View Single Post
Old 2008-08-04, 11:29am
Sheila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ever After View Post
so, in laymans terms, dont do the isbn, thing? simply purchase and distribute your own books?
and big thanks to you guys for the info! and heads up..
Hm, I could have sworn I posted an answer to this the other day. I did a lot of research on self-publishing when I wrote my book (which is not lampwork-related and wasn't published--I sold the content to the company I work for). Anyway...

You only need an ISBN if you plan to sell the book to a distributor or on Amazon. It gives your book a unique identifier that is used by libraries and book stores. If you decide to go that route (I doubt many will) you can buy single ISBNs (they used to be sold only in 10 number blocks). You can find lots of good information on self-publishing at http://selfpublishing.com.

For the laymen: Publishers help you put a book together, may do some marketing for the book, and usually arrange the printing and distribution. Printers just print books. Distributors sell books to stores.

Probably more than you need to know, but information is good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.