View Single Post
Old 2006-05-01, 3:50pm
PyronamixK

Wow, Lynn, I didn't know that about Sundance. I know GlassCraft has a $20 minimum order, but that seems to be a more reasonable amount. I don't like the idea of minimum orders, but I guess I can see why some suppliers do it. I wonder who else has minimums and what they are?

Anyway, if you are in a pinch and cannot wait until your order arrives to make something like a napkin ring, you can try the old steel wool and bead release trick to make a form to build the napkin ring around.

Rough up a section of a mandrel. Get some steel wool and wind it around the mandrel into the short barrel shape needed for a napkin ring center. Dip the form into bead release and coat it well. Let it dry. When it has dried, lightly file the shape to smooth out the surface (wear a mask for this). Wind your glass around the form to build your ring. Keep in mind that if you want to do a set of these, then it would be a good idea to make all your forms ahead of time and get them all the same diameter, or as close to it as you can get.

It really is better to use a large diameter mandrel for this for consistancy and ease of use, but if you want to play around, there it is.