View Single Post
Old 2006-02-11, 8:38pm
Anna Duhame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink
1) How thick should your electroforming coat be. (my first attempt was kind of thin and then peeled off)?

Did it separate from the paint, or did the coating and the paint both peel off the glass?

Electroforming is just a heavier application of copper than plating is. How thick should it be? Hmmm... Thick enough to get the effect you want It will take some experimentation to learn what works for you, AND to learn what that stage looks like on the finished object. If you look at my piece above, especially the side view, you can see that it's really quite a thin (comparatively) application.

2) When applying "found" objects what kind of glue do you recommend?

I have used everything from white craft glue to epoxy. It didn't seem to make any difference, provided you will be electroforming OVER the found object. The coat of conductive paint also helps hold it in place.

Ultimately, it's the copper that will hold it all together, and your glue just keeps everything where you want it until the copper is laid down.

3) What is the best way to apply the ammonia (and is it regular household ammonia)?

I use a gallon ziplock bag, but you can use Tupperware or whatever else you like. You're essentially crating a "fuming cabinet". I have some plastic
ornament stands from which I hang my work. I put that inside the bag. On the "floor" of the bag, I have a folded up paper towel, and I pour ammonia on the paper towel. Enough to make it nice and stinky

Zip the bag shut, and you're good to go! I like my "fuming cabinet" to be clear so I can watch the progress of the patina.
4) So you don't have to seal it unless you want that bright copper finish?

Oh thank you! These are great answers!

The coating and paint peeled off...maybe my surface wasn't etched enough? I peeled it all off and will try again. I have been experimenting a lot...to see what works...I love this kit, Tink. Thank you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.