View Single Post
Old 2015-11-10, 12:19am

Default Basement Ventilation Setup questions

Sorry to be repetitive, I've read so many Q&A's that my eyes are now glazing over. I will try to make my question brief.

I'd like to set up in my basement. I ONLY plan to use a HH with MAPP gas for the present, as I am just learning, total newbie....so no other fuels will be used.

I have one basement window I can "cut" ( like the dryer exhaust type of thing in the other basement window), I have another window on the opposite wall (behind me) that I can "crack open" .....or/in addition to, I can open the basement back door, which is up a long staircase to the outdoors...and which is far on the other side of the basement area where I'd like to set up.

There is gas heat and the water tank in the area where I would "open the window" in the corner (behind me).

Is this a feasible area to set up a small lampworking work place?? I would get an exhaust fan with at least 500 power......the distance from the torch working table to the window would be rather short (just a couple of yards), sort of upward in direction, and only a small "elbow" curve right at the window where it would go outside. I would set up a carbon monoxide detector as well.....but a concern I have is the pilot light in the natural gas burner/water heater section across the room behind me. I worry about toxicity and combustion.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I'm sure you all know how crappy it is to be a total newbie......this one area is what bedevils me.....I've read as many books as I can find, and tutorials, videos etc. It is just this ONE area that I need some serious assistance with. Many many thanks, I am so grateful for the time and patience here. ~peace & love