View Single Post
Old 2015-02-22, 9:27pm
Phill

She does acid etching on copper and brass mostly and I am afraid I got that confused with what we are talking about here. She tapes the metal with inked designs to the underside of some Styrofoam and puts it in that setup I described and sets the whole thing on her dryer while she has a wash load to dry. (Homemade stirring plate).

As for electroplating anything plastic will also work just fine.

You will want to pick something with a positive catch to the lid. A simple coffee can lid might let the contents leak if it got knocked over so the taller Rubber Maid containers would be good.

As to the kitty litter and the baking soda; the litter is only going to soak up the spill but I don't think it will neutralize the acid so it will just become hazardous kitty litter. The baking soda will neutralize the chemical properties of the acid and render it safe to put in the land fill with the garbage so you want probably twice as much baking soda by volume as the liquid acid maybe more. Too much is a lot better than not enough even by a little bit.

I know Sam's Club has baking soda in 13 pound bags and Wally
world probably has it in quantity too.

If you have inquisitive cats you might want to go the full monty and store it all in one of those larger plastic tubs with the snap down lids just to be safe. A belt and suspenders approach is always safer.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-02-22 at 9:30pm.