View Single Post
Old 2006-02-09, 5:10pm
tinkmartin.etsy.com

A kit recipient writes:

You mention in the booklet that once the bead is done and if you want to keep it the shiny copper look it should be "sealed". What type of sealer is needed ? If it's a special type of sealer, where can I purchase it ? Also you mention all sorts of patinas that can be used. Since this is soooo new to me, can you also explain this.

Patinas are the “finish” on the copper. Like the blue/green finish on the Amaya’s Song vessel on my Currently Available Work page in my sig. Patinas can be any color at all, and there are tons of products and make it yourself recipes out there for getting different patina/finish colors and effects.

You can use many things as a sealer if you wish to keep the copper from oxidizing. I’ve never used any, because I don’t like the look of bright copper. I either just let a piece age gracefully or I apply a patina. If you do want to seal the surface and keep it shiny bright, there are a number of options. You can use a clear lacquer sealer from any craft store. You can also apply finish waxes.

If you have a Michaels Crafts nearby, take a look at the Sophisticated Finishes product line they carry. They not only have instant (sort of) patinas in a bottle, they also have a primer/clear sealer that should do what you’re asking.

Also Available in
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: my Electroforming for Everyone booklet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.