View Single Post
Old 2011-08-01, 2:43pm

Default Murano Madness

Ofilia-
The trip can be very economical by staying in a local apartment, shopping at the local store, cooking that wonderful local italian produce in the apartment with new made friends. I still love Laurie, MariAnne and Susan, friends from my one trip with you to study with Lucio. Don't forget the local wine-Amarone and Prosecco are terrific wines and terrific buys while in Italy.

I have fond memories of buying from the floating vegetable seller-I just pointed at the baby artichokes and green beans. I love expensive wine, medium priced wine and OK cheap wine too LOL. So, at the local store they had Barolos for 10 Euros. They would be $50 here or more. Other far less expensive wines were really really good. IMHO the house wine at most restaurants was enjoyable unlike many in the US. The restaurants open at night on Murano served true autehtic Venetian food-oftern at 1/2 to 1/3 the price for the same meal on Venice. Why? No tourists stay on Murano. A visitto the local coffee shop/bakery at least one morning at the base of the Iron bridge is well worth a couple Euros. All locals go there. OK enough about the food and wine.

Living, walking, grocery shoppping with the locals is the way to experience the culture in a way that felt deeper than visiting big tourist sites where I feel like a visitor. Fond memories remain of sitting at canal edge with friends, cheese and OK more wine. We watched the fishing boats go out and the vaporettos go by and soaked it all in.

Plus Lucio is just super nice and happy to have us in the studio learning.

I am smiling and could go on and on but I'm going to my workshop to play now.
Ciao!!!!