View Single Post
Old 2006-12-09, 7:03am

I don't pour the etching solution in and out of its container. ('Fraid I'll splash it all over myself!) I have a thick monofilament fishing line, about two feet long, with a boro bead tied to the end. I string the beads (max four at a time, big beads) I want to etch on that and drop them into the etching solution, keeping the lose end of the fishing line out and screwing the cap back on, on top of the fishing line.

In the meantime I have prepared a water and baking soda solution (two tablespoons of baking soda to two cups of water) in a thick plastic tuuperware-like container.

After the etch is done (for me about one minute), I unscrew the cap, pull out the beads and hold them over the open top a few secs to let the excess etch drain back into the bottle, and then gently place them in the baking soda/water solution. It fizzes and when the fizz stops, the acid has been neutralized.

Then I scrub with a nail brush and some detergent. And rinse well, taking care to flush water through the bead hole. (The lead-like deposit that sometimes appears on Copper Green only comes off when I do the nail brush scrub. I guess it's "loosened" by the etch but is still on the surface. Comes off like magic in the scrub stage!)

The baking soda/water solution goes down the drain and the tupperware container is rinsed thoroughly.

Some mentioned gloves and good ventilation. Both GOOD IDEAS! I am more worried about spashes and so I wear safety glasses to prevent any from flying up and getting in my eyes.

To get that good velvety sheen, I polish all my etched beads with Renaissance Wax. Love that finish!!!!

JanMD