View Single Post
Old 2007-06-05, 9:45pm
The Andrea Half

ANd Texas will STAY hot through October. I used to pity the kids from New England who would attend UT Austin and be wearing their woolies in September.

Steve, I lived in Corpus until I was 12 and Austin thereafter ... our mother worked in Galveston on a project and I came over to visit for four months or thereabouts...

And I second the idea of blowing the fan JUST on you. You might set up the equivalent of an old swampp cooler, too-put a small fan between you and the AC to boost the air toward you--and blow it over a large tray of ice cubes.

For what it's worth, while I was a grad student I couldn't afford AC, so I spent every summer in Austin save my very last one (when I was staying with a friend who could afford it) without it, and many nights I put a tray of ice on a trunk at the foot of the bed and had the fan blow over it toward me.

Here in Georgia it isn't so hot, but the humidity's brutal. At least it goes AWAY by mid September, whereas I distinctly remember 100+ degree days in late October in Texas. Unfortunately, it really doesn't seem to get cold here in Georgia, either; the coolest in winter I've seen so far has been mid thirties.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.