Thread: Pipe tutorials
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-14, 5:37pm
is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeadsGoneWild View Post
OK, I've been making spoons for a little while now and have made a couple dozen of them. I finally have the nerve to show my latest. I'm kinda proud of this one. I only do glass one day a week - wish I could everyday but not in the cards right now. Critique?

First: Compliments. They really look super!

Second: Now to critique........

1.) The carb should be twice the size as the bowl hole. If it isnt, you wont get the clean air to clear the spoon and you gag.

2.) Pop your hole closer to the neck of the spoon. When its popped so that it pushes straight down, its hard to see the bowl when you light it. Move the hole spot and then push that thing down and back.

3.) The bowl (and presumably the bottom that is flattened) has devitrification on it. Easy fix, just hit it back in the flame after you've shaped it and it'll polish itself smooth. Not too hot, just after it starts to glow. When it looks smooth, its perfect!

4.) Carb is "on the wrong side" but only to right handed people. Lefties need some love too but not too much love!

Suggestions, not criticism: Add a few dots of clear to the spoon opposite the carb side. It'll give you great practice melting them in. Use a pinner flame and make sure the entire dot is melted in so it looks like a chocolate chip melting on a pan, not like a cold chocolate chip sitting on one. This is *super* important to get down early!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYOQbRaYXpo

^^^ Thats my spoon tutorial which touches up on every single point above, too....... Hope it helps, and job well done so soon in!