me to buy one so I could go straight from the flame to the kiln. It *was* heartbreaking when they cracked!

Possibly what DeAnne meant was just giving the bead a final gentle flame bath to even out the worst stress before cooling in vermiculite for batch annealing in a kiln. Some sources still call this "flame annealing" although that term is falling out of style because lampworkers don't want to confuse this process with actual kiln annealing, which is a separate step. Small florals can be batch annealed this way (flame bath, vermiculite cool, batch anneal in kiln), but once they start getting over 15mm thick it gets dicey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2007-12-30 at 11:55am.