View Single Post
Old 2006-12-09, 2:26pm
Missing presumed fed

You can mask areas that you don't want to be etched with nail polish. It may seem obvious, but don't use clear nail polish, or when you're working on the bead you won't be able to tell what parts you've masked already and which remain to be done. (Yes, I made that mistake.) If I'm using a resist, I don't leave the beads in the etching solution more than 3 to 5 minutes. Make sure the nail polish is completely dry, but don't apply it and try to etch the beads months later. The nail polish may come off in the acid. If you're going for fine detail, you may want to use an artist's brush rather than the nail polish brush, and thin the nail polish a little.

Other people have used white glue (Elmer's) for a resist. I haven't tried it. People have reported success using Sharpies and paint pens. I haven't had great success with those. If you try them, make sure you have a good solid line.

I've used stickers and contact paper for resists with mixed results. They work better if the surface of the bead isn't too sharply curved. Don't leave the bead in the acid too long, or the stickers may come off.

Dip n Etch or Etch All makes a Resist Gel. I didn't love it when I tried it -- thought it was too thick and gummy, but some people like it.

If you're ever doing a flat piece of glass, or something that you can't submerge, the etching cream supposedly works better than the liquid, but you have to be careful about streaks. Haven't tried it myself.