View Single Post
Old 2006-12-08, 8:00pm
one day at a time

Here's my etching tutorial for newbies. (or for anyone using this stuff for the first time!)

Get the Etch-All liquid, it's much better and a lot easier than the cream. I use a piece of fishing line about 8-12 inches long (depends on how many beads you want to string onto it), tie a knot on one end, string the beads and dip them with the other end of the line draping over the bottle. To get an even etch, you need to bob the beads up and down in the bottle every now and then.

For 104 COE opaque glass, it takes about 2-5 minutes, for the transparents, about 5-10 minutes. If you get an uneven etch (like small shiny spots near the holes because you didn't "bob" them!), you can go back in for another 5-10 minutes. But this stuff works so well, that rarely is a problem. But remember, while they are in there, bobbing and moving them around in the solution is very important.

After the time is up, transfer the strand into a solution of 1/2 cup water and 2 tsp baking soda (solution ratio doesn't have to be exact) and put them in there for a few minutes to neutralize the acid. It will bubble and fizz a little. Then take the strand out and wash with dish soap. In case of the small chance you may need to repeat, leave them on the piece of line and you will see the soft etched finish as they dry. Remember, they are kinda shiny when they are still wet, so don't let that fool you into thinking they didn't etch long enough!

If you find a chalky white substance on your beads, this does come off easily with a little scrubbing gently with a toothbrush and toothpaste. (yes, toothpaste! ) But don't use the "abrasive" kind if you can avoid it. You know, the toothpastes on the market now for "extra whitening".

Some glass is harder to etch, like Bullseye and some of the frits will etch faster or slower than the base glass that they are used on, so you may have to repeat. You supposedly can't etch boro in this product, but boro is usually etched with sandblasting or tumbling.

I bought 2 bottles three years ago, and I just started on my second bottle. The solution turns a yucky brown after a while, but it still works. Every now and then (make sure lid is on tight!) give the bottle a gentle shake