View Single Post
Old 2006-01-15, 9:59pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Has the hose set ever been used with another torch like the HotHead or Fireworks torch?

There are documented reports of odorant gunk accumulating in hose sets when the HotHead/Fireworks torch is being used. This occurs for several reasons - no regulator to "filter" the odorant gunk, hose sets laying on the floor below the level of the liquid propane in the tank creating the so-called "suction effect" or pooling.

Also - are you sure that the hose set you are using is a "T" grade hose? If you are using "R" grade, be aware that this material is not suitable for propane use and will degrade with exposure to propane.

What I'd do right now is to replace the hose set entirely. They are not that expensive - usually around $25 or so.

If, after replacing the hoses, you still have this problem, replace the regulator assembly. Then, if necessary, replace the fuel tank.

Take it step by step and sooner or later, the culprit will be found.
Mike, generally speaking, your investigative technique is good, but I think you may be overlooking a few of the clues she gave us.

Michelle said that the line she bought from Canadian Tire was a bar-b-que line with a pancake regulator attached. From this, I would guess that this would be a new line since it was sold from a retailer and that the line was designed for use with propane since it was for a bar-b-que. She also said that it was not used for a HotHead or Fireworks torch.

More importantly, Michelle said that upon inspection, there was no visible oil in the line and that the problem did not present itself with the other torch she attached to the same line.

Further, Michelle said that the Minor burner was "ticking." This is an important clue. The ticking could be caused by internal mixing. I'm not saying it is, but because it is a possibility, the prudent thing to do would be to have the torch examined immediately. A slow internal leak could get bigger.

Michelle, I would suggest you play it safe and have the torch checked out by Nortel. What's the worst that could happen? You already have another torch (the Bobcat), so you would not be without a torch while the Minor was being checked out. If there is nothing wrong with the torch, then you will have some peace of mind.

BTW, if you decide to hook it up and run it (the Minor) before sending it back in, I would recommend using flash-back arrestors in case there is an internal leak.

I hope it all goes well.